Cord cutters?

Any out there? My TWC bill just went up $30 for cable, so looking at cutting it out Monday. I have 36 Mbps Internet, so streaming multiple devices is not an issue at all. Just picked up a few HDTV antennas and can get 1080p CBS, NBC, and ABC. Looking at Sling TV for $25 to get ESPN, Disney, and AMC. That’s all we watch. We also have Netflix for reruns and old movies and a huge dvd collection. Anyone out there done the same or tried sling tv yet?

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

Any out there? My TWC bill just went up $30 for cable, so looking at cutting it out Monday. I have 36 Mbps Internet, so streaming multiple devices is not an issue at all. Just picked up a few HDTV antennas and can get 1080p CBS, NBC, and ABC. Looking at Sling TV for $25 to get ESPN, Disney, and AMC. That’s all we watch. We also have Netflix for reruns and old movies and a huge dvd collection. Anyone out there done the same or tried sling tv yet?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I'm curious about Sling- we're seriously considering cutting it, because they keep raising the price for 500 channels we don't watch and maybe 30 we do, but my wife would miss all of her terrible reality tv.

got a ■■■■■■■■■ with Kodi. Somebody in the cable thread told us about Kodi and Genesis. Great so far. Lots of TV shows, movies and sports. No subscription no fees. Just need hi speed Internet’s

Kodi looks complicated. Do you have ESPN, AMC, and Disney live streaming?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Yes

Yes

I don’t know

The user interface is not as friendly as Netflix or Amazon prime. Complicated, maybe. I’m a month in and I can find what I want

It’s fairly inexpensive. Mine was $100 already loaded with Genesis and other stuff I don’t use

Thanks Pea. Pretty cool. Just spend the last hour checking Kodi out on Google.

Going to give it try. Fire Stick with Kodi and Jarvis loaded is going for around $60 on Ebay right now.

Love Kodi. We’ll be cord cutting soon.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Call TWC and tell them you are considering canceling service due to rate increases. I do it every 12 months and they lower my rate back to a “promotional” rate. It sucks you have to do that but it usually knocks $30-40 off a month. I am waiting for a simpler solution to telling cable “see ya”.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel
I'm curious about Sling- we're seriously considering cutting it, because they keep raising the price for 500 channels we don't watch and maybe 30 we do, but my wife would miss all of her terrible reality tv. [/quote]

Daniel we use sling in conjunction with a digital antena and like it. I did add the upgraded sports package and all the lifestyle stuff for Steph( gonna go ahead and tell you that you will be doing the same for your wife as well)but it’s still only around 45.00 a month. Only draw back is the crap interweb service on Edisto occasionally causes some skipping. Currently watching Huston throttle UConn on it right now with perfect picture quality.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Call TWC and tell them you are considering canceling service due to rate increases. I do it every 12 months and they lower my rate back to a “promotional” rate. It sucks you have to do that but it usually knocks $30-40 off a month. I am waiting for a simpler solution to telling cable “see ya”.

Just did that at AT&T last week. Bill went down $75 a month. Bunch of freakin crooks; I asked the woman how she sleeps at night…no response.

We cut about a year ago… Roku on the kids TV’s, Smart TV in the main room & access via game system in the kids play room.
-Netflix
-Amazon Prime
-Hulu

We take the 30 day free offers from HBO/Stars and catch up on some of the series we like.

We need to check out the fire stick & ad a digital antenna for local stuff.

Since my Eagles look promising this year I paid $100 for NFL game pass - I get full replays of every game played, and can watch a condensed version that shows a complete game in about 35 min.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Just did that at AT&T last week. Bill went down $75 a month. Bunch of freakin crooks; I asked the woman how she sleeps at night…no response.

We are considering cutting the cord and going with sling but when we called AT&T to cancel/change our “bundle” the guy said they have a very good promotion coming out in October. He said it was the best deal he had ever seen but wouldn’t be available till October. I figure we will see if it is as good as they say before we cut it.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

I can’t find the other thread about offing cable. there’s good stuff in there about cable cutting.

I am new at all this. I am a fisherman, therefore I lie like a rug. so don’t believe a word of what i say…

the ■■■■■■■■■ works off a wireless signal from your router. I have the highest speed comcast we can get. I STILL have buffering issues about 20% of the time - this means that the show we’re watching lags and pauses while the feed catches up.

you can buy Android boxes that have a wired/ethernet connection into the box, and I believe this would speed the connection considerably. similarly, I have computers hooked up to the modem via wireless and ethernet. the ethernet is much faster.

KODI interface - is not friendly and is not intuitive. but you can find what you want to watch. it just takes longer for me than the netflix and amazon prime interface.

there is addon called sportsdevil that has live and delayed events, there must be thousands of shows on that alone.

we’ve watched movies on the kodi that are still at the theatre. so the legality of all this…who knows.

there’s live major league baseball for every team i think. there’s massive nfl content [who cares?] and lots of other stuff we don’t care about

quote:
Originally posted by Edisto82
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

I’m curious about Sling- we’re seriously considering cutting it, because they keep raising the price for 500 channels we don’t watch and maybe 30 we do, but my wife would miss all of her terrible reality tv.

Daniel we use sling in conjunction with a digital antena and like it. I did add the upgraded sports package and all the lifestyle stuff for Steph( gonna go ahead and tell you that you will be doing the same for your wife as well)but it’s still only around 45.00 a month. Only draw back is the crap interweb service on Edisto occasionally causes some skipping. Currently watching Huston throttle UConn on it right now with perfect picture quality.

Well (**()...have to look at it seriously now.

I have playstation vue. it is an app on my roku TV and on my tablet. it cost $30 for the smallest package, has most of what i want. and netflix, $10. 30 MBS internet from wow, $25

PS

Roku has lots and lots of music channels with videos. They have one called Honky Tonk that has old country music, like Hank senior, Merle, Johnny Cash, etcetera

Some of the old guys like me and RBF enjoy this old stuff. But it’s got whatever you want

quote:
I am new at all this. I am a fisherman, therefore I lie like a rug. so don't believe a word of what i say...

Me too! I don’t even know the words of what yall are talking about :face_with_head_bandage: If I’ve got to learn all that just to watch TV, the hell with it! Ain’t worth watching anyway.

My wife is the TV person around here. We have Dish and DSL bundled through Windstream. She’s got a Sony XBox she uses wireless for Netflix and Hulu, and something else. I’ve never even turned it on. Don’t know how and don’t even want to.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

My biggest problem is with internet. Comcast is a joke, so we’ve been running 18 Mbps AT&T internet @ $65/month…

WOW offers 25 Mbps @ $25/month, but says they can’t come to my neighborhood…BUT MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR HAS WOW! THE BOX IS ALMOST IN MY YARD! Doesn’t make any (**() sense.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

And WOW has no limits on data usage

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

I can’t find the other thread about offing cable. there’s good stuff in there about cable cutting.

I am new at all this. I am a fisherman, therefore I lie like a rug. so don’t believe a word of what i say…

the ■■■■■■■■■ works off a wireless signal from your router. I have the highest speed comcast we can get. I STILL have buffering issues about 20% of the time - this means that the show we’re watching lags and pauses while the feed catches up</font id=“orange”>.

you can buy Android boxes that have a wired/ethernet connection into the box, and I believe this would speed the connection considerably. similarly, I have computers hooked up to the modem via wireless and ethernet. the ethernet is much faster.

KODI interface - is not friendly and is not intuitive. but you can find what you want to watch. it just takes longer for me than the netflix and amazon prime interface.

there is addon called sportsdevil that has live and delayed events, there must be thousands of shows on that alone.

we’ve watched movies on the kodi that are still at the theatre. so the legality of all this…who knows.

there’s live major league baseball for every team i think. there’s massive nfl content [who cares?] and lots of other stuff we don’t care about

For lagging/ buffering,try using a different source. I’ve also found that HD lags less than 1080 hpdi and doesn’t lose too much detail. Another maintenance tip is to ‘clear cache’ every once in a while to keep the system running smoothly.

Someone needs to start a forum with the list of movies that have been upgraded from camera view to HD. I can’t watch camera view. Watching people get up to get popcorn or walk in front of the camera is funny though.

If you ain’t hooked, you ain’t doing it ri