Costa Sunglasses - Too expensive for this headache

I was thrilled to get my first pair of Costas last year. Great glasses. But I’ll never buy a pair again. I can swallow the $60 lens replacement fee. After-all, the lens is what the glasses are all about.

But the company has a policy that will not allow them to ship you new lenses. You must send them in and wait the 6 week turn-around time. PLUS a $15 installation fee! When I told them how crazy that was, the customer service rep said “It’s because summer ended and everybody’s gearing up for next year”. What kind of spoon fed nonsense is that? I wear my glasses year round. Are you kidding me?

So being the stubborn Aries I am, I told them how pleased I was with their product and it’s unfortunate that I’ll never buy a Costa product again because of their customer service and insane policy on lens replacement.

If you’re looking at making the $150 plunge into a pair of Costas, I hope you find this “review” helpful. I’d also suggest staying away from mirrored lenses. They scratch like butter.

I sent a pair in to have the rubber around the nose piece replaced. They couldn’t replace the part and didn’t make that style anymore. They let me pick a new pair and sent it to me for $11.95. So, my experience with their customer service was good. That being said, I think for what they cost, they’re overrated. I’ll take my $50 Sunclouds any day, followed by my Smiths.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I own 3 pair that way when I have to send one in i have a back up. Still a great product & service in my opinion.

You can always make money but you cant make time.

Last year around this time I had a pair where the lenses were completely smashed. I sent them off and i think it was $80 or something but they ended up sending me a whole new pair in 2 weeks. IMO they are worth every penny if they protect your eyes and they will last forever if you take care of them.

17’ Mako

I agree with these others…a backup pair is necessary if you can’t go without them.

The $60 is because even if one lens is broken they have to replace both, something about a matched pair of lenses.

Also, Jackson Davenport downtown can and will replace lenses for you on the spot…

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Have used their return policy several times and never had an issue. Send them in via ups and the turnaround is quicker.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

I have 2 pair. Wore Ray Bans for years, Costa beats then hands down.

If you watch the Steep & Cheap website, you can get a nice pair for under $100. I think I paid $90 for the last pair I bought.

I got a box full of Jimmy Houstons on the boat. Fish can’t see my sunglasses till they’re going to the cooler. They aren’t fashion conscious.

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy

I got a box full of Jimmy Houstons on the boat. Fish can’t see my sunglasses till they’re going to the cooler. They aren’t fashion conscious.

The deal with Costa del Mar is not fashion. It’s function. The reason I own three pairs…one for offshore, one for inshore, and one for everyday and driving. The lenses are designed for certain things, and they function great for what they were designed for.

No such thing as an all-around lens that excels in all three of those environments. Sure, some will “do,” but most leave the experienced wearer wanting more.

To each his own, of course.

Wadmalaw native

What Fritz said. Owned several dozen pairs and never been charged more than $75 dollars to make the 580s like new. Normally around 30-50. Glass 580s are as tough as they get for scratch resistance IMO.

From what i have learned over time, and trust me i have had alot of sunglasses due to losing alot to the ocean and being to stubborn to put a float on them.

The only sunglass companies i even look at when I walk in to Shades to get a new pair is Smith,Costa and one of Smith’s sister compaines Suncould if i want a cheap pair.

The rest wont back up their product or for me personally because my head is the size of a large pumpkin, just dont fit right

Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn’t go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks.

Coastas suck. Warrentee isn’t worth it

quote:
Originally posted by FishinMission

From what i have learned over time, and trust me i have had alot of sunglasses due to losing alot to the ocean and being to stubborn to put a float on them.

The only sunglass companies i even look at when I walk in to Shades to get a new pair is Smith,Costa and one of Smith’s sister compaines Suncould if i want a cheap pair.

The rest wont back up their product or for me personally because my head is the size of a large pumpkin, just dont fit right

Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn’t go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks.

What’s your pumpkin sized head’s frame of choice?

Mine is large as well and all of my pairs are Zanes…but supposedly they’re abandoning or already have abandoned the frame.

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

What’s your pumpkin sized head’s frame of choice?

Mine is large as well and all of my pairs are Zanes…but supposedly they’re abandoning or already have abandoned the frame.

Wadmalaw native

The one day i leave my shades at work of course… i will let you know in the morning. They are Sunclouds though. Fit perfect, and they were only 60$ retail, Smith guy was in the store when i bought them and gave me a 20
$ off coupon too. Go see steven or Brandon at Shades mt pleasant or sullivans and they will get you hooked up, Everytime i go in they grab about 15 pairs that fit my big old head perfect. smiths and sunclouds seem to be the best honestly for head size

The common theme I’m seeing here is “I own multiple back-up pairs”. Maybe I’m just not as wealthy, but $150 + $300 worth of back-up sunglasses sounds insane to me.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give Jackson Davenport a shot. Costa customer service can pack sand as far as I’m concerned.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

I agree with these others…a backup pair is necessary if you can’t go without them.

The $60 is because even if one lens is broken they have to replace both, something about a matched pair of lenses.

Also, Jackson Davenport downtown can and will replace lenses for you on the spot…

Wadmalaw native

Suncloud is made by Smith optics and is an excellent product with a great warranty.

I wore Smith’s back in my dirt biking days. They were great glasses. I think I’ll get another pair of them. I remember calling them once to get the nose guard replaced and they sent me a complimentary pair of lenses. That’s customer service above and beyond!

quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I’m going to see if I can find these at one of their local dealers: http://www.suncloudoptics.com/SUNGLASSES/Injection-Molded/Swagger/p/S-SGPPGYGNS?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Suncloud is made by Smith optics and is an excellent product with a great warranty.

FW, how much is sight fishing a part of your fishing experiences?

Null. Haven’t tried it. Plenty of luck with my select spots and a Carolina rig. :slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

FW, how much is sight fishing a part of your fishing experiences?