Costa Warranty Problem

I’ve bought 2 pair of Costas in my life. First pair was a black on black Blackfin bought direct from a Sunglass Hut or something. Second was a amber on tortoise shell Blackfin bought off of craigslist for a killer deal with a tiny spot on one lens that wasn’t in the normal line of sight.

After a long while, the tortoise pair’s nose guard started coming off. I sent the pair in for the $11 repair fee, they called and told me the lens had a manufacturer defect and the nose guard was a mfg problem too, but the frame/lens combo wasn’t available anymore. They gave me free choice of any available pair I wanted. I chose the wood-looking Blackfin, love them, was ecstatic with the service.

The black ones started to have the same rubber come off, but on the ear. I sent them in, even looked to see if they still sold them which they do. I get an email to call them. They said it’d be $129 to repair because I’ve replaced the lens and stretched the frame. I was blown away, I bought them at a legit place and never replaced the lenses. They escalated it internally, but I’m not sure what to think.

Anyone have any input?

Meanwhile, I dropped my wood-looking pair and it shattered the lens, perfect hit on a brick walkway. Probably 7 years of owning a pair of these and I’m suddenly breaking and counterfeiting everything I touch.

BG

I’ve sent back a few pairs over time and only ever had to pay the $10 shipping fee. They either repaired them or replaced them. Any of the rubber that is on the frames nowadays seems to wear down very quickly. Used to leave my in the car with no worries, but not anymore. I was even told by Costa that sweat over time can break the material down. I mean, who sweats out in the heat, expect for Bangstick. Hopefully they’ll take care of you.

That was my previous experience, but now they are telling me that I replaced the lenses, which I didn’t. I bought them from a reputable place too. It’s very concerning. Not sure what to make of it.

BG

Really??? You’re going to tell the world about my inability to sweat? Low blow, buddy. Low blow.

To stay on topic, Costa was always willing to replace or repair my glasses anytime I had an issue but I just got tired of constantly having to send glasses back so I switched and went back to Oakley. They were rugged enough to wear while deployed so surely on the water would be a breeze. Plus, the new prism lenses they have are crystal clear and because they’re not glass, the glasses are VERY light and comfortable. Granted, the glass lenses on the Costas are more durable (harder to scratch).

Hey Juice…you’re not and you don’t.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall…you are never out of the fight.

Sunclouds, $50 or less and a great lifetime warranty which I have used with no issues. I will say, I returned a pair of Costas for a “rubber problem” and because they didn’t make that model anymore, they let me pick a replacement pair. I did but seldom wear them, I really prefer one of the 4 pairs of Sunclouds I have.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I ordered a new pair for work on the boats and got sent the wrong pair (different lens and frame color-Harpoons) returned it asking for the correct ones and they wouldn’t send me the right pair for no reason. With that being said, I see better with costas than I do my prescription glasses so they are really good glasses. Also I like my Maui Jims too. Just my two cents

There is no substitute for hard work-Thomas A Edison

That’s why I dont fool with Costa’s, too many problems with them, Maui Jim’s the way to go IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by InshoreAngler

That’s why I dont fool with Costa’s, too many problems with them, Maui Jim’s the way to go IMO.

Bingo

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Sunclouds, $50 or less and a great lifetime warranty which I have used with no issues. I will say, I returned a pair of Costas for a “rubber problem” and because they didn’t make that model anymore, they let me pick a replacement pair. I did but seldom wear them, I really prefer one of the 4 pairs of Sunclouds I have.

I bought a pair of these 6 years ago, wore the hell out of them, paint peeling, very small bubble on one lens…I submitted a claim online and mailed them back on a Monday this past March. Got an email from them on that Thursday stating glasses were defective, go online and pick out any pair, call customer service with this claim number and we’ll mail you that pair. I had a new pair in the mail the next Monday. 7 Days total…I am a customer for life now…

quote:

x2 made the switch a few years ago. Very happy with the glasses and warranty!!

Anyone of you fellas have Sunclouds AND a large cranium? Mine is large…not freakishly large, but large enough. Which frame do you wear?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I have the Voucher and the Sentry. I sent back the Hook model and they didn’t have any in stock which is why they told me to pick a pair. I picked the Voucher, obviously I never tried that pair, but the CS rep told me to send them back and we’ll just keep picking pairs until I find the right ones. I went up to Tanger and tried that pair on the next day and decided they were good. Ended up buying the Sentry while I was there just because of the no hassle experience from Suncloud. You can also get them from LL bean, so you know you can return them at either place. Their website (Suncloud) gives frame sizes but I’d rather try them on first.

Edit: That place in Tanger included a free case, cleaner and pair of Croakies with purchase when I bought them.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Anyone of you fellas have Sunclouds AND a large cranium? Mine is large…not freakishly large, but large enough. Which frame do you wear?

Wadmalaw native

Turbine frame, i promise you your head isnt bigger than mine

Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn’t go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks.

Sent off a pair this morning for a warranty issue, let’s listen in*

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Buddy, check out their website. They list frame sizes with each style. They have sizes for large and XL fit. For $50 or less, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

http://www.suncloudoptics.com/SUNGLASSES/Injection-Molded/c/1100

Will never buy anything else, can see better than with my prescrips! Can’t beat the price. Never had to use the warranty.

Update: Costa rep that I spoke to last week said they would escalate and send a supervisor to go check my pair out and I’d hear back within 24 hours. I hadn’t heard yet and it has been almost a full week. Had a moment, so I called them. They put me on hold for a bit right after the first real person contact, I was contemplating what I was going to say when I heard back. She came back on and said just another moment, a supervisor was going to grab my glasses right then. Total hold of probably 5 minutes with a contact in the middle to update me, meh. She came back to say that they were going to replace 100% with the standard $11.95 fee and said that the pair was a super old and that the lens weren’t made anymore. The techs hadn’t seen them in a while and didn’t recognize them. So, I’m back on track. New pair on the way.

I’d noticed that several newer pairs I’ve gotten had the grade of lens etched into the left lens. I guess that was what they were looking for. When filling out the repair form online before submission, I guessed that I bought these in 2010, but may have been before that. That probably plays a factor. If they started etching in 2010 and I actually purchased in 2008, then I could have set myself up for failure. Who knows when you bought your glasses, especially that long ago. I was trying to guess by where I thought I worked when I bought them, those are 5-8 year brackets!

BG

quote:

Buddy, check out their website. They list frame sizes with each style. They have sizes for large and XL fit. For $50 or less, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

http://www.suncloudoptics.com/SUNGLASSES/Injection-Molded/c/1100

Yeah I saw that…which is why I asked. Am I a large or an XL?

Wadmalaw native

I’ve only seen your head once and to be honest I wasn’t paying that much attention. I was too excited about my new AR. I would say the Conductor or the Milestone might be a good fit. If you really think you have a big head, I’d try the Warrant. Half Moon Outfitters used to carry Sunclouds, you might check them out.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

Mayor and milestone both have large frames.