Crab and Shrimp fishing Isle of Palms

We are coming down to Isle of Palms in mid July and looking to shrimp and crab and were wondering what would be the closest areas to give this a try? Also, what licenses would I need to purchase and where would I purchase them? Thanks in advance!

You need a saltwater fishing license for each participant 16 or older. Chicken backs on a string off a dock or other public access area for crabs. You may be able to catch a few brown shrimp if you have a boat. The white shrimp are not any size yet in the creeks.

Olde Man Charters

So you are saying stick to crabbing? I have been crabbing a bunch of times before just never shrimping. What months to the shrimp come to size to keep? And does anybody else no of any areas on the sound side? I have always had better luck catching crab on the sound. Thanks!

Brown shrimp are caught this time of year but are harder to find in enough numbers free casting a cast net. The white shrimp are now in the creeks but are very small. They grow rapidly and will be bait size in about a month, eating size a little later. The best shrimping is for the whites and begins to turn up in August through November.

Olde Man Charters

there is an exemption for license requirement when crabbing with drop nets or chicken necks, fyi. throwing a cast net or deploying a crap trap, however, does require a license.

General Information
The following laws pertain to recreational saltwater fishing, shrimping, crabbing and shellfishing. Individuals (age 16 and older) harvesting marine resources, including finfish, oysters, clams, shrimp and crab must purchase an annual, temporary or 3 Year Saltwater Recreational Fishing License - unless fishing on a licensed public fishing pier; fishing on a licensed charter vessel while under hire; using 3 or fewer drop nets, 3 or fewer fold up traps, or 3 or fewer handlines with no hooks and a single bait per line (chicken necking); or shrimp baiting (which requires a shrimp baiting license).
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/saltwaterregs.html

like sulcata said, mid-july is kind of a poor time for eating-size shrimp due to the life cycles of our 2 predominant species. there will be lots of crabs shallow in the creeks and sandy inlets.

Any specific bridges or areas nearby IOP to go crabbing? Everything on the sound side looks like it is privately owned and I can’t find anything on the web except some people say the bridge by breach inlet which looks dangerous with the cars.

there is room to stand and throw a pot or line out, but if you have kids I wouldn’t recommend it. There are some community docks on the wando that you could probably get onto without anyone giving you too much trouble, but just depends haha.

Check out Pitt St, on the mount pleasant side of Sullivan’s. Not as close to IOP but free, safe for kids, and a good bit of crabbing there. Less turf when it’s low tide, but always seems like plenty of space out there

quote:
Originally posted by barbawang

Check out Pitt St, on the mount pleasant side of Sullivan’s. Not as close to IOP but free, safe for kids, and a good bit of crabbing there. Less turf when it’s low tide, but always seems like plenty of space out there

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I can’t stand how many crabbers are there on weekends. To be honest they don’t seem to catch much either. However I think this is due to using the wrong bait. If you net some minnows/mullet throw them in there with the chicken and you might have more luck. Don’t hog a spot that is built down to the pier header if you don’t need to. It really is a nice place.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

I don’t fish there- don’t go on weekends! Looks like you could walk down onto the exposed bank at low tide and chicken neck/dip net too… But I think the same could be done at the steeper edges around breach inlet