Dead and gone

Does anyone have any experience in doing this or know any further info?

1 Like

Its my understanding that those arrangements are overseen at the county level in south cakalakie,
unless its changed in the past few years.

A little early to be worried about your final resting spot Id hope

Number of places that will cook my ass , anywhere from $750 to $1,500.
Then they can go toss me in the marsh on outgoing tide.
Easy peasy no fuss no muss.

2 Likes

Simplicity Funeral Services is a good Funeral home

2 Likes

I ain’t wasting hard earned money on an industry that preys on good folks’ emotional state. My plan A was to donate to the science folks but they have some caveats so I’m looking for a plan B and stumbled across private land family burials which might move to plan A if I can find the laws or regulations. I would favor a dirt nap on what’s currently my temporary home on earth. I will bet there’s some kind of permit in Charleston Co. Since they make you get a permit to get a permit. I’m hoping Fred, EF or Fripp will volunteer to do a little digging when it’s time? I’d do it for them.

1 Like

I used to work with a guy that dug graves as a side job.He dug them with a shovel in down town Charleston in places where they couldn’t get equipment into. He told me he got fifty dollars per grave.

I would have to be off hungry today at grave for $50…

And yes these funeral directors are like slimy car salesman. The owner of the company I work for fell over dead about 9 years ago. They milked his wife for a small fortune. Even had a picture of the family engraved on top of the casket.
I bet she spent close to $50,000.

After digging in 12” topsoil with clay next, this beach sand is a dream. I might just dig me own grave and cover it until the Lord calls. Only trouble is it washes in quick

We have a family cemetery, and while we have 100% ownership over it, well still use a funeral home service to do the actual digging. I guess you wouldn’t have to, but its not really something I’ve thought about. There’s a lot of effort that goes into putting someone in the ground in a respectful manner, by slowly lowering them down. Funeral homes do get paid a lot, but they are handling something that most people can’t, very peacefully and respectfully.

I wouldn’t dig your grave for you, but I’d certainly spread some ashes in a lovely marsh flat that holds the biggest of tailing redfish on the most beautiful of flood tide evening. I can’t think of anything more appropriate for an old salt being put to rest.

Just waiting on the wife to get out he shower so we can put some meat on the grill… Death and funeral homes are (imo) a huge money-making endeavor. Dad did not want to be embalmed nor did he want a vault. He got both because the funeral home talked Mom into it during a time of grief. He actually wanted to be cremated but bowed to Mom.

Personally, I’ve asked my wife to cremate me and take me to every spot we loved and release a little ash… Death should not be any more burden than it already is.

1 Like

Do your shopping now. Pick a place and what you want done. You can prepay and finalize all arrangements so that when it’s time it’s all decided and paid for. One call to the funeral home and they pick up the body, and do whatever was already decided.

Last one I was involved in was a cremation. Inexpensive, easy and it’s done.

2 Likes

Bay, if you are interested, or maybe even if you’ve fallen on hard times, either way I can dispose of your carcass in a couple different ways.
We can “cover” the details later…,however my initial thought would be to set you out in the marsh on a full moon and catch blue crabs and stonies off your noggan at high tide and fiddlers off your toes on the low.

Just a thought…stay in touch

EF

2 Likes

Cremate me and then take my ashes and leave a little bit of me in all of my favorite places. Think about all of the good times we had when we were there.

I appreciate what a good, ethical funeral home does but, man is it expensive. My dad was an attorney, and he represented a good Funeral home in Columbia. He had to do collections for them because people would order $10-20,000 funerals and never make a payment. I know there are probably some funeral homeowners that use a person’s grief to upsell everything but, often people’s guilt would also make them pay for extravagant things to assuage their guilt, knowing they could not pay for it down the road. I actually got assaulted one time serving papers on a woman for a funeral she never made a payment on.

How dare they expect anyone to actual pay!!

Cremation, standard cardboard box and 10 copies of the death certificate. Approximately $1,350. Sign the contract and pay. Done. Get a handful of the good candy while you are at the funeral home.

They pick up the body, notify the coroner and Social Security, wait the required # of days, burn it and provide you the ashes and certificates.

Set it up ahead of time. If the person is at home it’s just one phone call. If in a care facility, they make the call if you gave them the info.

That’s how the in-laws were done. Buried the ashes in the family plots in Walterboro and scattered ashes in a couple places.

I think Id like a headstone, it matters not to me if ashes or skin and bones lay under it, but you never know who might come looking for you in the future.

This is my 7th great grandfather, hes burried on land my family held from a land grant from the a revolutionary war up to just after the civil war broke out

There’s a small graveyard on a plot we own, in Pickens. Eleven graves, if I remember correctly. Only a stone, and a divot in the dirt, marks those graves.

An appropriate simple tune for that time…

Iron & Wine - Dead Man’s Will - YouTube

1 Like

I think I’d like a stone as well, my neighbor has his leaning up against an old shed with everything on it except his death date.

I just want to get everything in place so it’ll maybe easier on the family.

Got a spot picked out between a grand old live oak and camellia bushes someone long ago planted

1 Like

Bay
I will swing by and you can show me where you going to be planted. Give me $1,000 retainer and I guarantee you I dig the hole if I’m still kicking within 90 days of you kicking the bucket.

Hey Bay, I might be able to help you out? As long as you don’t mind a red clay vault, and several yards of cold concrete, for filler?

I’ll even etch your name, and dates, into the concrete, before it sets up.

LMAO…