Deep Hole Sonar Questions

Hi There,

Working with a new Garmin chart plotter/sonar combo. I don’t know the model number. I understand that I’m looking for “fuzz” or “candles”. My questions are:

Do you mess with the zoom? (I assume yes)
Bottom Lock? (I assume off)
Gain? (I figure set to auto because too much gain = much back scatter)
Range? (I assume set to auto since we’re kind of back and forth across the edge of the channel)

We went to the harbor today and I landed 2. I have no problems consistently opening the 10 ft taped net. Any advice is appreciated.

Narcosis

here was my same question back in 2018 with pics of my Garmin. hope this helps. i sold that boat and have something different now so don’t know yet with this.

1 Like
      Do you mess with the zoom? 

Yes, zoom all the way in

Bottom Lock?

Yes, bottom lock off. You use bottom lock to stop the scroll and take a closer look at what you just went over, (so maybe once you see what you are looking for.)

Gain? 

Manual. You need to set the gain as high as possible for the conditions you are in (depth, temp, salinity, clarity, etc…) Turn it all the way up until the screen clutters and then just barely back down.

Range?

Manual. Just set the upper and lower limits. According to the unit the gain limit will likely work better

I would recommend when you throw the net and hit the mother load that you use the bottom lock at that point and look closely at what you are seeing. Continue tweaking the gain keeping it as high as possible without clutter mucking up the presentation.

Maybe that will help, let us know

3 Likes

Whatever happened here?