Dive Buddies

I am looking to add a few names to the boat roster. I usually run out to about 100’. Dive 2-3 tanks per diver per trip…Shoot some fish…and get in some bottom fishing. I have not trolled much but am not opposed to it and could use some tips/advice. I have some good numbers (and some not so good). Plenty of tackle for most situations. I have a somewhat flexible schedule, am off a lot of weekdays, and work every third weekend. I often find a great window to go out on a weekday but can’t find divers, plenty of anglers. I have a 28 foot Hydra-Sport well maintained with required safety gear. You won’t be disappointed in the boat. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM with your name and number and we can smoke over the details.

Thanks, Bill

Hello I am new to Charleston Fishing and would like to be considered as a dive buddy. I live in Hampton and can usually go if seas are good.

COCKTAILS

Shoot me a PM with your contact info and we will make it happen. I am thinking about next wed. If not definitely May 2. Grouper season will be open.

I am working on getting my nitrox cert, but I have all my own gear otherwise and am a Padi Dive Master. Also comfortable free diving up to 80ft. Only available weekends though for the most part due to work

Coastal Prints - Custom Fish Prints! You catch it, I print it. Visit www.coastal-prints.com to view other prints that I have done.

Hey,

I’m not scuba certified (yet), and I have been procrastinating getting certified. I have an instructor buddy who say’s he’d be glad to certify me whenever i have the time… med student here so always short on time.

Regardless, I just thought I’d introduce myself to the forum in case a diver ever needs someone to just watch the boat while they are down. I also love bottom fishing. I do have my own boat and all, just in case you were wondering. My availability is sporadic at best, but there’s always a chance.

I’m currently training for free diving actually, or trying to. years ago, I used to free dive in Australia back when i was in shape with a camera down to 30 feet or so… but I wasn’t really trying very hard. My goal is to get in shape and be able to free dive at least the freddy day wreck or the charleston 60. Haven’t tried much actual free diving yet, but I do know I can swim 50 meters underwater in a pool with crappy fins, and almost 50 meters without fins… trying to get that up a little bit.

freediver105, have any good training tips for freediving? Also, is any of your work on display @ MUSC? I recall seeing some fish prints down there, but don’t recall who was credited for it.

If you are practicing in a pool, always have a buddy in the water watching you. Practice makes perfect! So practice breath holds, stretch, and actually free diving. Once you condition your body for it, it becomes much easier.

As for the artwork displayed at MUSC, I do not have any of my work on display there. I have donated several prints to auction events, so they may have ended up there.

Coastal Prints - Custom Fish Prints! You catch it, I print it. Visit www.coastal-prints.com to view other prints that I have done.

I mostly tend to just do laps right now and kicking exercises. I’ve been practicing doing 200s and such breathing only every 5 or 7 strokes. I typically only do a few dynamic apneas when I go to the pool for precisely the reason you implied, safety. I also typically don’t push myself to the max when doing those. I unfortunately don’t have access to a deep pool right now, unless I pay a membership for one down the street… which i may or may not do in the future.

how long (in terms of time underwater, and in terms of distance) can you swim back and forth laps in a pool?

I’ll try to take a peek at what’s on the wall at musc next time I’m on the 5th floor. If I remember correctly, they have a redfish on the wall, and maybe a couple others.