Dive Charleston Near Shore?

Does anyone dive this? Is there any vis?

If at first you don’t succeed, drink another beer!!!

Sea Pro 190CC Yamaha F150

I have some friends that dive and they say the visibility is poor there, usually 5’ or less. It is much better and worth the ride to go to the Charleston 60 if you can get out there on a calm day in May.

Thanks man. I figured that but figured I would ask. Would have to be a good day to make it to the 60 in my boat. I’ve done it before but not to dive.

I have some friends that dive and they say the visibility is poor there, usually 5’ or less. It is much better and worth the ride to go to the Charleston 60 if you can get out there on a calm day in May.

I dove it once and the vis was horrible and wasn’t impressed. It is however a good place to gather lead and anchors if that is what you want. I haven’t bought fishing lead or anchors in 8 years. There are some other options just a little further out though, 4KI (Kiawah Reef)about 8 miles out of Stono Inlet, lots to dive on out there and the vis can be good as long as you play the tides right, weather has been calm and it hasn’t rained in a few days. Capers is another one that is pretty good, lots of structure and only 45 feet deep, decent vis. The Freddy Day is decent and then of course you have the Charleston 60 which is about 3 or so more miles past the Freddy Day. I too have a 19’ boat so I am limited to how far I can go and I have to really “pick” my days. The plus side is I don’t burn much gas going out there and I get almost an hour bottom time on a tank.

Thanks cdt…guess it’s just time I get a bigger boat :-). I have been to Y73, the tugboats, and the ledges but obviously not in my boat. It certainly clears up nice once you get further out.

I was thinking of getting a bigger boat but I like the fact mine is paid for and is still in excellent condition, not to mention it is very economical to run. Cheaper to jump on someone elses boat when I want to go out farther and they usually don’t mind you helping out with their gas bill. You can still get good vis in closer if conditions are right, I’ve had days at the CH 60 where you could see the bottom from the surface, very rare but does happen usually in the cooler time of the year. I’ve also had days at 4Ki where I could clearly see the boat on the surface while on the bottom at 45 feet. The thing I like about the shallower dives is the ridiculous amount of bottom time you get compared to diving in 100+ feet.

If you are interested in diving off shore, the best thing is to let other divers know you are interested in going. I always have a hard time finding divers. We generally go out of Beaufort and dive 100 ft. Get advanced open water and Nitrox cert and we always have room. We had 75ft of vis 10 days ago.

Lee
05 Key West 268cc
Twin Suzuki 225

Thanks Coctails, I have my advanced and nitrox!!!

Great Hope you will be able to go with us sometime.

Lee
05 Key West 268cc
Twin Suzuki 225

Experienced diver here. Let me know if anyone is looking for a diver this weekend or another time. If curious abt my diver experiecne feel free to contact me. 401 228 4946 Jarett