Dive responsibly

I don’t want to go into too much detail, because I’m sure that legal stuff is in the mix at this point.

A couple of my friends asked me to join them on a dive trip to the springs in Florida this past weekend. They were taking an instructor led course, and I was just tagging along for the fellowship.

During our second day of diving one of the certified divers had an issue with their equipment which quickly led to panic and grabbing another diver. The other divers equipment was damaged and he was forced to surface. The panicked diver drown.

Luckily there were several dive instructors on sight ready to help. The person was revived quickly and survived.

Please know your own gear, and make sure it’s all 100% before getting in the water!

I never imagined I would be so unprepared for an incident like that. I signed up for rescue diver training. I hope this never happens again.

Stop - Think - Get Control.

Our dive instructor repeated that over and over and over. And we never took a dive trip without getting our equipment serviced.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Sounds like a frightful incident, MuddyWater…I know you can’t talk to much of the accident, like you said…So many factors I am sure.
I unfortunately, have been present for a few incidents such as that over the years, and not many of them were favorable outcomes. It is even more troublesome when it is a shallow incident. NONE are acceptable, however I have seen some bad stuff offshore on deco dives, wreck diving etc. But even worse when it is a “routine” shallower dive…(Not to judge the specifics of what you experienced)

My .02 cents (for what it is worth), is the rescue diver is a good course, but never stop learning or being prepared. When it boils down to it, it is a basic intro to rescue, but a great basic for those who do “fun” diving, spearfishing, etc. A lot can be picked up from technical diving, public safety diving, etc. on mindset and how to prevent an incident. Although little can be done to mentally prepare yourself for that first stark reality of a diver lost, in cardiac arrest, or getting seriously bent. It is scary as heck.

I dunno…I always tell myself to have a plan A, plan B, etc…Although we never know how we will react - I try and go with (and in mere seconds) “Wow, this sucks - I need to rectify this, and find an immediate solution to return to the surface safely.” Throughout my career - and diving as well, I constantly am evaluating the situation, being aware of the other divers/dangers/potential problems. I will get off my soapbox, hope the person recovers with no deficit. Not that I want to babysit the whole time I am on a dive boat, but I am always looking for other divers…watching them before they splash and after. Especially newbies. Will do what I can to help them. Just hate to see anyone have a bad experience, be turned off from diving, or worse. Stay safe out there and never stop learning.