Do Thermacells Work?

Do these work on knats/no-see-ums? I’ve heard they repel mosquitoes well but what about other insects? Any experiences with this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do a search for bugs, recent posting stated they work great except wind blows effect away, some said avon spray repellent isa more effective…

“The big one’s still swimming, let’s go.”

work on any flying insect wasp bees gnats skeeters. but ur out of luck if its windy

19’ Key West CC 140 Johnson
16’ War Eagle 40 Yami
12’ Alumacraft 1954 Johnson 5.5

“The charm of fishing is that, it is the pursuit of what is elusive, but attainable; a perpetual series of occasions for hope.”

Got it. I suppose if the wind is blowing the bugs won’t be as bad anyways.

I got one recently under the advise of a few people on here. It works when you’re sitting still and there’s no wind. Once a breeze comes through, it’ll blow away your cloud of protection. I use it when I’m sitting in the woods but that’s about it.

A Militia of One.

xHCFKx

Therma-cells are one of the best things a deer hunter in SC can own! A product that truely works wonders!

Put the thing upwind if the wind is blowing. I got one of the lanterns to use around camp down on the IRL next week. I’ve never camped on the spoil islands so I don’t know how bad the bugs will be. I do know it works back in the mangroves of the everglades.

“Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.”
“Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets.”
“Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.”
“Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite ay one end and no responsibility at the other.”
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their live.”
The Gipper

I suspect it works pretty good based on this experience:

Last year while working claims in close to Port Arthur TX, I got out of my vehicle and was swarmed with mosquitoes. They covered my pants legs like begger lice.

I fired up my Thermocell and as I walked around, the mosquitoes left me alone. It was like someone turned off the mosquito switch.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 13 year old
1 - 9 year old
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC / Talk Carolina/Clemson sports @ Palmetto State Rivals www.palmettostaterivals.com

Avon SOS works really well. Once you’ve been around the lowcountry long enough they won’t bother you anymore. You can also use dryer sheets. Like the others said the ThermaCell’s are good if your sitting still and no wind.

www.zmanfishing.com
www.drslick.com

quote:
Originally posted by dmatheny21

Therma-cells are one of the best things a deer hunter in SC can own! A product that truely works wonders!

Would NEVER DEER hunt again without one

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI

Yes they work very well.

You should only need it when the wind is dead, if it’s howling then the gnats won’t be a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by tprice
quote:
Originally posted by dmatheny21

Would NEVER DEER hunt again without one

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI

Yea, what he said!!!

I will not get into a battle of wits with a man who is completely unarmed!

like i said they work if there is no wind, if there is a 5 knot wind its done. never used one fishing. used um plenty deer huntin and duck huntin on those warm mornings.

19’ Key West CC 140 Johnson
16’ War Eagle 40 Yami
12’ Alumacraft 1954 Johnson 5.5

“The charm of fishing is that, it is the pursuit of what is elusive, but attainable; a perpetual series of occasions for hope.”

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes… And voila! That worked as well… It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children’s swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don’t leave home without it…Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND’S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors.

It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it

cost me $1.89. It really doesn’t take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not

as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn’t last 30 minutes.

So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don’t spray directly on a wood

door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window

frames, and even inside the dog house.

Now these are Good Mosquitoes!!!

“You are the offspring of 5 monkeys having But Secs with a retarded fish squirrel………. CONGRADULATIONS”!!!

[img]

but i have heard of the thermacells working but as noted above the wind needs to be still.

deet is where it is.
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

and about listerine
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp

jan

they are ausome but if theres a light breeze just use a dryer sheet if you have them both your all set for a day of fishing…

For those of you deer hunters…that old wary buck can smell a thermacell.A wise man does not need advice,a ■■■■ fool will not listen.

quote:
Originally posted by jan

and about listerine
http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp

Re read it doesnt say it dont work It says it dont knock them dead. I never said that it would but I have used this over the last two days and it works for the short time I was outside near the marsh. No one bite not the fella that didnt have anything on got ate alive.

“You are the offspring of 5 monkeys having But Secs with a retarded fish squirrel………. CONGRADULATIONS”!!!

[img]

I do not know how I deer and turkey hunted without it…

Polly Wanna…

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

For those of you deer hunters…that old wary buck can smell a thermacell.A wise man does not need advice,a ■■■■ fool will not listen.

shot my biggest buck ever from 50 yards with a thermacell sittin in my lap with a 10 knot wind blowin right toward him only 15 feet up in a tripod… not sure im buyin that one… not sayin they cant smell it at all but it didnt seem to bother that one…