Dolphin

Just saying. Italian Dressing is overrated. Seems like it is used when someone has no other ideas. It is used for everything. Fish, pork, deer loin, etc…

“Good things come to those who bait”

Soy sauce and sesame seed oil are a good base for an Asian style marinade. You can mix it up with honey, onions, brown sugar, oregano, etc…

Semper Fi
18’ Sterling
115 Yamaha
Big Ugly Homemade Blue Push Pole

quote:
Originally posted by phinfreak09

Just saying. Italian Dressing is overrated. Seems like it is used when someone has no other ideas. It is used for everything. Fish, pork, deer loin, etc…

Come on Phin, that would be like saying butter, lemon, salt, and pepper are over rated too with that logic. :smiley:

I’m going to try that fish and grits thing lowcountry boy suggested. That sounds different and good.

< Evil is simply the absence of God >

The grits do sound good. The soy sauce and sesame seed oil sounds good as well.

Phinfreak,

Melt some butter, apply a light coating to the fillet on all sides. Sprinkle on blackening seasoning, old bay, mccormkicks, whatever, salt pepper if you like. Heat the pan as stated outdoors over a propane burner HOT HOT (but I don’t put the burner on high). I use an 8" pan and only blacken 1 - 2 smallish pieces at a time. If you pan is the right heat it will smoke like crazy. Have the spatula ready and slide it under the fillet every 10 - 20 seconds to make sure it does not stick. Depending on thickness I leave it 1 - 2 minutes on each side. YFT probably only 30 seconds per side. Mix up some soy and wasabi on the side, plate a bed of rice and you are all set.

It ain’t no mystery…this beer’s history!

Chef Pauls Blackened Redfish Magic lil olive oil pan or grill!

“Wow! Your daughter is just as good as your wife!!”
“Lets pull the Venezuelan Bubbler!”

“Queen Anne’s Revenge”
129’ 36 Guns 113 souls

Count me in on the Eye-talian dressing and charcoal grill crowd.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

my favorite way to fry dolphin is 1/2 frenches mustard, 1/2 franks hot sauce. mix and marinate for hour. pull out of marinade, dredge in dry breader, fry.

Drizzle a little lime juice, coat with olive oil, season with Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning. Grill being careful not to over cook. Delicious! You can find Cavender’s in any grocery store.

http://www.greekseasoning.com/

Carolina Skiff Doug
1980DLX Carolina Skiff
208 GW

Lay fish on a soaked oak plank, cover w/ a couple strips of bacon, and put plank over medium grill w/lid closed until the bacon starts to curl and crisp just slightly (it won’t ever get super crispy unless you way overcook the fish). Edges of plank smolder and give it a nice smoky flavor, bacon keeps the fish moist. Don’t really even need any other seasoning, but pretty much anything works if you want to give it a little extra kick.

oak grilling planks can be hard to find, got mine online.

Angler 204 FX
Yamaha 150

Italian dressing may not be very original, but that is probably because it is pretty (**() good when cooked on the grill.

quote:
Originally posted by JMH

my favorite way to fry dolphin is 1/2 frenches mustard, 1/2 franks hot sauce. mix and marinate for hour. pull out of marinade, dredge in dry breader, fry.

This works well on cubed venison steak also. cut into bite size pieces, soak, dredge, fry. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

quote:
Originally posted by Bolbie

…the harbor was slick as an eel pecker.

i make my own blackening rub that works great with nearly anything (chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic salt, black and white pepper, cayenne pepper, sage, oregano, basil, thyme) that otta work for ya. i also recently found out that its great raw and rolled into sushi.

chop vidalia onion, crush garlic, Juice of 2 lemons, 1 cup mayo, Marinade overnight, grill hot and fast, Serve on bun with slab of tomato and lettuce cold beer on the side. mmmmmmmmmm

chop vialia onion, crush garlic, juice 2 lemons, 1 cup mayo, marinade couple hours, grill hot and fast, Serve on bun with slab of tomato and lettuce, cold beer on side. mmmmmmmmm

ONN i always heard to NEVER eat raw dolphin. Anyone else heard this?

I’ve ate them raw many times. Ain’t dead yet. I don’t know.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by phinfreak09

ONN i always heard to NEVER eat raw dolphin. Anyone else heard this?

Were the problem comes in is letting the outside skin, slim, scales, come in contact with the fresh meat. All in preparation.

So it’s probably not a good idea to eat some that has been cleaned on a table that a whole mess of them has been cleaned and fileted on

I’ve seen it done usually with alcohol involved and never seen anyone get sick. That’s not for me.

Mine have still been quivering and put in a bag with some lemon juice, lime juice, cilantro(sp?) and salt for 20 min or so. Also straight from the fillet knife to my mouth with a sprinkling of soy sauce.