Don’t Let Rover Keel Over

This week’s article comes to us through SeaTow. I have always owned water dogs and thoroughly enjoy taking them on the boat. Here are a few points that I think should be reiterated or mentioned:

See notes on water bowl and water below. Temperatures in the lowcountry soar to the upper 90’s in the summer and there is little shade refuge in a boat or on a beach for a dog. I don’t know how many times I have been on the beach or on the water and had pour water for other folks dogs out of my cooler because the owner failed to bring water and ice.

Always bring a leash and respect others. Many of our barrier island beaches get packed with families just wanting to hang out in the summer time. In my opinion with the crowds these are not ideal locations to bring a dog. I typically take my dog to these destinations in the winter or at least in the early evening during the week to run. If you must bring your pet make sure they are on a leash when others are around. Dogs running wild, throwing sand on everyone, knocking down children, and hanging out over my charcoal grill are not welcome in my book.

Know where your pets are swimming and running. Many of our beaches have sharp oyster shells at the water’s edge or in close proximity. Dogs can quickly lacerate paws leading to a quick room to the pet ER. Even minor cuts can get infected easily and should be monitored closely.

Find below the rest from SeaTow

Dog Days of Summer
Wednesday, June 18, 2014

For many boaters, a day on the water just isn’t the same without the family dog - especially if he or she is a water-loving breed! During these late summer days, your canines may feel the heat more than you and the rest of your crew. Here are some tips to keeping your dog comfortable and safe on board:

1. Bring plenty of water and a bowl to put it in. Boaters usually remember to pack fresh water for a day of boating, but most dogs don’t drink from a bottle. Bring Rover his own bowl, and don’t forget to refill it frequently.

2. Your dog should