DORIAN

Big Word Wednesday was two days ago, LOL. Seriously, I try to have a decent vocabulary but I’ve never seen that word. After looking it up in the dictionary, I’m surprised that no one has called me that before.

quote:
Originally posted by dparker677

During one our last Hurricanes I lost 3 days OT pay from the job thanks to our hebetudinous Governor over a little bit of wind and sprinkling of rain.
When Mathew came by, they reversed I26 lanes on Wed. I worked the rest of the week, left out of Charleston Fri. after work, easy drive to Columbia, was working a different job then.
If you feel you really need to leave…leave and enjoy your Milk sandwiches with Water.

Of course it’s my opinion. Whose opinion were you expecting?

Unfortunately for Floridians, it looks like they will be our “hurricane reducer”. Things can change, but this mornings spagetti models show landfall in South Florida as a Cat 4, then mayhem all the way up the state. Bad for them, but maybe by the time Dorian gets to SC it will be a Cat 1 or less.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

all we need to do is figure out how to create and control a black hole.

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

That would be worse than “creating” an ex-wife. Both consume everything and never go away!

spec

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

Proline 201WA

Seems simple enough…people should start working on that.

In the meantime, can you explain the difference between “your” and “you’re” to everyone else?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:

Proline 201WA

Seems simple enough…people should start working on that.

In the meantime, can you explain the difference between “your” and “you’re” to everyone else?

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Your off topic in the off topic section.

Your a pot stirrer.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

quote:
Originally posted by spec

That would be worse than “creating” an ex-wife. Both consume everything and never go away!

spec

Hints why i put CONTROL in the statement as well :smiley:

Proline 201WA

No man can control either one!

spec

At least that is what I have been told. I’m lucky to be still married to wifey #1.

spec

quote:

Proline 201WA

Once you go black, you never go back…

RBF

I shall summon fishboy,he will set everyone straight on Dorian just like he did with the last hurricane.The guy was dead nuts on.

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball
quote:
Originally posted by Mixed Nutz
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Some ignoramus suggested dropping a nuclear bomb inside the eye…

If that scenario would eliminate the destruction, would you go for it?

Hell no, unless you want radioactive fallout raining on you in Lint-ville.

Silly lint head.

And, there’s also the slight problem that—in the words of Robert Nelson, a physicist who studies nuclear weapons—“It’s just wacky.”

For starters, as NOAA observes, there’s the issue of radioactive fallout, which would “fairly quickly move with the trade winds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems.”

Also, it wouldn’t work. The key obstacle is the amount of energy required. The heat release from a hurricane is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes, NOAA calculates. In order to shrink a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane, you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square yard inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for an eye 25 miles in diameter. “It’s difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around,” NOAA says.

Today, international law prohibits us from even trying. The Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty, signed and ratified by the United States in 1990, limits the yield of weapons for non-military purposes to 150 kilotons—a formal acknowledgement that you can’t fight Mother Nat

Better news for Florida this morning. NHC track shows no landfall there, but a near miss as the Cat 4 storm stays just off the beaches.

The curve to the North looks like bad news for the SC coast. Dorian will still be a hurricane when he gets to us. Landfall on the SC coast is likely.

Hopefully, this storm will keep trending East and spare us a direct hit. Keep praying!

spec

I am not a happy man this morning.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Not looking good…

https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/digital-images/org/f941952c-de43-4f89-9feb-2959076385d2.jpg

It looks like Dorian will be down to a Cat 2 by the time he gets to SC. A Cat 2 is no joke, but much better than a “Hugo class” Cat 4. The other good news is that the angle of approach is not straight in. Bad news about that is Dorian could ride right up our coast, laying waste to all our coastal communities.

I love the late summer/fall weather on the SC coast - except for these danged hurricanes.

Yal’ll keep praying that the Man Upstairs will see fit to turn this thing out into the ocean, sparing everyone!

spec

quote:
Originally posted by poly ball a formal acknowledgement that you can’t fight Mother Nature, especially with nukes.

I agree with you on that one Polly, that’s why you need to quit worrying about Global Climate change. We are coming out of an Ice age and there is nothing you or I or anyone can do about it just like this Storm if it hits our coast. :smiley:

Bonz where is Jim?

Latest NHC track shows no SC landfall! God is great!

spec

quote:
Originally posted by spec

Latest NHC track shows no SC landfall! God is great!

spec

Amen.

As of the 1400 update, while the eye is not projected to make landfall in SC at this time, the coast will still see significant impact from the northern edge of the storm. Wind, rain and storm surge will most definitely still be an issue with this current track. Not out of the woods yet.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot