Dove Field / Club Opening

I know this is more than likely way too late in the game, but was really wanting to find a place I could take my 5 year old boy along with me in the field to get him introduced to the sport and experience it. He will be just watching, fetching some birds and practicing with his toy gun. I wanted to check and see if anyone had any leads on any dove club openings within an hour of Charleston. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sails Pitch
196 CC Sea Pro
150HP Yamaha
“Get Hooked On The Sails Pitch”
[img=left]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/TripleTail/Picture4.gif[/img=left]

Folks asking a month ago were too late, the good ones go quickly.

Last time I was at Botany Bay, DNR had a great looking field, try that.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/dove/youthdovefields.html

For public hunts, I have heard good things about Botany Bay. Another spot that I have heard has been loaded with birds for the past two seasons is Canal WMA Dove Field. It’s right outside of St. Stephen. They do a good job taking care of those fields. I hunt up the road from there in Pineville and our fields our LOADED with dove already. The dates for hunting Canal WMA this year are Sept 2 & 9, Oct. 14, and Nov 18.

Thanks fellas, I hunted botany bay before it was youth only. Unfortunately since he is only 5 he will not be shooting so won’t work for us there. I have hunted canal wma multiple times over the past 10 years, but it is just too crowded with too many people shooting low birds and crowding each other out. Tried getting a bead on a field/club back in Jan-May, but came up empty handed.

Sails Pitch
196 CC Sea Pro
150HP Yamaha
[img=left]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/TripleTail/Picture4.gif[/img=left]

^^^^^^^ WMA dove fields too crowded and people shooting low birds? Pffft. That has never happened!! HAHA.

please, I’m not trying to be a smart azz but if the Canal WMA is so awful why is it so crowded. I only live ten minutes away and had thoughts about going but have yet to read anything positive.

There are plenty of birds at the Canal WMA fields, however there are also plenty of people as well. Just make sure you are there early before they open the gate. Trucks will be lined up from the gate all the way back for a mile a or so back to the main rd. After the safety briefing, it is literally a shotgun start with people racing to get to the best spots of the field (back corner and along the powerline). I mean people are literally running and riding bikes racing each other. One year I made the mistake of going early and took part in that cluster. Had a great time watching people fall face first into the dirt when they tripped and even saw a few people wreck their bikes. I’m laughing as I am typing this, man that was funny to watch. Best bet is to wait until like 2pm-3pm and slide into a spot, by then a good number of people have burned through their shells and will leave. There will still be people waiting to get in as well. Keep an eye on those leaving and start sliding your way closer to the better spots as people leave.

Sails Pitch
196 CC Sea Pro
150HP Yamaha

In order to get a good spot in the field, just say that you are a Millennial (even if your aren’t one) and you feel that makes you entitled to the best spot in the field. That seems to be about par for most of them these days.

MDL5155, if you live that close to the field, give it a try. But like TT said, be prepared for chaos and don’t get frustrated. Just get in where you can fit in, and watch out for the idiots that are guaranteed to be out there. There are typically plenty of birds to be killed out there, it’s just a matter of if you want to deal with the headache. Maybe get to know some of the farmers out there and see if you can hunt their fields.

TripleTail, PM inbound.

quote:
Originally posted by mdl5155

please, I’m not trying to be a smart azz but if the Canal WMA is so awful why is it so crowded. I only live ten minutes away and had thoughts about going but have yet to read anything positive.

So you’re not trying to be a smart@ss but had to qualify your response with a “but” and you’ve never been there but felt the need to defend it because of TT calling it “awful” even though he didn’t call it awful (he called it crowded) but then you say you’ve never heard anything positive about it?

God bless the “ignore” function.

I was asking a respectful question and have no intention of causing trouble or getting caught up in a back and forth arguement. I based my post on multiple posts about that field, not one person or post in particular. It just seems odd that there are so many negative comments but based on the crowds there must be a lot of folks who like it.

Like I said, just give it a try one time. If you don’t like it, at least you won’t have a far drive to the house. And you will at least have a few birds to take home. I know a few people that hunt there and the only thing they don’t complain about are the amount of birds.

thanks seasick11. what’s a millennial in DNR terms and how does that relate to the dove fields? I’m only 66, permanent handicapped card because of difficulty walking from two broken femurs and kneecaps resulting in seven surgeries

Being a millenial will do nothing with DNR. It was just a joke since it seems the “kids” these days believe that they are entitled to everything for free (phones, money, college) without making any contribution to society. So I was just saying act like them and say you want the best spot in the field because you’re entitled to it. Again, just a joke. Perfect example in the link below…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGBkzvdU8vY

got it, entitlement is rampant nowadays

Just curious why a person who sates in other post owns no firearms is commenting on a hunting forum about dove (no archery season) why would this topic even entice you to read except to troll around on the interweb and attempt to stroke your own ego.

So you’re not trying to be a smart@ss but had to qualify your response with a “but” and you’ve never been there but felt the need to defend it because of TT calling it “awful” even though he didn’t call it awful (he called it crowded) but then you say you’ve never heard anything positive about it?

[/quote]

Hi, I’m earth. Have we met?

Not sure if you and Earth have met but pretty sure you are use to a close up view of your PROSTATE how you act on this site.

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

quote:
Originally posted by Tigershrk21

Not sure if you and Earth have met but pretty sure you are use to a close up view of your PROSTATE how you act on this site.

quote:

HAHAHA!! The way I act, ok, got it. Didn’t realize you were anyone’s keeper or the “conduct police.” You must be an incredibly busy person on this site.

Not that you deserve an explanation but for your information, I do hunt and yes, I even own firearms. Ya see, the post your so eloquently (with such grammatical perfection) referred to, that’s called sarcasm. It’s a thing, look it up.

With regards to this thread, mdl5155 (apparently you’re his keeper) made a comment where he puts words in someone’s mouth when they gave they’re assessment of something and then he questioned said assessment even though he hasn’t been to the place in question. Also, anytime someone starts a comment off with “I’m not trying to … BUT, …” You’re absolutely trying to be the “…” you say you’re not trying to be. So my comment/question was completely relevant.

Feel free to take your high school anatomy class rhetoric back to the conduct police HQ because it’s not impressing anyone and quite honestly, it’s making you more closely resemble the very comments you mentioned about my conduct. Surely you’re of a higher moral standard than that.

I just think your a “keyboard” tough guy that tries to make others feel less of themselves while you build yourself as a false god for your own ego. Face it your a Douche. It’s ok to be a Douche as long as you know who you are. We can all act that way at times in life it takes knowledge to learn from and stop. But I digress to school days again and I will slap you in your face with my bangstick if you prefer childish speak. C you next Tuesday.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tigershrk21

quote:

HAHAHA!! The way I act, ok, got it. Didn’t realize you were anyone’s keeper or the “conduct police.” You must be an incredibly busy person on this site.

Not that you deserve an explanation but for your information, I do hunt and yes, I even own firearms. Ya see, the post your so eloquently (with such grammatical perfection) referred to, that’s called sarcasm. It’s a thing, look it up.

With regards to this thread, mdl5155 (apparently you’re his keeper) made a comment where he puts words in someone’s mouth when they gave they’re assessment of something and then he questioned said assessment even though he hasn’t been to the place in question. Also, anytime someone starts a comment off with "I’m not trying to … BUT, …

Give it up Tiger.Mr. Bang is a bad hombre,take it from one who knows. Skinneej is the only one that can go up against him.