Drunk Swimming to Drum Island

This dude is extremely lucky to be alive!

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20131104/PC16/131109738/1177/charleston-police-man-found-disoriented-on-drum-island-swam-there-after-getting-drunk

Charleston police: Man found disoriented on Drum Island swam there after getting drunk

A man found stumbling and disoriented on Drum Island on Sunday had gotten drunk and swam across the harbor from Mount Pleasant, Charleston police said.

Stephen Coffee, 35, of Moore Drive in Charleston, told police he began drinking heavily after working at Art?s Bar and Grill on Coleman Boulevard in Mount Pleasant, according to an incident report.

Coffee told officers that the next thing he remembered was swimming ?for a really long time? in water, police said. Once he reached Drum Island, he tried for hours to ?call out for a blanket or coat because he was freezing,? a police report stated.

Coffee was unable to remember how he got into the water from the bar because he was extremely intoxicated, a police report stated.

Authorities first received the call about 8:10 a.m. that a man was stumbling around on Drum Island, a tiny slice of land beneath the Ravenel Bridge on the Columbus Street side of the Cooper River, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. Runners on the bridge were the first to spot him.

The Coast Guard and the North Charleston Fire Boat responded, and Mount Pleasant firefighters rappelled from the bridge to reach Coffee, police said. Officers noted that Coffee went back and forth between floating in the shallow water and lying on the shore in a fetal position, an incident report said.

Emergency workers spoke with Coffee, who was conscious but disoriented, and he denied jumping from the bridge, according to the Coast Guard. He later explained details of his swim to police, the police report stated.

He was taken by boat to the Sea Breeze Marina where Charleston County EMS waited to take him to the Medical University Hospital for evaluation. The incident was over about 9 a.m.

Coffee did not appear

…rappelled from the bridge? Really?

quote:
Originally posted by capntang

You should know that Charleston Police, SCDNR, nor the Coast Guard has boats capable of getting to Drum…reelly.

Seriously though, if Bonzo had just called me from Drum Island, I would have come and picked him up.

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish
quote:
Originally posted by capntang

You should know that Charleston Police, SCDNR, nor the Coast Guard has boats capable of getting to Drum…reelly.

Seriously though, if Bonzo had just called me from Drum Island, I would have come and picked him up.

www.baturinphotography.com

Ha ha! Good one 23?. Tang? my thoughts exactly

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
Personal Trout Slot Limit: 16"-20" Creel: 2

Come on guys, how often do you think those guys actually get to repel for anything job related? I am sure they saw it as an opportunity to have fun on the job and say, “hey, I have repelled from the AR bridge”.

I thought Peapod was watching Bonzo more closely than this. How did this happen?

As they say, God looks out for drunks and stupid people.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

if Bonzo had just called me from Drum Island, I would have come and picked him up.

phone died as soon as I hit the water…come on, you can do better than that…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

That guy got really lucky that it just happened to be an incoming tide after his drinking was done. If not Mary Lee would have had a nice snack this morning.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

What are they doing on drum island anyway? I saw where they had dozens of dirt mounds pushed up like giant ant hills. What is that all about? I say we just plant it with corn, flood it, and close off all traffic on the bridge during legal shooting time to 10am during duck season…

Must have sucked once he got to Drum Island and found there wasn’t a bar over there…[:0]

Key West 19’6" CC 115hp Merc
14’ Fast Craft w/ 60hp Merc

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

As they say, God looks out for drunks and stupid people.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

drunks and fools…don’t be mixing me up with stupid people please…

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

What are they doing on drum island anyway? I saw where they had dozens of dirt mounds pushed up like giant ant hills. What is that all about?

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

prepping for the harbor deepening…also cleared out the North end spoil area on Morris Island as well…

I stand corrected Sir.

“Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:

What are they doing on drum island anyway? I saw where they had dozens of dirt mounds pushed up like giant ant hills. What is that all about? I say we just plant it with corn, flood it, and close off all traffic on the bridge during legal shooting time to 10am during duck season…

If you use Google to view the satellite view of Drum Island and several other surrounding islands, including Morris, you’ll see that they are all USACE dredge spoil areas. We hear about the big deepening projects, but the dredging goes on nearly non-stop.

The stuff they pump up onto the spoil areas is very watery. Much of the sediment sinks quickly and they open the gates and let the water run off. However, the ‘goop’ that remains takes a long time to give up its moisture. So, they trench the large flat mud areas to get more water to drain out. Eventually, with enough trenching and time, the spoil settles out to be pretty dry soil. In the process, the volumen is dramatically reduced. Where the berms around the spoil areas were nearly full, after draining, drying, trenching, draining, drying trenching, pumping, etc., there is very little soil left and that spoil area can be the next target to get refilled. In the meantime, they’re pumping onto an adjacent spoil area, somewhere. When that one gets ‘full’, they shift to a drained/dried spoil area.

If you look on Google maps or Earth, you can see the trenching patterns pretty easily and the big back hoes in there doing the work. The spoil areas have berms all the way around and outfalls in a few strategic places. Check out the spoil areas under where the Mark Clark goes over the Cooper. They are in variousl states of wet/full, trenched and draining.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

im with skinnee lets plant that thing and hunt ducks!! ive seen plenty of teal buzzing the area not to mention the doves

19’ Key West CC 140 Johnson
16’ War Eagle 40 Yami
12’ Alumacraft 1954 Johnson 5.5

can you swim 5 miles? “NO” then what is the difference in 5 miles and 50 miles!!! Go for it!

This is the Best by Far!!! My stomach hurts from laughing!!!

quote:
Originally posted by pitviper0404

Must have sucked once he got to Drum Island and found there wasn’t a bar over there…[:0]

Key West 19’6" CC 115hp Merc
14’ Fast Craft w/ 60hp Merc

Dorado II
Carolina Skiff 25DLV

quote:
Originally posted by PalmerScott
quote:

If you use Google to view the satellite view of Drum Island and several other surrounding islands, including Morris, you’ll see that they are all USACE dredge spoil areas. We hear about the big deepening projects, but the dredging goes on nearly non-stop.

The stuff they pump up onto the spoil areas is very watery. Much of the sediment sinks quickly and they open the gates and let the water run off. However, the ‘goop’ that remains takes a long time to give up its moisture. So, they trench the large flat mud areas to get more water to drain out. Eventually, with enough trenching and time, the spoil settles out to be pretty dry soil. In the process, the volumen is dramatically reduced. Where the berms around the spoil areas were nearly full, after draining, drying, trenching, draining, drying trenching, pumping, etc., there is very little soil left and that spoil area can be the next target to get refilled. In the meantime, they’re pumping onto an adjacent spoil area, somewhere. When that one gets ‘full’, they shift to a drained/dried spoil area.

If you look on Google maps or Earth, you can see the trenching patterns pretty easily and the big back hoes in there doing the work. The spoil areas have berms all the way around and outfalls in a few strategic places. Check out the spoil areas under where the Mark Cl

If you can get to a spoil area that has dried out a little you can find some huge old shark teeth that were dredged up.

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

If you can get to a spoil area that has dried out a little you can find some huge old shark teeth that were dredged up.

yep…but you will find as much info on that as you will people coming off how to deep hole shrimp…

Used to be a spoil site off of Long Point Rd. I was taking a Paleontology class at COC and the class went there. I got some HUGE teeth.

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Plus a lot of military brass shells. I’ve got a couple that still have the primer in them. Some had “powder” that was like like chicken laying pellets. it still burnt.