Edisto Vacation/Fishing Report

Arrived on the Island with boats in tow on Saturday, 5/13. We stayed at Scott Creek and had an absolute blast.

Weather was rainy on Saturday, but once it broke we headed to the marina and wet the boats, and tied them our dock. Sunday was Mother’s Day, so after a big breakfast we took off to the beach. The women wanted to go to our normal Sunday beach spot at Privateer in the N. Edisto, so we decided to load up and make the run. Took me and the wife and kid about 50 minutes to run from Big Bay Creek to Privateer creek in a good ICW and N. Edisto minimal chop. The ride home turned into a nasty one, so I dumped the wife and kid off in the big boat and took off on my own, had to run 30+ the whole way behind a big Yellowfin to keep dry, but I made it back in a big chop with no damage to me or the boat.

On Monday my bro-in-law and my Dad and I headed out to some live bottom numbers in 100’ of water. We limited out on Bliners very quickly, caught a couple of triggers, and some white-bone porgies, and had to leave once we couldn’t keep from catching those elusive red snapper. My dad caught his first one, and second, and third, and decided he was done. We ran back into the Edisto offshore and tried for some spades but couldn’t get them to bite. Ride back was terrible in a big wind chop, but we made it unscathed.

Tuesday the women wanted to go sit on the beach, so the old man and bro-in-law and I loaded up the Bentz-Craft and headed out in search of trout. Caught a dozen or so and kept 4 for dinner, all caught on mud minnows under a popping cork in Scott Creek, didn’t have to venture far. Boat fished well and livewell worked amazingly well.

Mom caught us coming back and snapped a pic…can’t tell what deep conversation they’re having but I’m sure it was a good one.

[img]http://www.charleston

Awesome report - you did Edisto right!
Thanks

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Great report…and great family time!!

Question for you…my wife and I wanted to go to Botany Bay a couple of weeks back. She called their office and was told that the area was still closed from the damage caused by the hurricane. Did you have any problems accessing the area?

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

Great report…and great family time!!

Question for you…my wife and I wanted to go to Botany Bay a couple of weeks back. She called their office and was told that the area was still closed from the damage caused by the hurricane. Did you have any problems accessing the area?

The path/causeway to the beach area is closed because the bridge washed out in the storm. It still remains closed.

I heard from someone local that they’re not in a rush to fix it because of the trash problems they’ve been having on the beach…but that could be false.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Glad ya’ll had a great time, loved the photos and the storys! Can’t help but to love Edisto. Great fishing and playing at Otter, watch out for the sharks tho!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Glad ya’ll had a great time, loved the photos and the storys! Can’t help but to love Edisto. Great fishing and playing at Otter, watch out for the sharks tho!

We didn’t spend much time in the water other than wading to and from the boats…but it does look very sharky! There were a few boats making a drift from the range marker there in the sound, down front of Otter beach, and into the river/ICW there. Never saw anyone hook up.

Wadmalaw native

Yes the St Helena sound, like Bulls Bay, is a wild place. There are all kinds of crazy things swimming around there. Big tigers, and of course Mary Lee was in there too. Keep the kiddos out of the water at Otter.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Great report. Sounds like you got the most of your week. Pretty sure I saw you go by one time. Recognize the boat. Glad the fish and weather cooperated for the most part. Stop by and say hello if you see me down there again. I have had several CF guys come by over the years and enjoyed meeting them.

I had the same thing happen to me with a sturgeon a few years ago. Jumped right in front of us running fast on the 18 ft CC in the Ashepoo just on the other side of ■■■■■■■ Cut. There was a guy sitting at the bow. If the fish had jumped a few seconds later would have killed the guy and destroyed the helm.

My wife is a volunteer at Botany Bay. The issue with the beach access bridge is funding. Matthew did a lot of damage and the levees had to take priority but I understand they intend to have the bridge fixed by the end of the year. She is a Wadmalaw native as well. Used to be a Leland. Her siblings still live on Maybank but are older than you. Thanks for the report.

quote:
Originally posted by Fortunate Son

Great report. Sounds like you got the most of your week. Pretty sure I saw you go by one time. Recognize the boat. Glad the fish and weather cooperated for the most part. Stop by and say hello if you see me down there again. I have had several CF guys come by over the years and enjoyed meeting them.

I had the same thing happen to me with a sturgeon a few years ago. Jumped right in front of us running fast on the 18 ft CC in the Ashepoo just on the other side of ■■■■■■■ Cut. There was a guy sitting at the bow. If the fish had jumped a few seconds later would have killed the guy and destroyed the helm.

My wife is a volunteer at Botany Bay. The issue with the beach access bridge is funding. Matthew did a lot of damage and the levees had to take priority but I understand they intend to have the bridge fixed by the end of the year. She is a Wadmalaw native as well. Used to be a Leland. Her siblings still live on Maybank but are older than you. Thanks for the report.

Now that we’re all grown and have kids, I think we’re going to try and make the trip every year…some may say traveling to Edisto from Wadmalaw for vacation is silly, but we had a blast. We’ve always loved Edisto and all it has to offer, and that won’t change I hope!

Next time if I see you on the dock, I will absolutely stop.

Tight Lines!

Wadmalaw native

Seems like in the last 8 or 10 years that the sturgeon really have been active in May and June. Huge fish. It is unnerving to be cruising along and one jump right beside you. Glad you have a good week.

I was up the river near Jacksonborro last sept. and bet I saw over 100 jump