Elevator in flood zone

House is a drive under that is +5 feet above Base Flood Elevation level. Annual flood insurance is $3300 without an elevator and $5800 with an elevator. That’s insane! Are there any design/construction considerations that could install the elevator in such a way that it’s not considered an “enclosure”? It makes ZERO sense to me that an elevator requires this amount of insurance when you would just park it at the top floor during a flood. Any way to legally reduce these costs???

most of the rentals on Folly have an elevator that goes to the ground…maybe a homeowner out there could shed some light…that is crazy 'spensive…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

List it as a Dumbwaiter! No pun intended:imp:

Chain or hydraulic?

Chain could probably have all the mechanical features installed on the top floor so you could avoid all damage but a negligible amount of rust on guide rails. This is assuming it doesn’t have a pit/sump below it.

Hydraulic I believe is only a floor mounted system so a flood could ruin the whole thing, especially if they are designed to go to the base floor if they have any sort of failure.

The cost of the unit shouldn’t validate that hike unless its made of gold. Maybe the insurance company sees it as a threat to life safety in a flood so jacks up the bill to account for deaths?

First, Most, Biggest

Not so much worried about the damage, but the law that requires you to pay it. I wouldn’t insure the elevator if I wasn’t forced to. But it’s an expense that is hard to justify for an extra $200+ per month!

You rich people and your fancy problems.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
You rich people and your fancy problems.

Exactly what I was thinking, Doug :smiley: If you can afford an elevator in your house, well… we use the stairs.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Never said it was for me! But if it was for me, it would be for an elderly mother with bad knees who has trouble climbing stairs while babysitting. I would still take the stairs.

And, in the grand scheme of things, elevators aren’t really that expensive if they are a part of the original floor plan. It’s the insurance that creates the issue.

Some people need an elevator and they are not necessarily rich.

Have you considered a chairlift? Some indoor and outdoor models are reasonable and can be purchased online.
Saw a used one in the post and courier recently for $1200.
I’ve helped a couple of elderly folks measure, order, and install them.
I see no reason to report that information to your insurance company.

Just having a little fun with Skinnee. Heck, if I ever went upstairs at my house, I might want one.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Figured you were kidding or using some sarcasm, but then Larry jumped in
so I thought I might mention it before someone gets offended.

quote:
Originally posted by misslily

Some people need an elevator and they are not necessarily rich.

Have you considered a chairlift? Some indoor and outdoor models are reasonable and can be purchased online.
Saw a used one in the post and courier recently for $1200.
I’ve helped a couple of elderly folks measure, order, and install them.
I see no reason to report that information to your insurance company.

Floor plans designed around an elevator... Which really sucks because walls had to be moved, and rooms changed to accommodate it. So, I would rather figure out how to make it work.

Also, for resale potential an elevator is more attractive. At least until you see the flood insurance quote!!!

Kind of like buying a Yacht! If you have to ask! As for the baby sitting, take them to her house. Get Obama Care, to give her some new knees:imp: LOL

The extra cost is if said elevator gets damaged in said flood, it will cost a small fortune to replace it. And most likely if it does flood, it will be damaged, hence the extra cost.

I uses to have to work on the stupid things, and they ain’t cheap to fix, just because of all the safeties that have to be built in to them and the fact that they have to be inspected often.

I wouldn’t have one in my house unless someone in my house was disabled. In that case I would move to a one story ground level house.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin

The extra cost is if said elevator gets damaged in said flood, it will cost a small fortune to replace it. And most likely if it does flood, it will be damaged, hence the extra cost.

I uses to have to work on the stupid things, and they ain’t cheap to fix, just because of all the safeties that have to be built in to them and the fact that they have to be inspected often.

I wouldn’t have one in my house unless someone in my house was disabled. In that case I would move to a one story ground level house.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Brand new elevator installed is $20K. Also, if there was a flood situation, you just park it on the top floor.

FEMA says that a flood will happen once every hundred years in this zone… So, if there is one flood in 100 years, then $2500 per year for 100 years is $250,000 of insurance for a $20K elevator.

I have personal knowledge of a house that was designed and built in a food zone with an elevator. It is hydraulic and all the equipment was mounted five feet above the floor (more than 14 feet above mean high tide)and it has a feature that automatically homes the car to the living level after two minutes. Those features made it palatable with the insurance folks.

ZX

First…why is your flood ins premium so high? We just finished construction on our elevated house.
12 ft flood zone house is @ 18 ft and flood ins premium is under $500.
Second we were told that no electrical systems could be below the flood level . Maybe stop
The elevator at flood level and have a short ramp lead up to it?

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

First…why is your flood ins premium so high? We just finished construction on our elevated house.
12 ft flood zone house is @ 18 ft and flood ins premium is under $500.
Second we were told that no electrical systems could be below the flood level . Maybe stop
The elevator at flood level and have a short ramp lead up to it?

You are probably in a less risky zone. This house is in a VE zone. Flood is 13' BFE and bottom floor is at 18.5'. Slab is at 9.5', So house is sitting up 9' off of the ground which is a +5 over flood. So we should qualify for the "best rates"... The only "enclosure" is the elevator that comes all the way down... It's built like a beach house with louvered panels around the base, but not "enclosed"...

So, yeah, I don’t know why the premium is $3300, but I expect you are $500 because you are in a A zone or something.

Code requires the elevator to return to the ground level in case of emergency or a power failure. This lets a handicap person escape no matter what. You can lock it out on the top floor but it is not legal to do so. That is why the rates are what they are. Your only option if you want to do it is do it without reporting it to anyone and then it is not covered by insurance which is no problem as you stated. PM me if I can help any further.

Skinnee man , how about checking on an escalator , without power one could still get down .