Emergency plan, tropical weather

we have not had to dust off our emergency plans for quite some time…now might be a good time to do so…be diligent, be prepared…
https://www.wunderground.com/news/invest-99l-forecast-atlantic-aug2016

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Quit… you are scaring me!!

Actually really good advice… and keep some cash on hand.

The wife bought some neat Battery powered lights like Gas powered colemans. Lost power last Friday and they really came in useful… before I cranked up the generator.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Go west.

any truth to the rumor that there’s a bunker at casa de bonzo? can’t we all just come there?

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

any truth to the rumor that there’s a bunker at casa de bonzo? can’t we all just come there?

Ladyshrimpkilla was supposed to get you a pass…

seriously though, not to be alarmist, but I myself realized that my emergency food had expired, as Fred mentioned, gassing up and getting cash helps, shaking your generator out and firing it up, all the little things that you don’t want to be doing 24 hours before trying to hunker down or evacuate…y’all be safe…

STOP talking about storms. I am on the State Emergency Response Team, we do NOT talk about storms.

If one comes, I’m sending Connor to your house Bonzo.

Just got this update from the state climatologist:

Quick tropical update:

Fiona gone, poof, done.

TS Gaston becomes Hurricane “Moot Point” Gaston later today as the storm faithfully recurves into the central Atlantic dutifully in accordance with the Immutable Laws of Physics and a sentient nod to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

99L is approximately 1660 mile SE of Beaufort SC tracking WNW at 15 mph over the St Maarten, Barbuda, Anguilla et. al. .Convection is better organized this morning than yesterday despite the fact that 99L is pushing against a big slug of dry air. 99L remains challenged by aforementioned dry air and island topography of Puerto Rico and Hispaniola keeping intensity in check for at least 48 hours. Conditions become more favorable for 99L to rapidly intensify near the northern Bahamas and the coast of Florida. In our favor, a strong ridge of high pressure builds in over the US east coast that would “persuade” 99L or its named successor to remain a more westerly track into the GoMex, a la Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina, and if you recall that did not end well. Despite the lack of a well-defined center of circulation, the models have an eerily good near consensus on a westerly track in to the GoMex on Sunday. The Prudent Mariner should monitor the progress of this storm closely.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

STOP talking about storms. I am on the State Emergency Response Team, we do NOT talk about storms.

If one comes, I’m sending Connor to your house Bonzo.

while I understand the whole “don’t talk about it and it won’t happen” ala head in the sand idea, this prolly has as much effect as bringing a banana on a boat…people will ***** about it, but in reality it has zero effect on an outcome…

oh yea and Connor already knows where the beer fridge is…

How much cash should one have?

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

Shouldn’t be a problem for you Fritz, I hear that charter captains make plenty of money :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

How much cash should one have?

depends on how often you planning on eating sushi…provided they still have power…

As to being prepared, we live out in the woods a long way from anywhere, and the power goes out regularly. A week at a time sometimes. 911 is an hour away, if they even come when you call them… Plus I was a Boy Scout and being prepared is the motto. We’ve learned to not get prepared, we’ve learned to stay prepared for about anything possible at all times. Got plenty of drinking water and a well on a hand pump, got plenty of batteries and candles. We keep a 2 year food supply. Got a generator and plenty of gas for it. Got about everything we need to be self sufficient for a long time, including a lot of self sufficient neighbors who all work together if somebody needs help.

So if a storm comes I don’t have to do anything to get ready, other than put up or tie down anything loose in the yard. Otherwise we are prepared. Bring it on:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Since the Piggly Wiggly closed, I don’t know where to get my hurricane preparedness chart. What else do I need besides cash & sushi?

Also since Connor is down here, his bedroom is open.

quote:
What else do I need besides cash & sushi?

Soy sauce and wasabi. And some pickled ginger :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:

Since the Piggly Wiggly closed, I don’t know where to get my hurricane preparedness chart. What else do I need besides cash & sushi?

Depends and butt salve.

One of the most important, and often overlooked, items is a large gallon sized zip lock bag. Put your insurance policy in it and run like the wind!

ZX

Larry, why does you having been a Boy Scout, not surprise me:question: Stock up on beer, booze and ice! If you don’t have AC, at least you will be able to sleep at night, or whenever you want:wink::imp: Oh, get a can of Starting Fluid! Makes starting motors that haven’t been run in a while a snap! And another thing! Fill up your propane tanks, so you can BBQ the stuff in the freezer, before it goes bad!

quote:
Larry, why does you having been a Boy Scout, not surprise me

From 8 to 18, Cub Scout to Life Scout, didn’t quite make Eagle, but made Order of the Arrow. I was a Scoutmaster for several years too. Unfortunately the Scouts aren’t what they used to be. Not even close.

quote:
Stock up on beer, booze and ice!

Yes! And bullets, beans and bandages. We always keep 2 full propane tanks. And I still know how to build a fire. Many ways :smiley:

Propane and gasoline I look at as short term solutions. You can’t keep much more than a couple months worth of either. If the problem lasts longer than that, then you better learn how to build a fire:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:

Pepto-Bismol and Toilet paper… with out power the sushi might spoil.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Okay, so Connor can alternate between Bonzo and Peapod’s? Good to know.

Bonz, he isn’t 21 yet so let’s keep it to Shirley Temples.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?