Excellent day in the Surf

The spring bite was on fire Saturday. Grace and I headed out for a day surf fishing and we got our fill. Winds were blowing out of the West. Partly cloudy skies. We chunked fresh mullet and worked a good point that had allot of moving water out front. We fished the in coming tide for a few hours and did a couple on the out going tide. The pelicans were dive bombing eating bait off in the distance and were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and had a phenomenal day. They don’t come around to often, but when they do you really appreciate them. Reds were thick in the surf. Set a new personal best and bagged 18 mid sized reds. Most of them in the 25 inch range give or take a little. All released so they can make whoopee. I’m going to do my part and not keep any reds or trout this year because of the tough winter they had. The good Lord provided us with a beautiful sun set at the end of a wonderful day. Get out there and catch them up folks.

Friday not so much. One small shark kept me from pulling the goose egg:smiley:

I would question the report if it was somebody else, its that good of a report. 18 reds in the surf is solid. Well done and good job on releasing them. That bait pic with the hook is exactly how I hook my baits.

I figured you would like that bait pic:smiley: The hook up rate was very good. I lost only 1 fish on a rod pull down that just didn’t get hooked. Picked up the rod and it wasn’t on. I have had good spring bites before, but it was a special day and I understand some skepticism. Mr. Parker and I hit 15 late last season together. I8 fish for one guy is probably something I won’t likely see any time soon. The cool thing is they weren’t rat reds and were mostly in the 20’s with a large representation between 23-25 inches. I think the water mimmicks fall temps and if you catch it right it can be productive for reds in the same way in the spring. I have another buddy that pulled 50 reds in one day in the surf with 2 of his friends. They destroyed the black drum as well that day last fall. Thank you 40.

:dizzy_face:…i spent all weekend painting walls :clown_face:.

EXELLENT DAY!!! Maybe “WE” could have caught 36? :smiley:

[:0][:0][:0][:0]I WANNA GO:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:Great report pete:smiley::smiley::smiley:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Wow, doin work. Did you get your mullet on the way out?

Hi this is one of the first surf reports that I have seen. Being very new to the area (Myrtle Beach). I look at the equipment that you are using for surf fishing and I am dumbfounded. I came south from NJ and surf fishing for striped bass especially when bait and wait we used 10"6" 2-6 oz rods. If some one has the time to help explain it would be very appreciated. I have plenty of equipment from 7’ 1/4-1 to 10"6" heavy.
Thanks to all and I have gotten some info about pier fishing Mt pleasant pier.Jiggin Jimmie

Awesome report congrats. Makes me want to go ahead and start my season. I think ill ho ahead and start tuesday and if i catch a fish i will start. I havnt caught a fish sonce redfishing back in november anf ive prob been out 20 times.

Myrtleman ; continue to read these posts and you’ll be surprised at what you’ll learn . most posts are informative from knowledgable fishermen/women that will freely share MOST of their secrets , but you also have a few smart azzs so you’ll also need to grow a thick skin to survive them…The posts from runbabyrun , dparker , jarvis , 40inchreds to name a few are straight shooters and will not lead you astray…post up your results and include pics when you can…Welcome to CF Its a great bunch of folks !! WELL MOSTLY GREAT:smiley::smiley::smiley:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Charles got lucky on the bait. Went in Mt. Pleasant seafood to buy shrimp and they had a rare batch of fresh mullet that came in the day before. Allot of times I catch my own but not that day.

Myrtleman welcome to the sight. We use the same set ups for chunking for reds. 9-11 ft rods that throw a minimum of 6ou. Mostly 6-8 thousand size reels. 20-30lb test. Allot of cut bait shrimp catch most everything. You can cut up whiting or blues you catch and they make excellent bait.

Stevo that spot holds smaller fish. It is rare for me to catch 40’s:smiley: What it does have is good numbers some day’s. They also show at non traditional times of the year. I usually get a few during the summer. Your spot holds huge fish and allot more blues. Just different areas. You will be back to killing them this fall. You got good shark action as well that will tie you over. Take care.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome, as far as having thick skin I get it.

quote:
Originally posted by Myrtleman44

Hi this is one of the first surf reports that I have seen. Being very new to the area (Myrtle Beach). I look at the equipment that you are using for surf fishing and I am dumbfounded. I came south from NJ and surf fishing for striped bass especially when bait and wait we used 10"6" 2-6 oz rods. If some one has the time to help explain it would be very appreciated. I have plenty of equipment from 7’ 1/4-1 to 10"6" heavy.
Thanks to all and I have gotten some info about pier fishing Mt pleasant pier.Jiggin Jimmie

Jiggin Jimmie is the best and welcome to cf.
quote:
Originally posted by gail wins

Myrtleman ; continue to read these posts and you’ll be surprised at what you’ll learn . most posts are informative from knowledgable fishermen/women that will freely share MOST of their secrets , but you also have a few smart azzs so you’ll also need to grow a thick skin to survive them…The posts from runbabyrun , dparker , jarvis , 40inchreds to name a few are straight shooters and will not lead you astray…post up your results and include pics when you can…Welcome to CF Its a great bunch of folks !! WELL MOSTLY GREAT:smiley::smiley::smiley:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter

author unknown

Thanks for the info on the straight shooters GW.

Horry county has a lot of decent spots to shark fish. World record LBSF tiger was caught off the pier there in the 60’s.

quote:
Originally posted by LocalsOnly

Horry county has a lot of decent spots to shark fish…

I agree 100%, best Shark fishing on the east coast!!! Lots and lots of reeaally big sharks!!! All you Shark Guys should consentrate sharking efforts up that way. I here right in front of where the Pavilion used to be is a HOT spot! Set-up right between 9th and the Skywheel! Guaranteed 10 footer…no realy…check it out!

Might even get your name and photo in the paper, or on the 7 o’clock news! :clown_face:

That must be coastal shark tagging and requeims secret spot. I guess that’s why they were so tight lipped about it. Lol.

Here you go 40 this is the old post I think you were referring too. The date was March 10, 2018. You got a good memory:smiley: Notice all the chaffing on the red hook from the fish. It was front beach Dewees Island. Those were the good Ole days, haven’t been able to fish that Island much lately. The great thing about that beach is no people, and adult beverages are a go. At least I was told that by a resident from the island. I got lucky that day.

Once again this is an old post.