Fall Fishing

You can feel it in the air, and if you live near a high school you can hear it in the air on a Friday night as the high school band pipes up for the big game. Fall is coming and that is like music to the ears of an inshore angler. Gone is much of the boat traffic that at times can make fishing on the weekend next to impossible. The change of season brings with is come incredible fishing as the fish begin to realize that these huge schools of bait are not going to be around much longer so they better eat while the eating is good. Water temperatures become more moderate and fish are more likely to expend a little more energy chasing that top-water lure or gulp up that fly offering on the flat.

I am really amazed at how many people think that fishing is just a summer time activity and once the summer is over it is time to move on to something else. I understand that many times other outdoor interest like hunting take up some peoples fishing time, but for some people that did not grow up fishing year round like I did, they just never really thought about it. Now I am not saying that I want everyone to head out on the water right now to create another crowd, but I do hope that people that like to fish, realize just how nice fishing in the fall and early winter really can be.

Ive had several people ask me how I think the efforts of our voluntary catch and release have worked in helping the trout to recover. While I am trying to get some official word from the SCDNR about it (they are conducting their studies at this point), I think we will all find out here in coming months as the trout fishing in the fall for the past several year has been outstanding. I have already talked to several anglers that are starting to catch some good numbers of fish, but will also temper these good reports by telling everyone that lets not just assume they are in great shape until we get word from the guys that are conducting their studies.

With that being said, there is some great redfishing both in the flats and