Favorite Pocket Knife

So I’m in the market for another decent assisted opening pocket knife. I don’t need a 200$ Benchmade or anything fancy pants like that. I use my pocket knife in salt water for cutting bait and around the house for basically everything. Looking for an American made Kershaw or something similar with assisted opening and not a drop point. Although I’m open to changing brands too.

Just wondering what do you guys run and have had good luck with and/or suggest?

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Get a Spideco. Opens quickly with a ■■■■■ of your thumb and is outstanding steel . They hold an edge and feel great in your hand. My second choice would be a benchmade. I probably own over 1000 knives. Kershaw is a very good knife - but not my favorite . I don’t like spring assist opening . The spring will eventually break

I used to have an Emerson with the Wave feature. It is by far the easiest and quickest deploying pocket knife there is. Using one hand the blade is open before it leaves your pocket… But price has always been a deterrent.

Well, Kershaw answered with the 2014 Blade Show Best Buy award with their line of Emerson collaborated knives. You get the wave feature on an affordable knife. I own a few of them, and while the steel is not the absolute best, the price is good enough to chuck it and buy another when it wears down…and they make them in all sorts of blade shapes and sizes. The CQC line it’s called.

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/cqc-5k

And a video on the wave functioning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=75&v=UcxgTjT4fCY

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Spyderco. I’ve carried the same one for everyday carry for 20yrs and it never lets me down. I have a Benchmade Rescue that I carry on the boat, it’s OK but not in the same class as the Spyderco.

Mark
Southport 28TE
2X Yamaha F250
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

I used to have an Emerson with the Wave feature. It is by far the easiest and quickest deploying pocket knife there is. Using one hand the blade is open before it leaves your pocket… But price has always been a deterrent.

Well, Kershaw answered with the 2014 Blade Show Best Buy award with their line of Emerson collaborated knives. You get the wave feature on an affordable knife. I own a few of them, and while the steel is not the absolute best, the price is good enough to chuck it and buy another when it wears down…and they make them in all sorts of blade shapes and sizes. The CQC line it’s called.

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/cqc-5k

And a video on the wave functioning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=75&v=UcxgTjT4fCY

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Ole Buddy is correct, best knife for the money. The wave is amazing! Doesn’t hurt to bad when you break or loose it.

http://www.coldsteel.com/products/folding-knives/voyager-x-lg-tanto-plain-edge.html

This is my everyday carry and I also use this for work. A little pricey but I’ve had it over two years and it’s indestructible. Can’t go wrong with it, blade is super thick, sharp as all get out, and can take a beating.

There is no substitute for hard work-Thomas A Edison

Spyderco with H1 steel. Absolutely nothing beats it if you live with salt in your veins. Take it from someone who works on and under the water. Never leave surface without my spyderco.

1 Like

For fathers day this year my wife and daughter got me a benchmade griptillian that I love. I wanted to get one for my father but thought he wouldn’t want such a pricey knife. I ended up getting him the kershaw blur ken onion edition with SV30 steel. It’s the same steel as my knife but it ended up being around 70$ on amazon. He likes it alot.

Check out the Williams Expedition

I carry a Benchmade Phaeton but only because I got a killer deal. Carried a Benchmade Reflex prior to that. For saltwater use, I’d look at the marine line of Spyderco knives.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Thanks for all the insight fellas!! Got it narrowed down to a few choices now. I was not wanting to spend over 100$ but I’m thinking I may just to give one of those Spyderco’s or Benchmade’s a try. The 2 that caught my eye and met my specs are looking to be between 110-135$. I did find a discontinued Kershaw that I want as well for around 60… maybe I’ll splurge and get them both, this Klien Tool back up from work is barely making the cut… see what I did there :sunglasses:

Fishing Nerd

There are a few things in life you don’t skimp on and a knife is one of them.

“…be a man and PM me.”

I’m glad you started this topic,it’s time to retire the Barlow.

Bang, I have always applied that theory to my TV and my bed… now I guess I’ll apply it to my knife as well. I’m usually pretty rough on knives and tools in general but I’m getting better these days…the other thing is, I sure would hate to have my cast net snag my pocket clip and sling my 100$+ knife into the marsh though… it didn’t hurt my feeling too bad when it did it to my 50$ Kershaw Sunday :face_with_head_bandage:

Fishing Nerd

This has been my EDC for about 10 years. Does not hold an edge as well as I would like but love everything else about it.

https://www.benchmade.com/automatic-knives/impel-family.html

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Bang, I have always applied that theory to my TV and my bed… now I guess I’ll apply it to my knife as well. I’m usually pretty rough on knives and tools in general but I’m getting better these days…the other thing is, I sure would hate to have my cast net snag my pocket clip and sling my 100$+ knife into the marsh though… it didn’t hurt my feeling too bad when it did it to my 50$ Kershaw Sunday :face_with_head_bandage:

Fishing Nerd

I can appreciate that. I’m hard on my gear too but that’s why I buy the best gear I can afford, because I know it can handle the abuse.

I’ve had the same Benchmade Rift clipped on my pocket for many years now. She’s not as pretty as she once was but it still holds a great edge and it still gets the job done. It hits the water with me every time I hit the lake or the saltwater and it’s part of my EDC gear. A couple of pulls on the Worksharp and she’s shaving sharp and good to go.

“…be a man and PM me.”

quote:
Originally posted by Reelescape

This has been my EDC for about 10 years. Does not hold an edge as well as I would like but love everything else about it.

https://www.benchmade.com/automatic-knives/impel-family.html

Now that’s a badass little knife… now I want that one too lol

Fishing Nerd

I am sure some other knife companies do the same but, Benchmade will re-sharpen your knife and replace broken parts for free. I send Both mine out every couple of years for a good, professional re-sharpening.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I am sure some other knife companies do the same but, Benchmade will re-sharpen your knife and replace broken parts for free. I send Both mine out every couple of years for a good, professional re-sharpening.

Their service is definitely a good reason to buy Benchmade but to be honest, get yourself a Worksharp and follow the VERY simple instructions and you’ll put a “professional” quality sharpening on the blade every time. Everything with a cutting edge in my house (lawnmower blade, all of my knives including my kitchen knives, scissors, axes, machete…) can be and is sharpened by my Worksharp. Very good investment and they’re not that expensive.

https://www.worksharptools.com/original-knife-tool-sharpener.html

“…be a man and PM me.”

Ended up pulling the trigger on the Benchmade Barrage with Valox polymer handle with a plain blade! I cant wait to get this tool in my possession, it’s gonna be sweet! Thanks again for all the insight! I may look into that sharpener as well but I can put a real good edge on a blade with my Smiths sharpening kit already, but I’m not too proud to try something new!

Sman, you strike me as a Case XX knife kinda guy but those Barlows are good knives for what they are!:smiley:

Fishing Nerd