Favorite Pocket Knife

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick She's not as pretty as she once was but it still holds a great edge and it still gets the job done.

“…be a man and PM me.”

are we still talkin about pocket knives?

also do you name your knives?

why is it a she? usually boats and things that break alot [DF’s brakes, anything on his boat] are female. just wondering the protocol here.

Glad to see you call a knife a tool! Cant do with out mine in my pocket. feel nacked when I go to the airport or courthouse. When there is a need at church they know they can depend on me for a sharp blade!

quote:
why is it a she? usually boats and things that break alot [DF's brakes, anything on his boat] are female. just wondering the protocol here.

My knife is extremely sharp and I am trained to use it. You still haven’t sorted things out with Bonzo have you?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I also would recommend a Spyderco with H1 steel. That **** will not rust. I have a few dive instructor buddies that keep one clipped to their BC all the time and they’re still shiny after hundreds of dives

pre congrats on 2 pgs

SOG Flash II

" The seas was angry that day, my friend"
George C.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod
quote:
Originally posted by bangstick She's not as pretty as she once was but it still holds a great edge and it still gets the job done.

“…be a man and PM me.”

are we still talkin about pocket knives?

also do you name your knives?

why is it a she? usually boats and things that break alot [DF’s brakes, anything on his boat] are female. just wondering the protocol here.

After consulting with my knife, I must apologize to my knife. As it turns out, my knife does not self-identify with any specific/particular gender, race, creed or religion.

And…first on 2.

“…be a man and PM me.”

Boatpoor, yessir, they are certainly tools to me! I feel discombobulated without mine as well (Pod is googling that word right now I betcha)

I may eventually try one of those Spyderco’s, but if I wanted a knife made in Japan, I would only settle for a Katana! I want an American made knife in my pocket lol

Thanks Pod, tryin to catch up to your Independence Day thread…

I like SOG’s as well, I have ran a few of them over the years and have zero complaints, excellent knives IMO.

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

Stump,you got me,I carry a sodbuster.How bout those ceramic knives ,they any good?

I’ve used ceramic kitchen knives that were pretty badass but that’s about it.

“…be a man and PM me.”

I’ve always gotten by with pretty cheap knives and never had any issues. My favorite one was made by a gun manufacturer, I think Beretta, and it was SUPER easy to get razor sharp. I have a short Kershaw that I like to carry when it’s not convenient or appropriate to carry a 3 inch blade.

I’m surprised none of you are in the OTF crowd for your EDC. One of you commented that you have a quick deployment but with an OTF you can technically deploy while it’s in your pocket and faster with the spring assist. I realize the springs won’t play nicely with salt water but my skinning and fillet knife can handle the dirty work.

First, Most, Biggest

quote:
I'm surprised none of you are in the OTF crowd for your EDC. One of you commented that you have a quick deployment but with an OTF you can technically deploy while it's in your pocket and faster with the spring assist. I realize the springs won't play nicely with salt water but my skinning and fillet knife can handle the dirty work.

Se my post. Benchmade Phaeton in FDE. And while most OTF knives will “deploy” inside your pocket, they won’t “lock out” as they are designed not to for safety purposes. If I take mine and opened it against an object, it will come out but not lock out when it hits the object.

Few years back, well maybe more than a few…
Got back from a 6 month float-about and saw on the TV a ‘new to me’ type commercial, after the Tonight Show aired. Some folks were selling a bunch of wicked awesome knives for short money! They were cutting tomatoes, cardboard, fish, animal bones, sheet metal…
Well, I had to move fast as there were only so many sets left and time was running out.
A week later I got a box full: over 12 dozen, all sizes, shapes and colors. Cost averaged out to around $2.25 per knife.

Got what I paid for!
(still have some left)

Ginsu knives??? Awesome!

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom
quote:
I'm surprised none of you are in the OTF crowd for your EDC. One of you commented that you have a quick deployment but with an OTF you can technically deploy while it's in your pocket and faster with the spring assist. I realize the springs won't play nicely with salt water but my skinning and fillet knife can handle the dirty work.

Se my post. Benchmade Phaeton in FDE. And while most OTF knives will “deploy” inside your pocket, they won’t “lock out” as they are designed not to for safety purposes. If I take mine and opened it against an object, it will come out but not lock out when it hits the object.

^^^This^^^

I have a Benchmade Infidel but it’s more of a purpose built knife and less of a “tool.” I prefer a knife with greater versatility (like my Rift). Plus, it’s not the first part of my EDC kit that I’d want to have to use. If it comes down to my knife, things have definitely gone sideways.

“…be a man and PM me.”

I guess I just didn’t google enough of the knives listed. I’ve always thought OTF’s were pretty cool but a bit rich for my blood. In general I prefer blades that can be abused and I don’t feel like I’m breaking something important.

When it comes down to it my favorite “knife” is my Schrade Kukri Machete. I think it technically qualifies as a large knife. It’s big enough to take down large limbs but small enough to carry on or in my hunting backpack. I like to have something to cut limbs in case I audible to a new location.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5SZ4J6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First, Most, Biggest

I love my custom knives, but I have always carried a Kershaw leek…small, pointy and I can keep it wicked sharp, and good stainless steel for around $50

I love my custom knives, but I have always carried a Kershaw leek…small, pointy and I can keep it wicked sharp, and good stainless steel for around $50

I usually carry two knives, one for self-defense and one for general use. I have one of those Kershaw Leeks, that has to be one of the pointiest knives I’ve ever seen.

I only have the OTF knife because I got a deal too good to turn down. I ain’t rich either but, Benchmade will always take care of you if you break a knife during normal use. I have another Benchmade auto knife I’ve had more than 10 years and I am not gentle with it.

I have a Gerber Gator that has been a great utility blade. I love the grip that is solid in wet weather. I never sharpen my blades on a stone or any of the scraper type pull thru sharpeners. I use a strop and sometimes a paper wheel. All of my blades will shave!