First Aid and CPR

I was getting signed up for my refresher class this week in First Aid and CPR and remembered this article I had put it together a few years back. Thought it was one well worth posting again, not because of my fabulous writing skills, but due to the content. If you have not taken these classes perhaps this article will spur you on a little bit. If you have taken these classes and it has been some time you many want to sign up for a refresher. My wife, a nurse at Roper Hospital, just had her refresher and she was telling me about some pretty significant changes in CPR methods that have recently been introduced. Without further ado here is the article from a few years ago:

Through my “regular” job I am set up to be a “first responder” to any in house accidents or incidents that occur. In order to fulfill these duties and in order to keep my Captains License up to date I am required to take a First Aid and CPR class once every two years. My company requires the training to be in compliance with the American Heart Association, and therefore certain topics must be addressed and the class is required to run at least 6-hours.

Last week I attended my bi-annual training. I will be the first to admit that in years past I have looked at the class as just another requirement to fulfill; however, this year I had a new outlook. Perhaps it is the fact that I have a newborn son at home and wanted to make sure I could help him should anything ever happen, or perhaps it is because my wife is a RN and I recently witnessed her and another nurse respond to a medical emergency at a resort while I ran and got help and all others just passed by and watched, or perhaps it is the fact that I am getting older, a little more cautious, and my obsessive compulsive personality wants to be prepared for any situation that I encounter.

The instructor, a 20 year EMT veteran with Charleston County, did an excellent job covering the course material. As he covered each topic he provided real life scenarios and helped all of us envision