Fish Can Be Like Kids

If you have raised kids you know that often times finding something they want to eat can be tricky. Things they liked yesterday, they suddenly do not like today. While you can almost always count on a few things they will always eat, there is just not guarantee. Fish can be very similar when it comes to what they may want to eat on any given day as well. We’ve had our boat surrounded by spadefish before that would not touch a jelly ball, but they would eat peeled shrimp, other times they would only eat squid. All species can be picky at times and your game plan needs to be adaptable to what the fish may want on any given day.

Last year my son and and had the rare occasion to fish several days in a row. The first day I caught more fish throwing Z-Man’s Green Lantern color. The next day he had more success on the Z-Man Pearl color. He actually put it on me pretty good that day as I was stubborn and stuck to what had worked for me just one day before. The third day I threw my color and he threw the Pearl and after his third fish to my zero, I switched to pearl and started catching fish.

Sometimes to the key to catching fish is being flexible in your approach. Even if something was working today, there may be slight changes in weather, water clarity or other factors that may change what works for tomorrow. While live bait does not seem to be affected as much as artificial, it can still change. Always be prepared to change things up and don’t be afraid to try something new if your original approach is not working.

With the kids I would recommend you teach them to like what they are offered, but teaching a fish may be even more challenging.

Andy Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com</font id=“blue”>