Fishing from the banks on Tybee

Good evening, All,

My family is going on vacation to Tybee Island the last week of July. I’ll be armed with a spinning rig and a temporary fishing license. I’d like to know if I can fish the inlet on the south side of the island or is that private property - according to google maps, it appears I might be able to walk the sandy beach. If so, what would you suggest for bait? I’d like to catch some reds, trout, flounder & anything else I can make a meal of.

Thanks in advance.

No real private property anywhere on the island as far as the beach that stretches from the far north side to the south side where it turns into muck and no longer beach. We fish every year when we go down there…not a ton of action but have caught whiting, spot, trout, etc. The North side has some nice rocks to fish and there is a pier on the right before you cross the bridge to the island that does well for croaker, shark, etc. I’ve never fished artificial baits…always used real bait. Tried salted shrimp last year and it held on the hook well but produced less fish than the fresh shrimp we bought on the island. I’ll be down there before you and I’ll let you know how it went this year. We have been using fishingreminder.com and fishing their minor/major feeding times with more success than going out based on tide alone. Walk the beach the first day and look for troughs, pools, etc on the beach at low tide and fish those areas when the tide is up. For Whiting just fish them right past the breakers as they aren’t that deep. Also remember you can’t actively fish for Shark there on the beach so if you do catch them throw them back to be safe.

I will be going down that area possibly this weekend and I will also let you know how the fishing is.

Sorry about the delay in posting again…

We fished 3 days down there and did fairly well. As far as eating fish we caught a few whiting, a blue fish, a pompano, and a few other randoms skewed in there, but mostly whiting.

We also did fairly well catching dogfish and rays for sport fishing. This was all from the banks on shrimp and squid that was frozen. Guys down the beach from us also did fairly well. As I said before look for troughs and fish the mouths of those and for whiting just cast in those areas or anywhere really right past the breakers.

Thanks guys for following up. Like I said, I think I’ll just take the spinning rig and get some shrimp or some fiddlers and plan on just having a good time - whatever’s biting.

I went to Edisto Beach instead of Tybee. Where do you park when fishing from the banks at tybee. I know parking is 2.00 per houir at the pier.

My out-laws rented a house for the week, but I’ve been looking at riding my bike over to the beach area at the end of Inlet Avenue or going over to the Back River pier.

I have SC fishing lisence. Do I have to get GA lisence to fish off of Tybee Island?

quote:
I have SC fishing lisence. Do I have to get GA lisence to fish off of Tybee Island?

Yes!! Unless they moved the state line when I wasn’t looking, Tybee is in Georgia:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

How far off???

Around Tybee and the inlet. I thought that’s a share water so you can fish on both sides

The north channel of the Savannah River is the dividing line. All of Tybee is south of that. If you are standing on the bank on Tybee you are in GA.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Got it!

Thanks