Fishing New Areas

There was a time before marriage and kids that I was able to fish several days a week. During this time I was able to go out and find tons of new areas to fish. Fast forward to today and raising a family has become a priority over fishing several days a week and at times any days a week. When your time on the water becomes limited you tend to slip into habits of frequenting the same areas where you know you have a chance of catching some fish and you don’t spend much time searching out any new areas.

Last week I had the opportunity to fish with a couple of friends and I was in my, hit the spots and try to put these guys on fish, mode. We managed one flounder and one trout on my first three spots. I suggested we pick up and run to another spot down the river. My friend suggested we pull a drift down a bank I was not familiar with. Normally I would have said no, but given that my plan was not working out so well, I agreed to the suggestion. The result was, we caught fish and I found a new bank to fish. I have probably passed this very same bank no less than than a 100 times over the years.

Part of the fun in fishing is to challenge yourself and learn more about fishing. Part if this learning process is to pick an area that you have not fished before, look over the area and figure out where the fish will be. If you can learn to look at conditions and understand how the fish feed, you can have success in all new areas.

Andy Pickett
CharlestonFishing.Com
</font id=“blue”>