Fishing Traditions

This past weekend I had a chance to put together a trip that has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. There were many Saturday mornings growing up that I would accompany my dad and some of his friends out to Morris Island to enjoy a day of surf fishing and other weekend days where my mom and brothers would come and we would fish as a family. There are many great stories of some of these trips and many great memories.

When I looked at the tide and the weather for Saturday the offshore fishing was looking like it was going to be pretty sporty so I decided to see if my dad and brother would like to head out to the island for a morning in the surf. We also decided to bring the third generation (my son and my brother’s two boys) along with us.

We were able to catch an abundance of bait on our ride out and started fishing almost the moment we hit the beach. The first hour was very slow, actually it was dead, we did not lose a single bait or get a single strike. I was thinking that it was still a great trip, but it sure would be nice to see someone catch a fish while we were there. After a little bit of time we decided to try and fish a different area. My dad cast his line out and I walked out made sure I was clear and of his line and cast mine out. When I walked back next to him his line us under mine and across. I thought I had done a really bad job of making my cast until his rod doubled over and the reel started singing. We ended with the day with three really nice redfish and one shark. We also ended the day with more great memories of fishing Morris Island and now those memories are also shared with a new generation of our family.

As I was talking to my son on the ride home I started to realize just how many years fishing in this location has been a part of my life. I am almost 50 and can say that I know I have been fishing there for at least 40 years. To be able to share some of what I learned and experienced as a kid from my dad with my son and my nephews is something