Florence

About the middle of last week, both the GFS and EURO models showed Florence going South along our coast as a Cat 2 or Cat 3 over Charleston to about HHI before heading inland. I can not remember a hurricane as hard to predict as this one. The steering currents were very weak, allowing the storm to meander slowly along. Nothing was clear before the fact.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

We need to train hurricanes to do exactly what we want them to do, and we can avoid these shenanigans.

You said shenanigans.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

You said shenanigans.

https://goo.gl/images/xRS5zq This is how I imagine DF

Not quite that old but I sure feel that way sometimes.

“You don’t always know where you stand till you know that you won’t run away.” ~Slipknot

McMaster sounds like a 1800’s Kentucky Colonel…ha ha

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

McMaster sounds like a 1800’s Kentucky Colonel…ha ha

Foghorn Leghorn.

I met him one time at an event at the state fairgrounds. 3 things stuck in my mind - he was wearing hushpuppies. Every time he was asked a question, he had to confer with an advisor. He complained about the heat and had to retreat inside his bus after about 10 minutes. The hushpuppies looked so wimpish. I voted for the young Marine.

I think we should all vote Henry for governor…we need a bunch more Goobs in South Carolina government.

Oh yeah…

SOMEBODY OWES ME A DANG HURRICANE!!!</font id=“size6”>

Hey y’all I know I’m coming in late on this one and there is sure no shortage of opinions here. Anyway…

The NOAA / NHC update that comes out every 6 hours is really valuable and useful. Location of the eye, storm magnitude, direction, speed of movement, predicted course / “cone of probability.” I have the one from Monday, Sep 11 saved on my phone and it clearly shows the northerly course and earliest possible landfall at 8pm Friday (actual, as we now know, was Saturday morning).

I feel like I can make informed decisions regarding the safety of my family from that. I decided on Monday that the Thursday 11am update would be the one I would use to determine what we would do. I did use that (which was a clear indication of landfall significantly north of us) and obviously all was ok.

If we have another Hugo, I am just worried like others that, after Matthew and Irma and now Florence, all the Yankees and transplants will think they are old hands at hurricanes and not leave even though they are in unsuitable homes / locations to ride a storm out. None of those storms was even worth moving the furniture off the porch for here in CHS.

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”