Folly Fishing Report (or rather a lack thereof)

Returning to surf fishing (and this forum) after a couple years hiatus. First nice day of the year so I hit Folly near the lighthouse yesterday. I used fresh shrimp and fished pretty close to shore and along some of the groins. The water is still pretty cold and I got skunked, but it was gorgeous weather and great just to unwind a bit. Just wondering if anyone else who is still on this forum has had any luck. Seems kind of dead in here.

Right now there are whiting in the channels of the inlet close to the rivers, some random black drum and whiting in the surf and black and red drum and trout occasionally around the rocks. The surf doesnt pick up until march and then its still slow for the most part.

A lot of skunks out there too

February through early March surf trips I call “Ray Days”. The Atlantic Rays should be spawning now, they don’t get big and are good catching practice when there is nothin’ else. The surf temp will probably drop a couple more degrees into March. My last beach trip was 10/23, some Whiting a couple Palometa and one Pompano.

Did some fresh water fishing in November, floating Shiners in the Rice fields caught some decent Large Mouth.

Gonna hit the beach on Sunday 2/28. Not expecting much but that’s “Fishing” if it were “Catching” anyone could do it.

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing in the surf like an idiot."
"There's a fine line between fishing and standing in the surf like an idiot."

Nice going Parker. Reminds me of growing up in those rice fields next to the old Berkeley yacht club when my Granddad had one of the first houses on that road and his house backed up to the rice field. My brother and I started with a john boat and 100ft of rope, as we got older he put a trolling motor and 200ft of rope, by time we were 10 and 12 we had a 9.8 and were cut loose. We trolled the canals with broke back minnows and fished the edges with fresh live shiners and those were some of my best days of my life. Ahh the good old days… thanks for the reminder, I miss the times with that man!

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!