Folly Map to Coast Guard station

https://images.app.goo.gl/X1436zCzWKMC6Fhh7

Not many people call that the Coast Guard end anymore, been fishing the Edge of America since about ‘85 when you could bring dogs off the leash, fish for sharks, drink openly, park for free, walk through dunes, take sea oats home to decorate… oh, and you could drive onto the beach at 10am on a Saturday without waiting in a line of traffic back past frigging Sol Legare

Don’t go down there much anymore, but there are a few reasons good enough to go to the old stomping grounds

My wife’s grandfather had one of 5 beach houses during WWII, they were required to paint the ocean-facing windows black so zee Germans couldn’t recon the coastline from their u-boats

Coffin Island got some history to it y’all

3 Likes

We used to wade across to Morris Island, at low tide, and dig for war relics. Until I saw a couple of huge Sharks, feeding in the eddy, that used to form just off of the base of the light house.

Talk about a nervous trek back across…

Also, do you remember the “Caution, nude sunbathers beyond this point” signs?

Only encountered one, who was posing for a photographer, in all of her nekid splendor…

There’s history involved anywhere you live in this great country. Became friends with an 84 years young fella that moved onto Whooping Island when he was 3, he has some great stories about the fishing pier at the beach which used to be called McConkey’s beach and the nearby community center that had the only phone on Edisto. Used to be a nice beach house town at Eddingsville beach before a hurricane, read a fella from Baltimore was instrumental in getting the railroad to the island to ship oysters to New York City and plantations grew indigo and sea island cotton. Lots of change in his life time here

Haha yessir, remember seeing plenty of folks up in the dunes rolling around on a blanket together too. I was so young all I knew was they were having a great time.

FIL has a picture of the lighthouse with a small house and picket fence yard full of goats right next to it. His dad and the light keepers young son were friends when the place washed away… but that’s what happens on barrier islands in the lowcountry, nobody sued each other over it back then

Do you know what year the jetty’s were built? Barbawang

And do you know what year the place washed away?

I don’t know when it washed away but I think it was gradual. Would’ve been maybe 1930’s and the jetties were finished in 1895 according to my google.

I do know the jetties caused Morris to start eroding badly, and that’s why we have dynamite hole. Could’ve been the same thing that did in the light keepers house

2 Likes

Sorry about all the questions but why do we have dynamite hole?

Coastal transport of sand moves it down the coast here, it’s why the north ends of our barrier islands are generally eroding and the south ends are generally accreting.

If I remember right, sediment from the harbor and the sands washing down from sullivans were blocked by the jetties, and I think the south jetty also made a back eddy along Morris. It was scooping out bad, so they blew a hole in the south jetty. The north jetty got buried in sand till it no longer touches the beach, which I think they must have known would happen.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-jetties-that-stabilize-Charleston-Harbor-South-Carolina-were-completed-in-1896-The_fig6_288351172

Wish I knew more, and hope i got most of that right. Also wish her grandpap was here to ask, that man had some amazing stories

1 Like

This says Charleston harbor entrance channel prior to the jetties was 9 feet

I like the part about the mattresses and the “one man stones”, would have been fun to drop the last rock and swim back to the barge when it sank, I think it was steam cranes putting the boulders down?

Boy, if the Washout could talk… man o man… the memories