Fresh (Local) Shrimp??

Well, this may be the worst idea in a long time but, my whole family (brother, SIL, sister and her BF, nephew and his wife and 3 kids and my wife and kids) will be on IOP for 4 days later this week for my oldest son’s graduation from CofC. We want to do a shrimp boil with all the fixin’s, so I’m looking for a source for some fresh shrimp besides a grocery store. Has local shrimping started and if so, where is a good place to get some?

Thanks!

The local shrimping season has not opened. My wife picked up some previously frozen shrimp from Geechie Seafood on Shem creek about a week ago. I couldn’t taste the difference in the shrimp boil, and actually wouldn’t have known if she didn’t tell me they were previously frozen.

DF a fellow has been selling fresh shrimp from Florida off Coleman boulevard just before Publix on the right hand side under a tent heading towards the beach. Keep an eye out for it it is tough to see. The ones he has are huge 16-20ct and I think he charges either 12.99 or 13.99 per pound for the jumbos with head off. Not cheep but they are huge and fresh. Only ones I have seen around here at this time. If Connor is looking at any surf fishing. Tell him on Sullivans out front of the light house if he takes a left and walks down a couple of blocks there is a fair amount of structure and sand bars and troughs that can be located at low tide. Haven’t tried it, but it looks pretty good. Probably sharks, rays, blues and whiting. Reds are very hard to come by this time of the year in the surf, but not impossible. Y’all will be in striking distance for the Joey tomatoes roast beef sandwich.:smiley:If you get there before noon they have some tables outside. Located about 1 minute from Haddrels. Y’all have fun!!!

Sounds good Pete, thanks for the info!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I may get excommunicated for saying this but, if you cannot find fresh or frozen local or “east coast” (as the grocery store label says) shrimp then the imported shrimp from Argentina is a good substitute. Miles ahead of Asian imports.

My uncle worked on the Winds of Fortune and other Shem Creek boats, I am all about buying local shrimp. My frozen supply was not large enough and I needed some and that’s what I tried them.

“You have the right to the pursuit of happiness. You do not have a guarantee that you shall have it.”

My brother found some at Simmons. They weren’t frozen, guy said they were locals? They were beautiful and tasty.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

My brother found some at Simmons. They weren’t frozen, guy said they were locals? They were beautiful and tasty.

Not local… Maybe out of Florida. Just checked with Dnr and the NMFS Game Warden both said that no local Shrimp are being harvested yet. This is what I hate about the industry they will lie thier ass off to you to sell product

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Possibly packed out locally.

I had some Florida shrimp when I was in Hilton Head last week. They were very good.

“You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.” - C.S. Lewis

I’m all for local shrimp…but if the local boats aren’t running I’d gladly get them from another USA source…hopefully this season turns good for our local guys and gals…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

They were large and tasty and they were fresh. I told my brother I was pretty sure the SC season had not opened but he said the man claimed they were from SC. Why not just say they were from out of state (in the US)? No need to lie, we would have bought anyway.

South Carolina Seafood retail dealers have every right to lie. The SC General Assembly has made sure of this!

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

South Carolina Seafood retail dealers have every right to lie. The SC General Assembly has made sure of this!

huh?

quote:
Originally posted by P-K
quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

huh?

Republican controlled SC General Assembly…

RBF

Federal waters opened in Georgia within the last couple of days. Roe shrimp being caught there now.

Unless you know for certain the source and how long they took to get to the seller, I’d pick frozen shrimp over “fresh” ones. Again, knowing for sure the source. Don’t rule out wild-caught shrimp from Argentina.

On a little side note and babbling, Mexican beef may be a little tougher than U.S. but that is because the cows don’t sit in a tiny feedlots getting pumped up on growth hormones to make it to slaughter weight, they are free range cows and mostly hybrid strains that don’t need pampering like our meat cows do

94% of the shrimp available in the U.S. are farmed in Asian countries, including Thailand, Vietnam, India and Indonesia if you are into getting the ez peels from you local frozen foods dept of all grocery store chains… no thanks.

It’s really a shame that that we have no(limited) laws governing seafood labeling.

C/P :

Don’t trust these labels:
Environmentally aware
An easy claim to make, but it’s not backed by a consistent set of standards to ensure that shrimp were sustainably caught or farmed.

Natural
This term has no official definition for shrimp. Ignore it.

No antibiotics
On meat and poultry, this term means what it says, but when it comes to shrimp, the term is not defined by the FDA.

No hormones
There is no government or official definition for this term on shrimp.

Organic
There is no approved standard for organic seafood in the U.S.

Sustainable
There is no regulated definition of “sustainable.” Any seller can make this claim.

Turtle Safe
This claim is not backed by a consistent set of standards.

Myself along with representative goldfinch have tried to get truth in seafood laws passed in South Carolina. Unfortunately the hospitality industry (chain restaurants) or strictly against it and make sure that the bills do not proceed through the legislature. That is why fraud is so prevalent in the industry. I always find it amazing how grouper stays on the menu over the winter months when there are no local fish being caught here. Most swordfish and dolphin in restaurants is also imported. There are a few exceptions, and I will be happy to private message who tells the truth. I always seem to piss people off when I expose their favorite eatery as lying about where their product comes from.
Make Simmons prove that the shrimp are local. He has to have an invoice that shows where the product came from… Call him out. I will bet that they are not local or they are previously frozen from McClellanville. This is one of the reasons that people miss my Seafood store

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

So true. Part of the invoice is the certificate of origin. It is law that this document be on the property . So the seafood processors or whole sellers are required by law to tell the truth to the retailers - but the retailers are free to lie to the public.

Fred, it was awhile back but, some friends of ours in Beaufort were telling us about a great deal on Ribeyes. Just go to Piggly Wiggly. Took their advice and went.

Product of Mexico…No Thanks.

As Paul has mentioned many times, the “Truth in Seafood” should be the rule/law!

NN

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

Myself along with representative goldfinch have tried to get truth in seafood laws passed in South Carolina. Unfortunately the hospitality industry (chain restaurants) or strictly against it and make sure that the bills do not proceed through the legislature. That is why fraud is so prevalent in the industry. I always find it amazing how grouper stays on the menu over the winter months when there are no local fish being caught here. Most swordfish and dolphin in restaurants is also imported. There are a few exceptions, and I will be happy to private message who tells the truth. I always seem to piss people off when I expose their favorite eatery as lying about where their product comes from.
Make Simmons prove that the shrimp are local. He has to have an invoice that shows where the product came from… Call him out. I will bet that they are not local or they are previously frozen from McClellanville. This is one of the reasons that people miss my Seafood store

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

I miss it Paul. Loved getting a veggie sub from next door and filling it with your smoked salmon. Your employees (and yourself) always went out of the way to explain anything or give advice on cooking and catching. Hope you are doing well.

If you are ever in the Walterboro area give me a holler and I’ll hook you up with some garlic and new potatoes. and soon maybe some squash and cucumbers.