Full size half ton trucks

It’s getting to be that time. I have it narrowed down between Silverado and ram. What is the better truck and why?

I’ve had a 2003 dodge ram for ten years. Bought it a year old and it was my daily driver for eight years. I bought a sedan two years ago for fuel economy/comfort/reliability and the dodge has turned into just a hunting/fishing truck. 155K miles and it hasn’t let me down. The fit/finish after ten years is severely lacking though. Cracks in the dash from the sun, both drivers and passengers pillar handle busted. AC and power steering need work, but since it’s a fishing truck I haven’t cared too much. Getting tired of the sedan and now I’m looking at a 2014 Chevy/GMC/Dodge.

Looking for a truck I can have another ten years. The dodge is going out to the country to become a farmqueen. I like the look of both, but I’m curious if the Silverado would hold up more than the ram.

Thoughts/experiences?

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Never been a Dodge fan but would probably consider the Ram over the Silverado. I’m actually a Tundra guy.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I’ve had two 95 Z71s that when I got rid of them they had 212 and 244,000 miles on them, and my 2006 held up great until the guy I sold it to wrapped it around a tree. I have loved my older chevy’s, but I can only talk about them. I don’t know if the new ones are reliable like the old ones.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I’ve known a number of guys driving the Nissan full-size. One is a commercial business here in town, and they’ve owned several of them for several years, and they adore them.

Personally, since my needs would be FAR more in the realm of reliability than with overall brutal performance, I’d go with the Toyota first, and then I’d consider the Nissan and Silverado side by side. The only truck I would consider buying less than the Ram would be that awful thing made by Mitsubishi. Mitsu is worse than Dodge. At least the Dodge is good looking.

I have never (ever) been a Dodge fan, and I personally would not spend money on anything made by Chrysler. It’s a personal preference, I know a lot of y’all love your Dodges, and I understand why. I realize they are some of the nicest looking, nicest riding vehicles on the road (I really like the Challenger, especially), and the Ram is just a work of art. But I’m still holding a grudge against them for the crap they built for decades. I’ve known far, far, far too many people who had blown head gaskets and transmissions way before 100K miles. I’ve known very few people who owned any Ram before roughly 2003 that didn’t have catastrophic problems with it, long before it should have. This is to say nothing of the untold piles of Plymouth Voyagers, Dodge Caravans, Neons, and other “disposable money pits” they made. My mother-in-law bought a Neon, and it gave her nothing but trouble.

It seems that the advent of their “HEMI” motors brought on a new era of reliability for them. [Hint: the “hemi” is just a gimmic at this point, I’m pretty sure every company makes motors that are basically a hemi-head).

I have a 25 year old GMC 1500 that was pretty heavily used (towing some heavy stuff) that lost the transmission at 170K miles, and the motor still runs fine despite a minor head gasket leak that I’m limping along with a band-aid until I can get the motor swapped out. And unlike Aaron Tippin’s car, the radio on my truck is about the only thing that doesn’t work.

I see very

Farmqueen

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Farmqueen

Thought you’d like that.

My friend has a 2010 Silverado Z71 4X4. Has 90,000 miles on it. Has brand new transmission and brand new motor at 80,000 miles. Still has problems with it. Something about when it switches from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders it reacts strangely. He has a couple buddies with the same motor and they have all had problems with it. It is the 5.3 V8. His truck is 4 years old and now his dash has a giant crack all the way across. His truck is the LTZ model and cost close to 50K brand new. 16 MPG is what he gets. Dodge makes the best looking truck but I would not touch one. I am not loyal to any brand , but I have a 2007 F150 with the 5.4 V8 and have had zero issues. Just make sure whatever you pick has a solid warranty. I like Toyota , but the Tundra is butt ugly and the Nissan is a gas hog. Good luck

Key West 1720 115 HP Johnson Saltwater.

Dodge RAM with the Eco-Diesel. Thank me later. 28mpg. Bought my first RAM last July, always wanted a Cummins, this truck blows the Ford away. Never considered a Chevy after the 6.5L I had. Nissan is also set to release a new Titan with a 5.0L V8 Cummins but the mileage isn’t quite as good as the Eco Diesel in the RAM.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

Dodge RAM with the Eco-Diesel. Thank me later. 28mpg. Bought my first RAM last July, always wanted a Cummins, this truck blows the Ford away. Never considered a Chevy after the 6.5L I had. Nissan is also set to release a new Titan with a 5.0L V8 Cummins but the mileage isn’t quite as good as the Eco Diesel in the RAM.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

I would buy the Dodge that salty is referring to. Just not one with a gasoline engine. Great looking truck. I think the Dodge Diesel's are about the best there is.

I have a 2003 1/2 ton LS 1500 5.3L 4WD w/80K mi.
Still runs fine and has been garaged so finish etc looks new.
However:
-tranny blew at 60K-rebuilt tranny installed by McElveen blew days after install-3rd tranny is OK-so far!
Cost me $3,000
-fuel gauge and CD player broke-$400 repair via internet-dealer wanted $900
I do not abuse the truck and plan to keep it; so I take care of it.
Given GM’s recent history; I would be very careful.
The recalls have been confined to cars; are trucks next??

“Watch what we do, not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

My first 3 trucks were Fords…then 2 Z-71-s (Both had transmission problems before 100K, then bought a Dodge/Cummings…had transmission problems at 80K, now I’m back to Ford with the Ecoboost. Only have 19K on the truck with no problems so the jury is still out. If they put a Cummings in a Ford with the Chevy Allison tranny…I’d buy it.

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

If you want a reliable truck go get a tundra, it will outlast either of those. If you’re picking based on looks you already know which one you like.

I have owned several chevys, will never buy another gm product! I currently have an 07 ram with hemi and have 95000 miles on it. Only problem I had was the shift solenoid went out at 50,000 miles and it wouldn’t go into od. Had no other problems whatsoever and so far the interior is holding up much better than any of the GM’s ever did. This is my first dodge, but I will get another when this one is done. The new hemi’s have 395hp and mine only has 345 and it’ll drag my boat like it’s not there.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

This 09 GMC 5.3L 6L80(6speed auto) was my baby. It had all the bells and whistles. I loved this truck. I’ve always had good luck with GM trucks, so I dug deep and bought this one. The motor popped around 130k. Being that my truck had 130k on it, it was out of warranty. Theres no recalls or anything on this. GM’s cylinder drop out to save you gas will burn your @$$! Just like CooperRiverMan said. I too have had a few buddy’s get burnt by this. A guy at work has one identical to mine, and the delearship has already dropped 13k in the motor of his, and his truck has less than 50,000 miles on it. My recommendations is to get a crewmax tundra, or a cummins.

But, my truck before this was 2000 z71, with the 5.3l. It had 230,000 miles on it when I sold it to my buddy. He’s still driving it today. I should have kept my old truck!

1971 NEWPORT DAYSAILER 21’
1970 MAKO CC 22’

quote:

Mark

I agree Cummins is king in terms of durability and potential power. However, I’ve been driving my 2007.5 Silverado 2500 with the Duramax 6.6 LMM since 2009. I had the cat and dpf removed and added a chip, which are the only aftermarket alterations. It has 180,000 miles, and the only major work I’ve had done is a water pump (a few weeks ago). I haul a fully-loaded tandem-axle trailer to and from Charleston on a regular basis, and I’ve never had a problem. Good truck, comfortable ride. When the time comes for me to purchase another vehicle, a 2500 D-max is the first place I’ll start my search. Just my $.02.

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

quote:
Originally posted by CooperRiverMan
quote:

Mark

I would buy the Dodge that salty is referring to. Just not one with a gasoline engine. Great looking truck. I think the Dodge Diesel's are about the best there is.

VM Motori out of Italy builds the engines for new Eco Diesel Ram. My vote would be for a Ram. I am biased though becuase I have been driving Rams since 2003…

I have an 08’ Ram 2500 Gasser Hemi with 82k on it. I’ve owned it for the last 15k and have a complete set of service records from the first owner. 0 issues to date… Just towed 7500# across the state and back in 95 deg heat without a hiccup… I get 13.5/18.0 highway, 9-13.5 towing.

I expect 200k+ out of the truck & orig motor.

quote:
Originally posted by Lawman
quote:
Originally posted by CooperRiverMan
quote:

Mark

VM Motori out of Italy builds the engines for new Eco Diesel Ram. My vote would be for a Ram. I am biased though becuase I have been driving Rams since 2003…

Yes and the engine was originally designed for GM and the European option on the Cadillac CTS. The engine is used in a number of configurations and automotive platforms throughout European countries. Here in the US it is currently in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge RAM 1500’s. Rumor has it that GM ma

Lots of opinions. Hmmm. So like I said, I’m looking for a half ton truck and its between Ram 1500 and Silverado/GMC 1500. Anyone have one of the 2014s? The reason I was thinking of staying away from Ram was the fit/finish on mine. I guess Chevy has issues with quality too?

This will be my daily driver and towing is secondary. 90% of my towing is the little 16’ boat. I pull a 24’ CC occasionally, but I don’t need this truck for work.

I have an 07’ Toyota Tundra Crewmax with 290,000 miles on it. Aside from routine maintenance, the only thing I’ve replaced on this truck is a starter and an evaporator core. Could not be more pleased. If it blew up today, I’d still be happy. It still drives like its brand new and I am hoping I can get another 100,000 miles out of it. There is nothing that indicates to the contrary.

This truck pulls my buddy’s 25’ Sea Cat like there’s nothing back there.

They are more up front; but you get what you pay for, and for 7 years of hassle free performance, this truck has proved to be a bargain in the long run for me!

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC