Full size half ton trucks

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Lots of opinions. Hmmm. So like I said, I’m looking for a half ton truck and its between Ram 1500 and Silverado/GMC 1500. Anyone have one of the 2014s? The reason I was thinking of staying away from Ram was the fit/finish on mine. I guess Chevy has issues with quality too?

This will be my daily driver and towing is secondary. 90% of my towing is the little 16’ boat. I pull a 24’ CC occasionally, but I don’t need this truck for work.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Are you looking at a base trim cloth interior or more upscale with leather. That was the one thing that I wasn’t sure of buying the RAM but the leather in mine is dang nice. The rest of the interior and dash are well appointed as well. A buddy of mine has a GMC with leather and I cannot tell much of a difference in the overall quality of the interior. I think Dodge really stepped up their game in the last few years on their comfort, ergonomics and interiors, at least in the Laramie lines. Though the leather isn’t as soft and supple as in a Ford Lariat, it does seem to be tougher and better stitched.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Yes, 23, Chevy has problems with quality!
Consider the troubles I have had with my 2003 built long before the 2008 mess. Think they will be built better now? I doubt it.
Forgot to mention that the wind/wiper control board went out-$400 repair.
The knock sensors on the 5.3L have a habit of rusting out-an $1,800 repair-luckily mine have not-but many have.
SO, if you are a good shade tree mechanic and enjoy fixing machinery to save cash, Chevy is your best choice!:smiley::dizzy_face:
If I ever buy another truck, it will NOT be a Chevy.

“Watch what we do, not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

I dont like the options you have limited us to so I will help you out and add the pre 2014 Tundra Crewmax to your list.

Your welcome.

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:

Lots of opinions. Hmmm. So like I said, I’m looking for a half ton truck and its between Ram 1500 and Silverado/GMC 1500. Anyone have one of the 2014s? The reason I was thinking of staying away from Ram was the fit/finish on mine. I guess Chevy has issues with quality too?

This will be my daily driver and towing is secondary. 90% of my towing is the little 16’ boat. I pull a 24’ CC occasionally, but I don’t need this truck for work.

Are you looking at a base trim cloth interior or more upscale with leather. That was the one thing that I wasn’t sure of buying the RAM but the leather in mine is dang nice. The rest of the interior and dash are well appointed as well. A buddy of mine has a GMC with leather and I cannot tell much of a difference in the overall quality of the interior. I think Dodge really stepped up their game in the last few years on their comfort, ergonomics and interiors, at least in the Laramie lines. Though the leather isn’t as soft and supple as in a Ford Lariat, it does seem to be tougher and better stitched.

Mark
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

I’m going to get a load

Go with the Ram, it’ll last longer… I know it sounds funny to me too. I was looking at them yesterday, I would avoid the crew cab with the rambox, the bed on those is tiny inside. If you don’t need the full crew cab, the quad cab model has a full size bed, not the shortened up version, but a smaller back seat.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Having driven many different Chevrolets for work trucks, they are strong, but I’ve had 3 different trucks have screwed up brake/ accelerator assemblies go bad. At about $1000 a pop, I was damm glad I didn’t have to pay for them that being said, just got back from a 1600 mile road trip with my 96 Silverado, with nary a problem.

it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission

14’’ McKee/30 'rude
“Shenanigans”

Still pretty much a Ford man, but I do have a 2014 Dodge 5500 that I got talked into. So far so good. Dodge has come a long ways. Very comfortable ride and plenty of power.(Cummins) as to the long haul… that remains to be seen.

On the Silverado’s 80-100k you’ll be putting in front hub bearings. Or at least we have in every one have. Also they don’t like hard braking and eat pads. Other than that we’ve got a mix of 6.6 diesel and 5.3 gas that get the tee-total heck beat out of them that get traded around 180-200k. Lost a couple of trannys but no engines.

My 2c Dodge for a work truck, GMC for a more luxury ride. Pretty much all makes and models are running a close race.

You know what they say about Dodges… A Dodge will dodge everything but the garage. Tough choice there… On one hand you have a Dodge (enough said), on the other a govt sponsored recall queen. As said earlier, love my Ecoboost.

23, you’re good at growing lemons… Dont drive one.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

2 cents from me:
I love my Ford F150, I’m on my third one and would buy another one over any other vehicle, period! Ford is also now putting their own diesel engines in the new trucks if you want such. I have three friends in the “rep” business, one puts about 200k / year on his trucks… he sent two Dodges back before they hit 60k for various issues and mileage costs. One other is a die-hard Chevy fan and has had his in the shop 4 times but now has about 200k on his '09. The third is a friend of mine, NauticStar rep, drives one of the new Ford’s… if you want his number PM me, he is in CHS and he’ll give you his input… 100% loves it, no issues ever, and this is his second big-engine Ford pickup.

I’ve got a 2010 Ram Laramie 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and all the bells and whistles. I now have 127k on her and going strong. Only issue was the recall for the ring gear. I spend most of my day in the thing and I really love the air conditioned seats in the summer and the heated seats and steering wheel in the winter. 4th Dodge so far with no problems.

I think I’m leaning more towards the ram now after looking at several this weekend. Debating on waiting until the 2015s come out in a few months…

I drove an F150 and wasn’t overly impressed with the 5.0. I don’t need a big v-8, but there’s a noticeable difference going from my 11 year old hemi to that Ford.

I am in my 14th year with my Dodge Ram 1500, 2wd club cab. Overall it has been a good truck with a solid, dependable 5.2 liter engine. I did have to replace the trans at about 70K miles, apparently they used crappy gears back in 2000. Plus the dash board literally fell apart about seven years ago. After somne research I found out Dodge used some new formula to make the plastic and it didn’t hold up to the sun. Despite 10,000+ consumer complaints, Dodge didn’t recall them (non-safety issue). So I have it covered with one of those dash carpets.

Other than that, only general maintenance plus new ball joints and, recently, a new radiator.

So, would I buy another Dodge. Most likely because, despite the hiccups, it has shown longevity even though I am not one to fuss over a truck.

I recommend the Dodge Ram

j

quote:

I think I’m leaning more towards the ram now after looking at several this weekend. Debating on waiting until the 2015s come out in a few months…

I drove an F150 and wasn’t overly impressed with the 5.0. I don’t need a big v-8, but there’s a noticeable difference going from my 11 year old hemi to that Ford.

Eco-Diesel.

Mark

I’m waiting on Toyota & Nissan to come out with their diesel trucks before I pick my next ride.

21 Contender

Was that 5.0 the Coyote engine in the Ford? Wow, NICE! My wife drives a Mustang GT with that engine and it blows me away every time I get to run thru the gears. I’m drooling just thinking of that engine in a truck. You gotta think about the resell value too on that, the 5.0 would resell nicely.

I don’t care about the resell; I plan to keep my next truck for 8-10 years.

The next big thing?

http://wot.motortrend.com/1405_2015_ram_1500_could_sport_innovative_new_tailgate.html

quote:

The next big thing?

http://wot.motortrend.com/1405_2015_ram_1500_could_sport_innovative_new_tailgate.html

Nope, think of how much stuff slams against a tailgate, how long before one or all of those locks and hinges are bent or out of alignment. Won’t be worth a darn after a year if you haul stuff regularly.

Mark

Yeah, I don’t see that thing lasting. How about a reliable truck that gets half decent gas mileage? I love my Tundra but hate filling it up.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

Always been a Ford guy, but this thing sold itself to me. Whatever you do, don’t drive one.