Garage pit vs Lift

I’m thinking of building a garage and trying to put together the price tag for myself. Are there any of you that have a service pit in your garage for getting under the car and working? I don’t think this would be a terrible idea other than potential flooding or ground water seeping into the pit eventually. Isn’t that why we don’t have basements in the lowcountry?

Anyways, considering both options: a pit or a hydraulic lift.

Pros vs cons? Ideas?

Four-Post-Lifts-BendPak

I’m a lift dude which has more uses vs a pit. A pit would have to be covered unless you can secure the entry don’t want a youngin falling or riding into it. If you wanted to change a tire on your trailer or vehicle it would lift to your comfortable working height. You could lift your boat off your trailer if needed.

What you gonna charge for CFF members oil changes? :joy:

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Tire and brake work are easier from a lift. It would depend on what type of work you plan to do

1 Like

Just my opinion.
A pit not a
whole lot of good except for oil changes. And then accessing it you can only pull the car up about 2/3 of the way. Unless you make an access tunnel.
The 4 post lift like you have pictured are okay for oil changes muffler work and stuff like that. And even dropping a transmission.
2 post lift all around for changing tires brakes front end work rear end work. Doing transmissions even lifting bodies off .
If you do a two post lift just remember you will need a footer/ reinforced concrete for the mounting. And it’s better to install your mounts in the wet concrete instead of epoxying them in.
I had a 2 post back in the race car days loved it.

For the 4 post lift, there’s another product that you can buy that goes under the car but can move back and forth on the lift called a rolling jack mount or something like that. It allows you to jack the car up even on the lift giving access to remove tires for work. I like the stability of the 4 post over the 2 post lift and 98% of the time it would be used for storage rather than working on the car/truck.

I would much prefer the frame lift types where you can do tire brake and front end work I hate knocking out a tie rod end with the front supported by a jack

I am pretty much amazed that anyone it their right mind would even consider a pit…

Pretty much word for word on what OTC stated.

Bo, on the pit thing they are fantastic and unbeatable if you are only doing oil changes/services like a Jiffy Lube. Quick in and out. I’ll take a pic of the 10,000lb single goal post one I use. I’ve put a tad more on it, just know on a real heavy load you have to have vehicle centered very close. We bought it and the company came out and installed pretty reasonable 4 years ago. On the four post and drive up ramp ones I don’t like the space they take up.

If you are looking for it to double as a storage saver the four post would be the way to go so you could get it a bit higher, but then don’t forget roof height. I’ll send you the company number they do a variety and would be able to give you actual customer results and good pros and cons.

Keep in mind on the pits with our high ground water table you’d have to build it like a sealed in Pool with a sump pump installed

My brother belongs to a club that restores military vehicles. They put in a 10,000 lb. lift in their garage a few years ago. It would probably be overkill for a residential garage but, I would be more apt to go with a lift than a pit and I am sure you could get smaller lifts. Of course you’ll have to build a taller ceiling. A lift will let you do so much more than a pit. I am planning to rebuild the front suspension of our 99 S10. I “pay” the club a few cases of beer and I can use their lift. Had to replace a gas tank sensor. Hoisted the truck up, put a transmission stand under the gas tank and lowered it so I could get to the top of the gas tank. That would have been real hard to do on the ground. Ah, you get the point.

Or maybe I can get one four post and one two post…

Down the road. I’ve seen guys store cars on the two posts, but I don’t think that’s nearly as safe as the 4 post with the built in safety latches. I’m still in the dreaming phase right now.

What else should I add to the wish list for the ultimate garage? I’m already planning on overhead air lines and power.

A Mini-Split system for climate control…if you are insulating…

NN

Ricky, I wouldn’t worry about the safety aspect, the two post has lift locks every 8" or so. For convenience the Four post is the way to go, just drive on and lift it. with the two post you have to adjust arms to frame lift points. Insulate for heat and a/c and when pouring the foundation have them slope for water/fluid drain off. We put the drain under the lift in the Play shop. Hot and cold water for washing the Boat or cars is very nice. We got away from pvc air lines and put in stainless. PVC over time is just too much of a pain with inevitable air leaks. Good hose reels. Get a welder and torch set up (you won’t regret it and pretty easy to learn). Always remember when you figure on a size… go bigger while you are putting together the wish list. If you can keep an eye on Criags list or facebook market place a small tire machine for the farm/hunting/fishing preserve and such is very nice. Tools, tools and more tools… Maybe a sectioned off area for wood working, DFreedoms bowls really have me thinking about when I’m able to retire.

I like this kind of Dreaming. I can swing by the Play shop and take you some pics, just redid the floor. When you get down to the brass tacs and want to take a look one weekend let me know. IP builders put it up. Ian Padgett is a straight up dude.

You gonna put this shop on the 50 acres?

Hydraulic press

On your compressors get belt driven. Easier to replace a belt than a drive shaft.

Help a guy shut down his garage and my payment was a lift.
Had to put it outside my shop. Hand dug 2–4×4x6 ft footer’s.

I’m pretty sure the “footprint” on the newer lifts only requires a four inch slab.

Edit: I’ve seen Frame Machines with less footers?

Yeah that was probably a little Overkill. But I was young and had a strong back.