Garris Landing etiquette question

I don’t use Garris Landing much but used it today, primarily because they have a new floating dock adjacent to the ramp. When we pulled out this afternoon, I was dropped off at the floating dock, our boat then motored out of the way, I went and got my truck, and got in the vehicle line to haul out. Kinda like we always have done for like 35 years at a multitude of boat ramps up and down the coast.

While waiting in the vehicle line I was informed by an “old timer” who was also hauling out, that I broke an unwritten Garris landing rule. That rule being that the line for hauling out actually starts in the river, not once you are behind your tow vehicle. So I had unknowingly “cut in line” in front of several other boats. Not wanting an argument I apologized and went about my business.

Was the “old timer” blowing smoke or is that the procedure at Garris?

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150
Carolina Skiff (old school model)17’ Suz D50

I never heard that one before. Sounds like smoke to me!

I would have done the same thing.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 22 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 18 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I say you were in the right BB .I been puttin in a lot longer than 35 years around here and never heard of such.I have run into a lot of aholes at that landing before.They cant back a trailer so two people can use the ramp at the same time and they block the ramp getting ready to put in.Sorry to hear you had to listen to that BS .I know the N.Charleston in me would not have let me be as nice as you.My hat is off to you.I’ve had people tell me I cut in front of them before but if you aint ready or moving slow,thats just tough.

That’s a bunch of baloney! And quite silly if you ask me. Nobody’s going to wait around while others take their sweet time. I applaud you for being quick.

You can calling it “blowing smoke” if you want to but I call that clueless BS on the part of the “old timer.” You did the right thing.

God bless the “ignore” function.

how could you know which boat pulled up when, which trailer goes with which boat and when it would be ‘your turn’? Doesn’t make sense.

At Garris, the river (ICW)is a good 100 yds from the ramp. In my opinion, passing anyone in the river is fair game. There is no way to tell where they might be going. The approach to the ramp is a long narrow ditch and I would not pass anyone there.

Thanks for the input. Natureboy, we fell in line behind the other boats while approaching the ramp alongside the pier. Once close to the ramp itself, the 4 or 5 other vessels where in neutral or appeared to be in neutral, waiting for their trailer or the float maybe. No one was approaching the float to drop anyone off. It was a busy afternoon for sure, but it appeared to me most of these boaters only had one person on-board that knew how to back the trailer down and drive the boat, hence needing the float. Oh well.

Sea Hunt 207CC,Yam F150
Carolina Skiff (old school model)17’ Suz D50

Garris was busy enough before they put in the floater… wish they wouldn’t have done it…

The old man is off his rock… the ramp is first come first serve… like every other ramp in the world… just because he was slower than you getting to his truck ain’t your problem.

That (**() dock has brought a whole new crowd to that ramp… most of them clueless… oh well… Thats “progress” for you I guess.

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

It seems proper to me that if your boats trailer is on the ramp ready to load… Then you should quickly load your boat and get out of the way. Its like the barbershop. If I’m dozing off when the barber says NEXT I lose my place.

MM nailed it

I’d love to remove the dock

I wish they had never dredged it

“I don’t want to be accused of not being helpful so, I’d start by keeping my mouth closed when outside. Hope this helps.” -DFreedom Aug 28 2017

I understand the grousing about the dock and the crowd it brings. But the true problem we have is lack of access to water throughout the city. We need more access!
Dredging didn’t matter, it’s completely silted in now. Waste of $

1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

I understand the grousing about the dock and the crowd it brings. But the true problem we have is lack of access to water throughout the city. We need more access!

I hear ya… That ramp has always been a “small boat” ramp… its always been shallow, and tough for larger boats at lower tides… the new dock has just encouraged a bunch of people with bigger boats to start using a ramp that, because as you say has already silted back in, is really too shallow for them. Its just turning it into a **** show…

Opening new “deep Water” ramps would help alot… as long as they are in the wando, cooper, or harbor… I don’t wanna see anymore ramps on the upper ICW… but then I guess thats just me being selfish

Mad Mike

quote:

…or maybe less boats? [:I]

quote:
Originally posted by dparker677
quote:

…or maybe less boats? [:I]

Never happen now… Only going to get worse.:roll_eyes:

As to “old timers” , I’m at the age that I realize and don’t have to respect age as I did as a youngster, many are pure ignorant and not worthy of respect. Some “old timers” think age has brought them wisdom, when in fact it has not.

“Why Bruce?”

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Mike
quote:

I hear ya… That ramp has always been a “small boat” ramp… its always been shallow, and tough for larger boats at lower tides… the new dock has just encouraged a bunch of people with bigger boats to start using a ramp that, because as you say has already silted back in, is really too shallow for them. Its just turning it into a **** show…

Opening new “deep Water” ramps would help alot… as long as they are in the wando, cooper, or harbor… I don’t wanna see anymore ramps on the upper ICW… but then I guess thats just me being selfish

Mad Mike

I would go back to gadsdenville if the natives would let whitey park there w/o vandalizing sh*t

“I don’t want to be accused of not being helpful so, I’d start by keeping my mouth closed when outside. Hope this helps.” -DFreedom Aug 28 2017

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod
quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Mike
quote:

Mad Mike

I would go back to gadsdenville if the natives would let whitey park there w/o vandalizing sh*t

Yeah… I hear ya… still launch there to fish the flood sometimes… but

quote:

Oh no you didn’t!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Now just you hold on there Pee! You’re WHITE:question::question::question: Man, you been passing, for a long time![:0] Take your other truck next time. The 1 with the BLM bumper sticker on it and you’ll be OK:wink: