Garris Landing ruined

Boaters unite! It’s gone too far. Coastal expeditions has overstepped their bounds. Garris landing’s parking situation for true boaters has been ruined. Now when you arrive to go boating the parking situation has been ruined by single cars parking in trailer parking so that coastal expeditions can shuttle people out to Bull Island. When you drive into Garris Landing, parking for single cars is on the left. If that area is full, then single cars need to park outside the gate! First, it’s much easier for them to do that than it is for a trailer. The middle parking and the parking to the right is for trailers only! Coastal expeditions should respect true boats trying to park trailers and not make us park outside the gate for their customers benefit and let them know how and where to park. This is not a first come first serve setup. This is a boat ramp! Do we as boaters need to get a petition together? If so, i/we will. Let’s call/ email or whatever it takes to remind them that this is a boat ramp and not coastal expeditions parking lot! Happy/safe boating! Action required!

I completely agree.
Maybe some signage designating who should park where would help.

Have you started with calling Coastal Expeditions? They should be able to direct their customers.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Worst thing that ever happened there was dredging the channel and putting a floating dock up…

As far as kayakers…One thing I would like to point out is that every single boat owner pays yearly property tax to the county on both the boat and motor. There is not a single penny collected from kayaks …

17’ Mako //90hp Mercury
16’ Alumacraft // 20hp Yamaha
14’ War Eagle // 9.8hp Tohatsu
17’ Key West // 90hp Yamaha

quote:
Originally posted by Screamingdrag

As far as kayakers…One thing I would like to point out is that every single boat owner pays yearly property tax to the county on both the boat and motor. There is not a single penny collected from kayaks …

17’ Mako //90hp Mercury
16’ Alumacraft // 20hp Yamaha
14’ War Eagle // 9.8hp Tohatsu
17’ Key West // 90hp Yamaha

Aren’t there some current park investments that are specifically aimed at kayak launches? The one by Limehouse, and even St. Andrews Parks and Playgrounds was looking at property on Wappoo road by Edgewater for a park/kayak launch I believe…

Why would they explore these things and invest money in kayak launches if no $ is collected for their use of our waterways and landings/launches?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

maybe someone might suggest coastal should arrange carpools from say see wee Outpost…might bring buisness to the store there also.
We have noticed there are several who go out of folly who often block regular boat traffic also by leaving yaks and paddleboards on ramps giving instructions right there…and boats tying off for long periods at the docks there…sometimes even leave the boats there too. Everyone deserves access and everyone should be considerate of this

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Fox watching the hen house…

I gave up on Garris landing long ago. Its useless during shrimp season because of gate closure times. Its a public landing yet the a business is allowed to monopolize all the parking spaces . The landing should be open 24/7 like every other landing. During shrimp season I will gladly pay to launch at the IOP marina and drive the boat to bulls island. Once we had a engine failure and couldn’t get back to Garris before the gate closed. After many calls and hours of waiting someone showed up to let us out . We were treated like criminals and threatened with arrest! The management there treated us like the property was theirs - not the publics.

Call Trump he’ll get it fixed!

First step would be contacting the company causing your issues and see if they can get it to stop, give it some time and if it continues then run it up another ladder. County docks shouldn’t be used for commercial businesses and if they are then they need to pay for the ability to use them.

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

I think the federal boys run the show up there.Maybe you could contact them/the ones that work there.Only time I go there anymore is during the week to get oysters.Had to wait over an hour one day to load my boat after a long day of surf fishing because they were loading oyster shells on a barge.haha I think everyone has a Garris story.

Seems odd to me that a private business has use of this Federal property.

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

Call Trump he’ll get it fixed!

Good luck pal, Agent Orange is giving National Parks the shaft. If it’s bad now, it’ll only get worse.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/03/updated-presidents-fy20-budget-proposal-cuts-interior-14-percent

Robbie, you blame EVERYTHING on Trump. If you had ingrown toenails , it would be Trumps fault!

The problems with Garris landing started long before Trump - or even Obamba. The witch in charge out there was on a one woman mission to control access to Bulls bay and Island. It wouldn’t cost much to tear down or just not close the gate and designate boat trailer spaces.

So, its going to get better now that National Parks budget is being cut?

Robbie - you know that that was only a proposal that will be argued and re shaped. The problems at Garris are not about $$$$. You will never get over Hillarys loss.

Already happening Roscoe

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/03/doi-orders-national-park-service-halt-spending-recreation-fee-projects

What we are asking of Garris would actually save money. Perhaps your buddy Joe could help?

PS - Hillary still lost!

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

PS - Hillary still lost!

So what? How does that help deter a kayaking group from taking over the landing? Sman already said it's a federally funded facility

https://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/recEdMore.cfm?ID=42510

Since President Trump assumed office in January 2017, he has shown little outward interest in the National Park Service or its farflung collection of unique parks, battlefields, seashores, and monuments. He waited until midway through 2018 to nominate a director for the Park Service, and that nomination died in December without full Senate consideration and the candidate, Grand Teton National Park Superintendent David Vela, has yet to be renominated.