Gas grills

In the market for one, probably a large 5 or 6 burner, but maybe not. I really want a weber, but don’t have 800 to 1000 bucks to spend on one. Anyone bought one recently that seems to not be a cheap piece of junk?

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I have had about every brand out there and none of them lasted as long as i felt they should have based on what i spent. I felt the same way but finally did it and got a webber. Only regret i have so far is i didn’t do it a long time agim

I limit my grill to about $300 and plan on scrapping them every few years.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Yeah, I’m going for the Samsung with the built in tablet.
:smiley:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin
quote:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

el oh el!

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

I bought this grill about 3 years ago. It is still hanging tuff 3 miles from Salt water. Best of all worlds. Full size gas and charcoal w/ side burner. Only regret I wished I had got the side smoaker box.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Griller-Duo-Black-Dual-Function-Combo-Grill/1245537

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfin
quote:

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

That doesn't stay outside in the rain on the marsh. Also, I have a 5 year warranty.

Gas grills are “disposable” in my mind. I’m not looking to hang on to it long.

I used the Char Griller charcoal only for about 12 years. I added the smoker box later and cooked a lot of BBQ on that since. I would imagine the dual fuel model above would be a good bargain based on my experience with Char Griller. The cool thing is they sell parts direct. I would often replace wheels, handles, shelves, grates etc. to keep the grill going where my friends had to just buy a new one because their Wal Mart brand broke something. I currently have 3 grills on the back porch now, and my options would probably be Weber and Char Griller if I were looking now.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I think this is in the lead right now, consumer reports gives it a high grade.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-Deluxe-5-Burner-Gas-Grill-with-Side-Burner-and-Searing-Zone-in-Black-with-Stainless-Steel-Control-Panel-720-0896/206362589

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Gas grills you have two options: Really expensive gas or charcoal. The cheap gas ones don’t get hot enough to properly sear.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Gas grills you have two options: Really expensive gas or charcoal. The cheap gas ones don’t get hot enough to properly sear.

You aren’t using enough lighter fluid.

We had a Char-Broil Infra-red that would sear the crap out of a steak. It worked great for about 4-5 years then I started replacing parts. Nickels and dimes but I ultimately got tired of replacing parts and bought some other big box store grill. My wife still fusses at me that the new grill doesn’t cook a steak as well as the infra-red one did. I will probably bite the bullet on the next one and get a Weber.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

My wife bought me a high dollar gas grill which lasted 2 years under a roofed shed in the yard. My $99 Wally World grill... 2 years on average... put your hand on it and tell me it doesn't sear. I can cook 4-6 steaks on it. I guess I'm just tired of making expectations on newer and better. Squares Ville for me.

What was the “high dollar” grill?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/hybrid-fire-grill/

You can’t go wrong with a weber. They have a great reputation, great customer service, and great warranty that they honor. I have owned 3 or 4 over the years and no problems with them. My current one is the genesis s 310. It runs about 750 and allot of places are offering for 100 less on sale now for genesis model so that puts you in the 650 range. I like this model because it has a large cooking surface 507 inches, and stainless grates, bars and burners. The spirit line is too small to cook for a crowd, the summit line is too expensive. The things that go bad are the grates,bars and burners so it is important that they are stainless, if you want the grill to last. When these things go, most people buy a new grill. The tubs and lids never go bad on the webers so the need for them to be stainless and pay for the upgrade. It is powerful and has 3 burners that put out 38,000btu’s. The searing feature is offered on some lines but is definitely not needed on this weber, it will sear very well on high its just something else to jack up the price. The warming rack is useless and I just pull mine off giving a large square grate surface easily accessible. The side burners are another useless feature to jack up the price and are more headache and cumbersome than useful, stove inside works just fine. Big surface, stainless inside, powerful, sturdy, excellent history and reputation. Love my weber. Covering is very important. When you put your hands on a weber vs most other grills they feel flimsy. I do think you should look at the one from consumer reports above, they usually are accurate with their reviews and if it’s 300, what a deal.Webers last about 8 yrs when covered.

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

What was the “high dollar” grill?

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Came from a specialty grilling store here in Savannah. I don't recall the brand. 4 burner with a side cooker stainless steel. The store went out of business before the grill craped out. Put in some engineered burners and got fed up with the whole thing. Here's my present grill:

I’ll keep an eye on this thread for recs…

Sorry, didn’t read the whole post.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/char-broil-oklahoma-joe-longhorn-charcoalgas-smoker-and-grill

Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/Gas/Smoker Combo

I got mine from Tractor supply, and my son and my son-in -law got theirs from lowes. Dang thing works great. I guess the ladies got together and figured we all needed one for fathers day.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I even have looked at a few of the high end grills on Craigslist. Found a jenn aire, even one of the big weber grills for $100. The weber looked like it fell off a truck, called about replacement parts for just what I could see wrong with it in the pictures and it was over $500 just for reacement parts. Same for the jenn aire.

I’ve got a big charcoal grill that I love cooking on, but the bottom rotted out now, so I’m going to get a big gas grill and make a new bottom and coal rack for the charcoal grill for when I want to go that route. I think I’ll try the one I put the link up for and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the replies.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki