Gas grills

I have a Char-Griller three-burner gas grill. For the money it was pretty good - but I got a model that had enameled grates that the finish started to chip-off after the first year, and I had to replace. I think their latest models have the regular cast-iron cook surfaces standard.

-Lewis
http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com
http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

I tried to delete one post and deleted both of them… I will repeat what I just had up here he can spend a little extra money and get a grill that will last you a lifetime. John Haney of monks corner builds Alveron custom grills. He is just built one for NASCAR racer Elliott Sadler, and he builds for most of the competition teams In the Southeast. John’s grills are wood over gas, see you can control your temperature down to just one or 2° and it will hold there for hours and hours. :sunglasses:Here is a link to his page.
https://m.facebook.com/Alveron-Bbq-173475209410583/

John is a good friend of mine and we fished together every chance we get. He has taught me a lot about grilling the perfect pork butt and ribs. Before you throw away money on a disposable grill take a look at what he has to offer

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

I tried to delete one post and deleted both of them… I will repeat what I just had up here he can spend a little extra money and get a grill that will last you a lifetime. John Haney of monks corner builds Alveron custom grills. He is just built one for NASCAR racer Elliott Sadler, and he builds for most of the competition teams In the Southeast. Here is a link to his page.
https://m.facebook.com/Alveron-Bbq-173475209410583/

John is a good friend of mine and we fished together every chance we get. He has taught me a lot about grilling the perfect pork butt and ribs. Before you throw away money on a disposable grill take a look at what he has to offer

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

No problem Paul, I saw the pics of yours. Nice grill no doubt!. I’m just not ready to spend that kind of money right now. I have way too many mouths to feed and 2 houses to pay for.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Gas grills you have two options: Really expensive gas or charcoal. The cheap gas ones don’t get hot enough to properly sear.

You aren’t using enough lighter fluid.

If you’re using any lighter fluid in your gas grill I’m impressed by your manliness.

5 years on my Sears Kenmore all stainless gas grill.
4 burner with side shelf and side burner.
Still works great and looks great. No rust, no dents, no problems.

When I looked for grills I made sure to get all stainless. Anything black will rust and fall apart.

It sits outside under the grill cover.

quote:
Originally posted by friogatto

5 years on my Sears Kenmore all stainless gas grill.
4 burner with side shelf and side burner.
Still works great and looks great. No rust, no dents, no problems.

When I looked for grills I made sure to get all stainless. Anything black will rust and fall apart.

It sits outside under the grill cover.

Direct quote from Consumer Reports:

No one grills brand stands out as the most or least reliable. Coleman, Weber, and Broil King are less-repair prone brands than Char-Griller, Kenmore, and Member’s Mark. Due to their estimated failure rates, Kenmore and Member’s Mark cannot be recommended by Consumer Reports at this time. That’s what we found when we asked nearly 16,000 readers who purchased a new grill between 2010 and 2015 about their experiences. Our statistical model estimates failure rates for three-year-old grills not covered by a service contract. Differences of fewer than 7 percentage points aren’t meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and changes in design or manufacturer might affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good reliability estimate can improve your odds of getting a dependable model.

I think I’ll try something else.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

Gas grills you have two options: Really expensive gas or charcoal. The cheap gas ones don’t get hot enough to properly sear.

You aren’t using enough lighter fluid.

If you’re using any lighter fluid in your gas grill I’m impressed by your manliness.

It’ll get that sear you’re looking for.

Fifteen year old Holland Legacy Stainless. Sits outside uncovered and never misses a beat. It will probably still be here when I am gone.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

Weber is the way to go with cast iron cooking grates and stainless burners :smiley: !! The best warranty department ever !!!

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

I limit my grill to about $300 and plan on scrapping them every few years.

This… Or spend the money on something like a Wilmington grill.
I have a Holland (out of business) that is maybe fifteen years old. It does well for chicken and pork but is not good for direct fire items like steak and burgers. Chargrill (130.00 or so) lasts two years and throw it away. How many disposable grills can you buy for one Weber/jenair/etc…

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

quote:
Originally posted by Island Boy
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

I limit my grill to about $300 and plan on scrapping them every few years.

This… Or spend the money on something like a Wilmington grill.
I have a Holland (out of business) that is maybe fifteen years old. It does well for chicken and pork but is not good for direct fire items like steak and burgers. Chargrill (130.00 or so) lasts two years and throw it away. How many disposable grills can you buy for one Weber/jenair/etc…

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”

-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats
“Everybody dances when shotgun sings” Stewart and Winfield

Wal mart $99...I cooked 2 pizzas on one this weekend with the power out. I can buy 10 of them over 20 years. I'll be (**()ed if my grill outlasts me. I'll be 84 and eating oatmeal by then.

It ain’t gas, but it’s sho’ 'nuff the heat! Wife surprised me yesterday for my 40th. Woulda slept with it if it weren’t so heavy…:smiley:

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart

It ain’t gas, but it’s sho’ 'nuff the heat! Wife surprised me yesterday for my 40th. Woulda slept with it if it weren’t so heavy…:smiley:

I have a friend that has one of those and loves it. He found a guy in Augusta? that builds custom tables out of treated decking boards that his big green egg sits down in and it has wheels on it to roll it in and out of the garage. The table is big enough to put all of the essentials on for cooking and it looks really nice.

Edit: Not augusta, he said it was this guy, N. Charleston.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/fud/5720477099.html

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Nice Bart

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Nice Bart

'Preciate it, Pod. And thanks for that info, Tiger. I have the “nest” (the rolling stand), but we’re already looking for a table like the one your buddy has. I’ll definitely be in touch with the guy in the link. Regards.

That’s great. Good on you and your wife for making 40. It takes 2 good people to do that. We just hit 42 last month, and my wife hasn’t bought me a green egg. I want one! :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
He found a guy in Augusta? that builds custom tables out of treated decking boards that his big green egg sits down in and it has wheels on it to roll it in and out of the garage. The table is big enough to put all of the essentials on for cooking and it looks really nice

There is a guy who post an add almost every day for big green egg nests on Savannah Craigslist. They look pretty nice, but would be simple to build yourself.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Don’t want to hijack the thread but can anyone recommend a quality offset smoker?

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

That’s great. Good on you and your wife for making 40. It takes 2 good people to do that. We just hit 42 last month, and my wife hasn’t bought me a green egg. I want one! :sunglasses:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Thanks, Godfather, but it was actually my 40th birthday. She’s put up with me for 15 years so far, so we’ll see how it goes…:wink:

I had a little Webber esprit or spirit 300, loved it. Now I have a Swiss grill and would never go back. However, not to start an argument but I have a Treager that use almost 99% of the time. Neighbor has a traeger also and that is all he uses. These days I only use the Swiss grill for the rotisserie.