Gas String Trimmers

My Troy-Bilt string trimmer has malfunctioned for the final time. It is old enough to no longer spend money on to get it up and running. I need a new, straight-shaft gas trimmer. Looking at Cub Cadet, Echo,Husqvarna and would appreciate some constructive input (this is directed at Peapod) from anyone that has had a good experience with string trimmers. This will not see hard service, just occasional yard use so I am looking at units under $200.

Thanks

Stihl or Echo.

I have a Stihl straight shaft string trimmer that is bullet proof. Same for my Stihl cainsaw, polesaw, and blower. I am tough on equipment. I don’t abuse them, but I don’t “baby” them either.

The trimmer and chainsaw are over 10 years old. If it survives me, it is tough. No problems with any of these tools except normal maintenance.

Stihl only sells through servicing dealers. You might pay a few $$ more, but you get what you pay for.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker

Stihl is the way to go,Husqvarna runs a close second.

Double D.

The key to keeping even the best running is PM and use. Lack of use is just as bad as abuse. You can make a $69 trimmer from Lowes last dang near forever. Lowes has a few selections w/ straight shaft for under $200, go grab one of those and you will be good for years.

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

You can’t beat a Stihl for trimmers and saws.

The Stihl FS56RC-E is right at $200 and will run circles around anything you can buy at Lowes or HD.

The other advantage is if you ever need repairs then there are countless AUTHORIZED Stihl repair centers everywhere.

Stihl for me also.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

My Husqvarna is going on 5 years now, no issues. I hold them and Stihl in the same regard.

Roundup… if I can’t cut it with my riding mower, it doesn’t need to live.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I’m also a big fan of round-up. Once a season and no weed whacking necessary :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Yeah, I don’t live in the country so I can’t go on a full slash and burn campaign. I just need to tidy up a bit.

Also, never owned a 4-stroke weedeater, good, not good, stay with 2-stroke?

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

I have all Stihl stuff but the better move I made is to only run TrueFuel in all the small equipment.

Dont know how big your yard is, but those extra couple pounds on a foir stroke will show sfter a while.

Doug, We had the 4-stroke Troy-Bilt trimmer and had excellent results. I liked being able to buy separate attachments, mini tiller, 11’ pole saw. Was dependable for me, especially not needing to mix the gas. On a second note… For you Round up users. Try 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 1/2 cups epsom salt, and 1/2 cup Dawn dish washing liquid in your pump up sprayer. Spray in the morning and weeds and grass are dead for 3-4 months. To me it beats using Monsanto products.

quote:
Originally posted by Reelescape

I have all Stihl stuff but the better move I made is to only run TrueFuel in all the small equipment.

The piece of equiptment is only as good as the fuel you use !!!
True fuel only

i bought a stihl from Corkys off of folly road this summer. I’m really happy with it so far, don’t know if they are still doing it but when I got it if you bought some of their oil they doubled the warranty to 4 years. I decided on stihl because it seemed like most of the landscape companies I see use their equipment

18ft Polar CC 115 Yam.

“Pamplona is no place to bring your wife” Earnest Hemmingway

Bought a Stihl straight shaft in 2001. Still cranks on the first or second pull and runs like a champ.

I cant speak for string trimmers but for a brand example I can say this about their cut off saws. We used husky saws for years after they bought out partner saws. Husky took an awesome saw that lasted for over a year and cheapened up each new model till we would burn one out every month or less. We have three crews with one having two saws… you do the math… We switched to stihl and are getting a year out of each saw and the fuel Injected models are doing even better. In my opinion husky has gone the way of dewalt. Stihl is not as good as it used to be but is performing for us better than the others.

I do agree with the others about fuel. Non ethanol only and never use outboard 2 stroke oil in small engines. The oil cannot handle the heat of a small air cooled engine.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-Miscellaneous boats

I bought the kobalt trimmer from Lowes about 2 years ago. It and the blower work great and they are battery operated. No mixing gas no fumes,not a lot of noise. A charged battery will do my yard and driveway twice. It’s about $150.00 and comes with a 5 year warranty.

My echo is 18 yrs old, bought used on EBAY, service every 3-4 seasons. Simple 2 stroke. Tried various heads over the years. No issues. Actually all the lawn equipment except mower ( JohnDeere JX 75) is Echo- no issues with any. All bought used many years ago.