Gator's

So, our house backs on to a pond that is connected to Toomer Creek. We get gators in the pond from time to time. Every so often they will camp out on the lawn, probably happened 10 or 12 times in 7 years. We have dogs. We just returned from vacation and a 5’ gator was hanging around our lawn. My wife wants to build/plant a ‘gator exclusion zone’. Yeah, I know?..
She has ordered the 6" high stones used for borders and intends to plant a type of Bamboo that grows about 3’ high along our lawn that borders the pond.
I’m trying to tell her this won’t stop a gator and that we need to ensure there aren’t any gators around before letting the dogs out.
I’m not winning this ‘discussion’, so I thought I would turn to the wisdom of the board.
Any ideas, either on a constucting/growing a GEZ or even winning the argument?

thanks in advance
‘happy wife, happy life’.

I believe they can climb a chain link fence if they want to, no? Doubt it would work

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
President, Summerville Saltwater Anglers

have Bronco from across the street come and patrol your yard…he’s a tough little bastard isn’t he?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I have personally seen them climb a 5’ chain link fence. 6 inch rocks and bamboo, are you kidding me, that won’t stop a gator!

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I’ve got a similiar situation. I just keep a 12 gauge and a .308 near tha back door and always watch the dogs when they go out in the morning. Haven’t seen a gator in about 4 or 5 months though. My oldest daughter has a King Charles Cavalier spaniel that we dog sit occasionally, I really worry about our owl/hawk population nearby with her. I’ll shoot a gator in a heartbeat, but not a raptor so I just stand close when she’s out. I remember an episode of “The Crocadile Hunter” where a 12-15 foot crock got out of its specially designed enclosure. Don’t know if bamboo would be effective. Good luck.

build a sandwiched picket fence across the yard with a gate for water access. they can’t climb the fence without horizontal support for their feet/paws/claws whatever you want to call them.

sandwiching the pickets prevents them from being knocked out either direction.

Good call Carl, I will see if patrick will lend me Bronco!
Thanks everyone else, by the way I would love to use my new Mossberg 12 in defense of my dogs but I’m in Park west so I’m pretty sure I would be spending a night or two downtown if I broke that bad boy out in my back yard!
cheers

Yeah, I’m on Johns Island. Keep the gunplay under control over there!

Bamboo is prolific…you will essentially be planting a nightmare of vegetative dominance that will have no effect on alligators, but will change your landscape in a way you may not want it to.

Sol Mate
Mako 20B
225 Optimax

GEZ-Gator Exclusion Zone…HA!

Put an FSU flag on the back lawn.

13ft Whaler with 25hp Johnson

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Just an idea…Electric horse fencing mounted on 10-12" pvc pipes. Fairly cheap experiment…

Saw this video today and it reminded me of this thread.

https://www.facebook.com/RantPlaces/videos/434494496729814/

Wisdom of the board. Lol

“Enough hijacking, this is a major thread”

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

Wisdom of the board. Lol

This thread is certainly dumber now…

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Might sound crazy,but the sound of a lawnmower or weed wacker works to get them from the lawn.I have worked on golf courses before and that was our way of moving the gators off of the course.If that is not satisfactory to the Mrs., then call dnr or someone to relocate them.Or fried ,grilled gator tastes really good.

Double D.

elect yankees to run the hoa.

we did it here and everything native is gone.

Yankees really do love running HOAs…

“Edaniel is a compromising liberal, according to past threads, so consider that info here too.” - mac daddy

Critter Control will remove them for a fee.
We have them on call in our development.
They took a 7’ female out of our pond yesterday.
She had been chasing dogs;almost caught a 90pd Lab.

“Watch what we do, not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

A bolt action 22 with subsonic rounds is likely cheaper and easier than any other option. Thought if the gator is bold and will let you get close take a solid stick to head will knock out a 6’ gator.

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all