Good ol fashioned snapper & grouper slamming 12/10

Went out this morning with Purpose One and two other highly esteemed bottom fishermen. Felt like it’d been years since I had been on the big pond… and I do mean pond. It was epic…

Left in the fog. Viz was still okay in the harbor- about 100ft. Once out the jetties, the fog was gone, and we ran 35kts all the way to 115’. The sun starting coming up about the time we slowed down to get the bait out the cooler.

Purpose One tried a good snapper spot first. We began putting silver snapper, a.k.a. endangered red porgies, into the boat immediately. Before we could be done with our limit on them, I got a red grouper into the boat and the guy with the lucky jacket on got a nice 18# gin-u-whine red snapper, a.k.a. ARS, into the boat and then another… and then another. Everybody was putting nice sized black sea bass in the bote during all this time as well. Then, the vermillions showed up and we switched gears and lined the bucket and basket with them as well. Then the patriotic snapper showed up again- the Americans… I put two in the boat, and the lucky jacket put another two (I think) in the boat. Meanwhile more bucket liner snappers were flopping on the deck and the silver snapper were having to get thrown back because we’d limited out. The bite slowed, and Capn decided to go find the grouper before the morning was burnt.

We got them going at another spot- in around 100’ I believe. We each put a couple scamp or gags into the bote, and a few more Americans were caught, but they were short. Somehow, we were about to limit out on gags and Americans by this time. Black sea bass were raiding our B-liner rigs still. It was time for a cease fire. We had to get a pen and get a good count on all species before proceeding.

Sharks had moved in, but a grouper or two still found a way to get hooked. “Stop fishing, put that gag back; he is too short. Stop; we have to get a count…”

:roll_eyes: It was bedlam. It was madness. Fish were everywhere on the deck… bow to stern… port to sta

Sounds great! Where are the pics???:wink:

MISTAKES
It could be that the purpose of your life is to only serve as a warning to others.
All Rise - 31 Contender Fish Around with a pair of 250 Yamahas

quote:
Originally posted by Scoutin 4 Goodies

Sounds great! Where are the pics???:wink:

MISTAKES
It could be that the purpose of your life is to only serve as a warning to others.

Only took a few. Didn’t really take any of the fish because when they were biting so hard, we could not stop. When we moved to another place each time, we got the fish in the coolers.

When you take me on this hot tuna bite you’re talking about we’ll have to do that. Tuna bleed a lot, so the picture of them all over your deck will be fantastic.

Luke 8:22-25

quote:
Originally posted by Phin

When you take me on this hot tuna bite you’re talking about we’ll have to do that. Tuna bleed a lot, so the picture of them all over your deck will be fantastic.

I am thinking you should take me bottom fishing during the Christmas break. Kind of like an interview. You fill my boat with grouper, I will put you on a tuna in the spring.:wink: I am interested to see just how much you have been paying attention to P1.

MISTAKES

When did you buy a boat

“Allrise” 31 Contender fisharound twin 250 yamahas

You ever caught a tuna?

“Allrise” 31 Contender fisharound twin 250 yamahas

Wow Phin, great report. Felt like I was there:sunglasses:

He flew a long way to meet the business end of the old Binelli.

nice

This is not a chawade…

We need total concentwation…

That was definitely a great report Phin. Makes a fellow envious !
And always a good report from the decks of Purpose One; need to start saving pennies…

B.G.

‘89 Whaler Newport 17’
'92 Evinrude 88 spl

quote:
Originally posted by Phin

We could not see the buoy lights as we went between them. Suddenly, it appeared as though the mark on the radar that should have been one of the green buoys appeared in front of the boat. There was a green light, but then suddenly a white light above it. Boat head on!!! Not only that… it was a sailboat, and she began turning directly into our course to be broad sided. This blow boat was running directly perpendicular to the channel between the jetties under motor. The boat turned hard into our path as we had slowed to see what they were doing. The boat continued to turn into our course as we turned hard to avoid it. I guess they did not understand what red and green meant when either is seen coming towards them. I don’t know. It was unsettling.

Makes you want to get throwing stars and slice up a few sails when idioic blowboats get in the way. Had you t-boned them, I’m sure somehow or another someone would deem it your fault!

Glad you had a great day! Congrats

If the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, it is time to fertilize your grass

nice work guys!!!

Pioneer 220 Baysport
Yamaha F250

Was like that Sunday as well.

We need to take David Cupka out there and show him the undersized, overfished Vermillion Snappers. I don’t think we got one under 3 lbs Sunday.

When are we going to hook up and put a hurting on them?

“you’re gonna need a bigger boat”

P1 Fish Count:

6 ARS
1 Red Grouper
7 Scamps
8 Gags
49 BSB
40 B Liners
12 Pinks
Rudders
Triggers
Grunts

Purpose One Charters
Captain Rick
www.purposeonecharters.com
purposeone@comcast.net

You can email me if you have questions.

Nice report. Ya’ll got some fine fishin up in Chas!

“CatHouse”
1993 21’ Seacat w/ Twin Zuki 4’s

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish

Was like that Sunday as well.

We need to take David Cupka out there and show him the undersized, overfished Vermillion Snappers. I don’t think we got one under 3 lbs Sunday.

When are we going to hook up and put a hurting on them?

“you’re gonna need a bigger boat”

Any time there’s no wind and 80 degrees this time of year…

And if the SAFMC is reading:
P1’s fish count does not even include all the other fish we released. I guarantee you we released 2-3 times the number of fish we kept.

We burned through a lot of bait!

:sunglasses:

Great report as usual , Phin ! You and Purpose 1 seem to always
put them in the boat.How I envy you fellows. I have only caught a few Gags of which 1 was legal. I use to go out on the Miss Kahlua. However , he moved to NC about 1 1/2 years ago.’

Great work you 4 !

I DONT HAVE A BOAT
BUT LOVE TO FISH> HINT

Care to share some grouper numbers that actually produce?

He took the bait like a jugbelly redfish on an olive and white clouser.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Care to share some grouper numbers that actually produce?

He took the bait like a jugbelly redfish on an olive and white clouser.

I'll take you sugar britches...

This is not a chawade…

We need total concentwation…

Ridiculously good day… congrats!!

gotta be fast- like a marsupial