Got2Go 5/13/15...Dolphin in the Slop

After a productive and educating trip on the Mojo last week, I was kinda bummed out with all of the fronts, tropical storms, and weather windows. Then, I remembered I’ve got a Pioneer 197SF. 4 x 6 with widecaps, pffttt, [:0]. So, with a window of weather opportunity, I called up Northchucky and Mattie Ice (he’s Mattie Ice ‘cause this boy can’t get rattled!). We left the landing around 6:30am and put a few friskie baits in the livewell, some a little bigger than normal. Eased out, yep, nasty! Cruising at 22mph, we worked our way offshore little by little as the ocean tolerated us. As I approached the cobia grounds, the crew decided to push out in search of golden dreams rather than brownie goodness. 5 lines in around 11am (My Marshtacky riggers would have been handy today for sure!) and by noon we were down to only running 3 lines as we had found the fish. I cannot recall everything that transpired over the next three hours, but for a novice like me, it was a dream fulfilled. Singles, doubles, triples, livebait, waxwingz, Jigskinz poppers (I only say this because the fish wouldn’t hit my bright poppers, but Northchucky’s sardine popper gettin’ blown up…really, I am 100% sure that those fish saw the difference, 100%!). Boat bloodied, crew beat up, fish boxes full, and out of ballyhoo (only carried 3 packs, :frowning_face:, around 3pm. It took us an hour or so to re-group and hydrate, but we somehow managed, inspired by the free-jumping dolphin still around us. Cruised back in around 25mph with a little spray on the Pioneer as the sun was setting. Thanks again D and Matt for the trip and all of the work that it took on this trip and previous trips to make it happen today. Time to go clean the boat, re-rig, and sharpen knives…Saturday awaits, :wink:.

Highlights of the day:
D getting a bull around 40lbs on a Jigskinz covered popper only to lose it 30ft from the boat with a dolphin jump of 10ft in the air…Epic memory!

Me getting tailwhipped by the same dolphin, first in my moneymakers, then a Tyson shot

Carnage:

Just an awesome day. Got2Go and I have been plotting a dolphin trip like this it seems like for 3 years now, glad it finally came to fruition

Can’t describe the feeling watching that huge bull demolish that jigskinz popper. Wowza! Adrenaline rush for sure! Watching him free jump with the plug in his mouth for the next 10 minutes was entertaining as well :smiley:

Squid chain was getting destroyed today btw…

I think Andy is working on his patent for the shower curtain gull wing, no one steal it LOL! :wink:

“mr keys”

What depth? Area? Temperature break? Any weed lines? I’m looking to go out on Saturday.

Seafox 246 w 300 Yamaha

Outstanding report, Andy. Glad y’all had a safe and productive trip. How many miles did y’all end up covering?

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

Very nice.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Man … great job.

We won’t go out in that kinda stuff in our little boat.

Glad it all all worked out!

2005 Grady 209 Yam F200
“El Dorado”
1989 High Tide Super V-14
2004 Yam 25 2-Stroke

Johns Island, SC

Wow, Awesome day! Envious for sure. You fit all that in the fish box?

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

quote:
Originally posted by TTKarl

Wow, Awesome day! Envious for sure. You fit all that in the fish box?

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

Kinda, if you count broken tails and cocked lid. Thought about using the fish bag, but just rolled with it.

quote:
Originally posted by sulcataman

What depth? Area? Temperature break? Any weed lines? I’m looking to go out on Saturday.

Seafox 246 w 300 Yamaha

3 degree temp break with a good weed line…lines in @ 220ft…and, I live in Hanahan. Not to mention the speed I ran in the snotty ocean. Lots of good clues, but you gotta think about it a little.

Looks like a great day! I’ll be back in town early next week ready to kill some fish

quote:
Originally posted by Black Bart

Outstanding report, Andy. Glad y’all had a safe and productive trip. How many miles did y’all end up covering?

“I’m not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now…”

I think we burned about 40-45 gallons of gas, but not exactly sure yet. Cliff can fill you in, :wink:.

Crush.:smiley:

www.JigSkinz.com

Nice work guys! I’d say you officially got the “new” off the boat.

26 Seahunt
Angler’s Dream

Nice! We looked at going, but cancelled. I thought it was possible to squeeze a day out of it, but was not quite hungry enough for the 4x6’s…

quote:
Originally posted by Got2Go

Mattie Ice (he’s Mattie Ice 'cause this boy can’t get rattled!)

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

aka mhebbard…he’s pretty much a superstar I hear…:smiley:
and great report…glad they are still some fish hanging around…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

"how do you spell “wore out?” "

great day. Derek’s popper got stolen from him from that dang fish, and then it did some free jumping to show off trying to throw the hook. Such an emotional swing from the induced take to the unplanned release! Holy cow. Still awesome to see-

I am def not the superstar, I was pooped and D-rock was still filling the freezers all day. He caught them with 10 lbs of weedline, a box fan, and a tree on the line. The man is an inspiration.

We all had some probs with hook breakage early on for some reason? Bendy ones and some just snapped at the curve. Thankfully, most after the fish was landed. Not cheapy hooks mind you- these were supposed to be good ones.

Other cool stuff - had a slinger jump off only to have a much better fish grab the lure as soon as it hit the water. Super secret rig homemade from neighborman got 6-7 hits! Ended up losing the rig though =(

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

http://www.sustainablefishing.org/

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

Only in a Pioneer 197SF boys…

Dolphin have always liked that boat, G2G.
:smiley:

http://charlestonfishin.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61083

http://www.sustainablefishing.org/

www.joinrfa.com

Luke 8:22-25

“Only in a Pioneer?” From those pictures plenty of boats could fish that “slop”

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014