Got2Go 5/13/15...Dolphin in the Slop

Being “scared” and being in true danger are really two different things. You can be scared out of your mind, but not be in any true danger. I don’t know ANYONE who has ever ventured out in a small boat in Charleston and not made it back alive (at some point). I’m sure it’s happened, but statistically speaking, it’s incredibly small. Interestingly enough, we had 2 boats get abandoned in 2008. If you guys remember the story, they were timing a “window” and that window came about 4 hours early with 40+ knt winds. There was a proline about 25-26’ long caught in the frey and they reported 20’ waves. Could have been 10 footers, but none-the-less, they had the fear of God in them that day. They called mayday and abandoned ship only to hop on a cruise boat that was headed to Bermuda! Again, that was memorial day weekend 2008. The most interesting thing about the situation is that even WITHOUT A CAPTAIN, the boat was set to drift on it’s own and the boat was recovered a week later! That means that it was being tossed around every which way with no operator behind the wheel. My understanding is that the boat was bashed up, broken antennas, swamped engine, (i.e. it got a beating), but it was still afloat. The moral of the story: your boat can probably survive in much worse conditions than you think. Sure, it depends on the type of vessel, what it’s made of, etc. Do, I condone fishing when there is a “small craft advisory”? No, of course not. But, just stating the whole story here.

You can always tell when the pond been &@&$ up for a spell.

Most boats that are abandoned at sea by a terrified crew are later found still floating. Sometimes even years later.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Saw a few boat turn around this morning. 6 footers in the washing machine with the wind against the current

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Saw a few boat turn around this morning. 6 footers in the washing machine with the wind against the current

Buoy looked gross this morning...
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

Buoy looked gross this morning...

fun times!

Inside the north jetty was nice

“I remembered I have a Pioneer”
must be the new Chuck Norris of the offshore world…
Almost sounds like the old Shake n Bake commercials…

For those going tomorrow. Ocean still looks quite angry as of 8pm.

www.JigSkinz.com

quote:
Originally posted by Courtland

For those going tomorrow. Ocean still looks quite angry as of 8pm.

www.JigSkinz.com

Pioneer day for sure…:smiley: