Governors Cup

Epic first day out of Bohicket. 19 blues and one white caught by 28 boats and three coming back to the dock last time I checked. That is a seasons worth of first in some years. Billfish bite has been solid last few years for the most part. Hope it continues.

I would have hoped the Governors Cup would have raised the fork length to at least 120 inches. Actually, I wished they would do away with the kill tournament venue all together.

To specifically target billfish is a luxury.

It is a resource that is and has been under pressure.

That is three less breeding stock.

Sorry to be a downer on your thread, but, a 120 inch fish is at least 500 pounds and has had a chance to reproduce.

I hope my son gets to see one…free and wild.

I have no issue with your opinion and did not intend to express my opinion either way as to killing billfish. My point was just how many marlin were caught which made me super excited about fishing Monday. Your point is well taken though and the comment is appreciated.

I meant no disrespect. I’ve fished that tournament. I hope you catch the state record which would be over 120 inches.

Catch and release is hard on the fish. The long liners are deadly.

With the reports of blues from the limited days people have gotten to fish, it gives me great hope that the conservation efforts are working.

The weather should be perfect. Good luck.

We don’t need to be killing breeders any more. It simply doesn’t make sense when its a resource we all want preserved for generations. My 2 cents worth which no one really cares about anyway…

Tight Lines,
Dennis C.

Come on guys. Does it seem like they are in a decline? When is the last time you saw a tournament in SC where more than 50% of the boats caught blues in one day? Unheard of.

I agree with Skinnee on this one. The efforts put forth have really helped the populations.

One thing I can’t understand about this tournament is the points system…maybe someone can help

If I get 600 points for releasing a blue, and 1 point per pound for bringing one in, why would I bring in a 430 lb fish? Why not just release it? Can’t you do calculations based on measurements and determine if it’s 600 pounds or better?

I’m going to ride out there this afternoon and check it out…wish they had more dock room I’d take the Bentz-Craft, but it’s such a pain over there.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

There is a separate substantial cash prize for landed marlin that is why they land them. According to their web site only 31 were captured and released last year in 5 tournaments.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

I agree with Skinnee on this one. The efforts put forth have really helped the populations.

One thing I can’t understand about this tournament is the points system…maybe someone can help

If I get 600 points for releasing a blue, and 1 point per pound for bringing one in, why would I bring in a 430 lb fish? Why not just release it? Can’t you do calculations based on measurements and determine if it’s 600 pounds or better?

I’m going to ride out there this afternoon and check it out…wish they had more dock room I’d take the Bentz-Craft, but it’s such a pain over there.

Wadmalaw native

I agree with skinnee as well.

What I don’t like is what happened at big rock last year. There was a good many large fish already dried out the first several days and the last day a small fish was brought in that had no shot at the money.

Oh and the answer to your question is money.

quote:
Originally posted by Edisto82

What I don’t like is what happened at big rock last year. There was a good many large fish already dried out the first several days and the last day a small fish was brought in that had no shot at the money.

I think we can all sympathize with that one! If the fish doesn't have a shot at the money, leave it be.

But like you guys say, I take no issue with killing a few of these beasts for the cause of the greater good. The awareness, attraction, and funding that happens because of these tournaments pays it back 100 fold, not just here, but all over the world.

quote:
quote:

Wadmalaw native

If I'm not mistaken, that last fish to be weighed got tail wrapped and came up dead.They had no option but to boat the fish. Releasing a dead fish is a 400 point deduction not to mention the heat they would take for wonton waste!!

Catch’em up!!!

Monty

“Marlin Monroe”
35 Magnum Express
Trip Yamaha 300 4s

quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Monroe
quote:
quote:

Wadmalaw native

If I'm not mistaken, that last fish to be weighed got tail wrapped and came up dead.They had no option but to boat the fish. Releasing a dead fish is a 400 point deduction not to mention the heat they would take for wonton waste!!

Catch’em up!!!

Monty

“Marlin Monroe”
35 Magnum Express
Trip Yamaha 300 4s

I believe the one I am referring to was not tail

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

I think we can all sympathize with that one! If the fish doesn't have a shot at the money, leave it be.

But like you guys say, I take no issue with killing a few of these beasts for the cause of the greater good. The awareness, attraction, and funding that happens because of these tournaments pays it back 100 fold, not just here, but all over the world.

Agree 100%.

So the general consensus I see from everyone is either stop all together or either it’s ok to kill one when money is involved?

So what’s wrong when the average Joe, who doesn’t fish tournaments, doesn’t waste the meat, and always wanted to hang one big blue in his life, puts one in the boat? It’s perfectly legal. Heck NMFS shuts down fisheries all the time based off no data, you think if marlin were in trouble they wouldn’t shut that down.
I’d hate to see what would happen if someone posted a pic here of a 500lb blue laying in the back of their twin engine center console.

quote:
Originally posted by edistorunner

So the general consensus I see from everyone is either stop all together or either it’s ok to kill one when money is involved?

So what’s wrong when the average Joe, who doesn’t fish tournaments, doesn’t waste the meat, and always wanted to hang one big blue in his life, puts one in the boat? It’s perfectly legal. Heck NMFS shuts down fisheries all the time based off no data, you think if marlin were in trouble they wouldn’t shut that down.
I’d hate to see what would happen if someone posted a pic here of a 500lb blue laying in the back of their twin engine center console.

Maybe you are right. Maybe we should just manage our fisheries based solely on hypothetical problems that don't really exist.

[/quote]

Maybe you are right. Maybe we should just manage our fisheries based solely on hypothetical problems that don’t really exist.
[/quote]

pretty sure that’s how those idiots do it now.

There is a reason why they don’t touch marlin… I’ll give you a hint. It has something to do with these tournaments and the rich guys in them with congressmen on speed dial.

If these same boats were chasing red snapper, then you would see what I am talking about. Unfortunately, they don’t care about red snapper.

quote:

There is a reason why they don’t touch marlin… I’ll give you a hint. It has something to do with these tournaments and the rich guys in them with congressmen on speed dial.

If these same boats were chasing red snapper, then you would see what I am talking about. Unfortunately, they don’t care about red snapper.

And Bingo was his name-o!!!

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall…you are never out of the fight.

quote:

I don’t disagree with that, whole dang worlds that way. But why do so many feel its OK only when money is involved.

quote:
Originally posted by edistorunner

I don’t disagree with that, whole dang worlds that way. But why do so many feel its OK only when money is involved.

Because that money is what drives the conservation efforts. It's a "necessary evil". What's the point of a private individual drying out a 500lb fish? Is he going to feed it to Ernest Hemmingway's cats?