Governors Cup

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

I agree with Skinnee on this one. The efforts put forth have really helped the populations.

One thing I can’t understand about this tournament is the points system…maybe someone can help

If I get 600 points for releasing a blue, and 1 point per pound for bringing one in, why would I bring in a 430 lb fish? Why not just release it? Can’t you do calculations based on measurements and determine if it’s 600 pounds or better?

I’m going to ride out there this afternoon and check it out…wish they had more dock room I’d take the Bentz-Craft, but it’s such a pain over there.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

That's why Pea Pod has "feelings" for you...you a quick study. A fish over 130 inches is usually over 600 pounds or points!!!!!!!:

http://www.daybreakfishing.com/fishweight.html

Take the 600 points unless you got a chance at a record…WIN WIN.

As mentioned before, in these tournaments there is usually a “release category” and a “kill category” that have different purses, not to mention calcuttas as well. Typically the kill category\calcutta is where the money is.

I’ve never fished Bohickett, but that is the way it was in other tournaments that I have fished.

quote:
Originally posted by marlinman

We don’t need to be killing breeders any more. It simply doesn’t make sense when its a resource we all want preserved for generations. My 2 cents worth which no one really cares about anyway…

Tight Lines,
Dennis C.

Too bad the majority doesn’t feel this way. The only reason for brining in a dead marlin/sail is it didn’t revive or it is a chance at a state record.

quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy
quote:

We don’t need to be killing breeders any more. It simply doesn’t make sense when its a resource we all want preserved for generations. My 2 cents worth which no one really cares about anyway…

Tight Lines,
Dennis C.

Too bad the majority doesn’t feel this way. The only reason for brining in a dead marlin/sail is it didn’t revive or it is a chance at a state record.

So why is killing for a state record alright when killing to win a tournament is not?

Just curious.

And for what it’s worth I would kill in either situation.

Comical. Sorry some of you don’t target them or catch them somewhat regularly. There are plenty and if you don’t want to kill them don’t fish, period. They will die from being caught, both intentionally or unintentionally.im

bulletsrcheap

quote:
quote:

Tight Lines,
Dennis C.

False. The only thing that is too bad are the internet fishing heroes with ignorant opinions.

Two years ago we caught 11 sails and boated 6 wahoo all year. Should I start releasing my wahoo now? Cut this high and mighty “my opinion should be dogma” **** out.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with greasing a sail. It’s a fish that happens to have a larger than normal dorsal fin and a long pointy nose. How many have you brought back and grilled/smoked? As long as a legal blue is brought back to the dock and not wasted, there is nothing wrong with it. They are both pretty (**() tasty. Try it sometime.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Shh if some feel we should not keep them someone could be watching and say keep nothing.They are dang good do you guys eat sword fish?It has a long nose too.

quote:
quote:

Tight Lines,
Dennis C.

Thats your opinion. People eat billfish all over the world

quote:

a chance at a state record.

What is a state record worth nowadays in terms of USD?

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

I don’t know about a state record but I may or may not have been friends with a kid that hooked up a 700lb big rock blue to the back of his truck and drug it through the streets of Morehead. When finally apprehended they missed a felony grand larceny charge bc the value of the fish could only be determined by the current commercial rate per pound of blue marlin which at the time was comparable to mullet if I remember correctly…

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

quote:
Originally posted by Touche
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

I don’t know about a state record but I may or may not have been friends with a kid that hooked up a 700lb big rock blue to the back of his truck and drug it through the streets of Morehead. When finally apprehended they missed a felony grand larceny charge bc the value of the fish could only be determined by the current commercial rate per pound of blue marlin which at the time was comparable to mullet if I remember correctly…

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Uhhh why would someone do that to a marlin anyway?

I know man. I have no answers for you concerning that. I eat dinner at 5pm and go to bed before 9…

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

What year was that fished a lot of them dont remember that.

Pirates Cove**

http://m.obsentinel.com/archive/tale-of-a-fish-tail-four-men-mangle-prized-marlin/article_86f2c5af-f51f-52e8-a192-0371c25bebd5.html?mode=jqm

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Where do I start?

I choose not to be involved in kill tournaments for ANY billfish. The picture of a marlin/sail with your number is enough for me. I don’t need to see a dead marlin hanging on a scale to believe you “caught” a marlin. I enjoy the challenge of going out to “catch” a marlin between boats that are trying to do so. That’s the only time I target marlin.

“Thats your opinion. People eat billfish all over the world”

Sure they do. They sell it smoked on the streets in Hawaii…SO WHAT???
Does that mean the marlin are unlimited??? Read the data on the internet…the facts of by catch…IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. IGNORANT???
You have a library at your fingertips and you argue a moot point about billfish numbers.

“The blue marlin is under intense pressure from longline fishing. In the Caribbean region alone, Japanese and Cuban fishermen annually take over a thousand tons. All vessels within 200 mi (320 km) of the U.S. coastline are required to release any billfish caught. However, the survival rate of released fish is low because of damage during capture.”

“Never argue with a fool…onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

“Comical. Sorry some of you don’t target them or catch them somewhat regularly. There are plenty and if you don’t want to kill them don’t fish, period. They will die from being caught, both intentionally or unintentionally.im”

Read the data on releasing white marlin…it was worth reading.
Read about using a snooter…:

http://www.■■■■■■■■■.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-snooter-for-billfish_137387

I’ve been beaten on a gunwale by a green small blue with people holding on to me…I never seen or heard of a snooter till I read it on the net.
I use every tool I can to educate myself in ways to increase my odds at whatever I pursue.
You should try it before you shoot your mouth off and prove you are a fool.

As far as the fish is concerned, I read about marlin before probably a third of you were born…in a book. Now I have a resou

Jesus. You sir, are stating opinions. Some do not find beauty in a lit up billfish, therefore it is debatable. Some do not prefer sea bass over smoked billfish, and thankfully your opinion holds no more weight than the next man’s.

You are certainly welcome to your beliefs but to put down people on this board who act well within the law and don’t share your shame beliefs is asinine. Keep being the benevolent giver your parents raised you to be and I’ll see if I can live up to your “taker” accusations.

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

quote:
Originally posted by Touche

Jesus. You sir, are stating opinions. Some do not find beauty in a lit up billfish, therefore it is debatable. Some do not prefer sea bass over smoked billfish, and thankfully your opinion holds no more weight than the next man’s.

You are certainly welcome to your beliefs but to put down people on this board who act well within the law and don’t share your shame beliefs is asinine. Keep being the benevolent giver your parents raised you to be and I’ll see if I can live up to your “taker” accusations.

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

You already have. We're done.

Honestly, i did do a little googling on billfish release mortality because i have nothing better to do at this hour… On average, 86% of billfish survive release according to a sportfishing mag article. Or in other words, 1 in 7 die. Is the catch and release guy that caught 7 bills and released them just as big of arse as the guy that caught 1 and kept it?

quote:
Originally posted by millacd

Honestly, i did do a little googling on billfish release mortality because i have nothing better to do at this hour… On average, 86% of billfish survive release according to a sportfishing mag article. Or in other words, 1 in 7 die. Is the catch and release guy that caught 7 bills and released them just as big of arse as the guy that caught 1 and kept it?

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/comment-should-marlin-be-catch-and-release-only

I was lucky enough to get some smoked blue marlin last year from NC, made some of the best fish dip I have ever eaten. With all these fish coming in, who has the hookup?

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.