Governors Cup

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
Originally posted by mdaddy

a chance at a state record.

What is a state record worth nowadays in terms of USD?

2 spools of white braid and a HUK sponsorship?

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by millacd

Honestly, i did do a little googling on billfish release mortality because i have nothing better to do at this hour… On average, 86% of billfish survive release according to a sportfishing mag article. Or in other words, 1 in 7 die. Is the catch and release guy that caught 7 bills and released them just as big of arse as the guy that caught 1 and kept it?

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/comment-should-marlin-be-catch-and-release-only

I guess that’s a yes?

If it weren’t for these tournaments, marlin would have been gone a long time ago. What other reason do you need?

opinions are just like aholes…everybody has one.

Personally, I like the fact that folks are catching more than normal. Makes the odds better for all. If they kill a some, well, so be it.

quote:
quote:

a chance at a state record.

What is a state record worth nowadays in terms of USD?

SAFMC you suck!

Does anyone have day 2 results??

Six blues and one sail. One boat caught two blues and a sail but came up empty day one. Gryphon leading with two blues Thursday and one yesterday. Only three boats fishing today.

Thanks, is there a website with the standings? I could not find it earlier

http://govcup.dnr.sc.gov/

Only one boat fishing today. Probably wishing they had fished yesterday.

Rode out yesterday and watched the boats come in, and saw this stud get weighed…89# and some change IIRC.

Also, funny story time.

Was with a friend of mine and his young son (3), and they decided they were hungry. Neither of them had ever been to Bohicket, or Red’s, so we walked inside Red’s to get a sandwich. We both ordered the grouper sandwich.

When they came, as I was putting it together, I said out loud “this is flounder I swear.” He said the same thing, waitress was gone, so we dug in. YEP…flounder. Place was busy and we were missing the fish, so we just kept eating.

When server came back I said “I know I’m probably just crazy, but I’ve been eating these fish all of my life, and I swear that sandwich was flounder!”

She says: “No sir, we don’t even have flounder on the menu anymore,” and I just say okay whatever let us pay.

5 minutes later the manager comes back…guess what!!! Yep, was flounder. The “new cook” messed up…yeah freaking right!

I wonder how many people that don’t know any better get taken by these crooks?

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I have no opinion on killing fish, but I do have a logical question.
From a tournament perspective, if a release is worth 600pts, and a weighed fish is worth 1pt per pound.
Why would you weigh a fish less than 120ish inches, as the math seems to indicate this is what it takes to get a 600lb fish?
Are you just weighing because its legal (because you can), even though point value is less?

Again- I have no opinion on this, just curious from tournament perspective.

quote:
Originally posted by budman6pk

I have no opinion on killing fish, but I do have a logical question.
From a tournament perspective, if a release is worth 600pts, and a weighed fish is worth 1pt per pound.
Why would you weigh a fish less than 120ish inches, as the math seems to indicate this is what it takes to get a 600lb fish?
Are you just weighing because its legal (because you can), even though point value is less?

Again- I have no opinion on this, just curious from tournament perspective.

I asked the same question on page 1.

It appears there’s a “release” category and a “kill” category or something, and cash payouts for fish brought to the dock.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Calcutta $$. Or a bird in the hand/two in the bush. If you have a kill fish at the boat and it wins you the calcutta, why release it and lose the release catagory to someone that catches a rat blue and gets hot on a school of sails around a bait ball?

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

In the Calcutta, essentially a side bet, there is money for the largest fish weighed and it is a lot of money.

A lot of boats only fish the release division and are mostly trying to win the governors cup.Some only fish a couple tournaments and fish the kill division for the money.I dont know what the cup can buy I know what cash buys.

What I want to know is how did the Bohicket tournament committee screw up the weigh in times? Did they make an announcement over the radio on the morning of the tourney and if you didn’t happen to be on the right channel, well, “too bad?”

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau

Eating marlin is a waste of perfectly good crab trap bait.

quote:

I just made a sandwich from one, I’ll have to disagree with you

bulletsrcheap

quote:
Originally posted by theepirate
quote:

I just made a sandwich from one, I’ll have to disagree with you

bulletsrcheap

I tried it in Hawaii. Didn't care for it too much. That being said, it was some kind of smoked marlin snack stick that came out of the cooler.

Next time you have a chance to get some fry it.In 1990 we had a 500 lb blue we couldnt revive we brought it home,sent a pile to g-town to Sammy Crayton to smoke.Kept 30lbs took it up to the restaurant we were tied up behind they fried it at a cookout at the marina it got gone everyone said it was great told them the next week what it was should have seen the looks.