Governors Cup

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

Eating marlin is a waste of perfectly good crab trap bait.

Not sure your experience or how it was prepared, but I’ll pay for your crab bait if you bring in a marlin and want to give it to me. If you are not bringing it in for weight, gut it before putting it on ice please.

I like mudfish (out of running water) but don’t like tilapia. To each their own. Bet I could cook many species of fish and you would be surprised at their palatability.

All that said, no one that fishes for Bill fish ever rarely targets them for food in S.C. Dolphin and Wahoo are the main food targets. It’s all for a good time and bragging rights. I have no problem with that. We have a healthy resource of them for those that are able to target them.

I fished with a Gentleman that is/was part owner in a boat that held many offshore tournaments records. He rarely eats any fish, sometimes crab legs, lobster and a stuffed flounder…

“Why Bruce?”

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

If it weren’t for these tournaments, marlin would have been gone a long time ago. What other reason do you need?

I don’t agree with you on that statement. IF it was not for these tournaments not many people in S.C. would even target them. Sure some would, the elite top echelon of the sports fishermen, that are not looking for tournament money still would for the pure fun of it. And of course them having the monetary ability to do so.

I know one or two people that own a boat and seldom even fish on it while letting their captain go out in hope of winning a tournament. It’s a bragging right. All good!

What was the saving grace was the reduction in longline fishermen.

“Why Bruce?”