Green Glow

I must admit I was a little skeptical when Darrell Keith of Hydro Glow Lights first began to tell me about his strange looking green fishing lights. I had been reading about these lights being used by freshwater fisherman and how they were becoming very popular in the gem clear saltwaters of Florida, but I really did not think it would be effective in the dingy waters of the Lowcountry. I spoke with several different people and they echoed the same thoughts. Darrell was confident and felt that the design of his light would work. He said “I am going to send you one and I want you to take it and try it out”. Last Wednesday night, my dad, my brother Tim, and I finally got a chance to get out in the harbor and put the light to the test. We were fishing the out going tide in the Harbor and as you can imagine, the water was not very clear.

The sun went down and the tide was beginning to move so we hooked the light up and slipped it over the side. I was amazed at how well the light penetrated the water and created a larger area of green glow. I was not sure what to expect so we began to cast around the area keeping a close eye on the light. After about 15 minutes of no action I began to think the light was not going to work. Suddenly I saw a silver flash and then another and sure enough a school of baitfish began to swim around the light. I kept casting into the green hue thinking that any minute I would get a bite. Dad was making sure the light was firmly attached to the battery and accidentally turned off the light. A bluefish immediately charged in and hit my spoon. I had been expecting the fish to come crashing into the light, but when this happened we realized that the fish were hanging on the darker outer edges and we began to hear the pops and splashes of feeding fish.  We switched to top-water plugs and began to cast into the darker waters outside of the light.  With a couple of chugs there was a big splash and my reel began to sing. Several strong runs and jumps later I landed a very nice ladyfish. We