Hard to See Poles

It is sometimes hard to see my poles at night. Has anyone got a good suggestion on this.

01 Hewes Redfisher, 90 Yam 2 Strk

Tape a blue glowstick to the top.

glow sticks x2 but I did see this morning a fellow selling some poles and the oles he said had 9v led light strip on it

in the swap shop posted by Ruffwater

hanks for the replies. I generally put some flagging tape on the poles during the day. Amazing how the white pvc pole disappears against the water.

conspicuity tape at any auto parts store…you know the red and white reflective stuff they put on tractor trailers? Hit that with your flashlights and you can’t miss the poles…
https://www.amazon.com/Conspicuity-Hug-Reflective-Adhesive-Mailboxes/dp/B00Y2CBBSM

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I think you just like saying “conspicuity”. Most of us just call it reflective tape. But, it does work.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Its the law that you have reflective tape on your poles! My son gave me some pet walker lights years ago that run on watch batterys, they worked great taped to the top of the end poles!

You must have the reflective tape. Go to Dollar tree and get a bunch of glow sticks to tape to your poles - they have one package that has 4 for $1 . One year I tied a banks sinker to a glow stick and thew it in with the bait. It was covered up with shrimp!

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

You must have the reflective tape. Go to Dollar tree and get a bunch of glow sticks to tape to your poles - they have one package that has 4 for $1 . One year I tied a banks sinker to a glow stick and thew it in with the bait. It was covered up with shrimp!

Light spook them? Would be a good way to make sure your cast is on target.

Thanks for the many responses. I plan to put tiny light on pole 1 and 10. All poles will get a section of hi-glo foam kids use in swimming pools to help see and help poles float. My poles are pvc with cap on the end and solid aluminum spear on the end epoxied and pressed into the pole. These have worked well in the past for sticking in the mud. About 16’ overall.

Amazon sells reflective tape in a big roll. Much cheaper than the auto parts store. You don’t need DOT approved.
Use the same pattern on each pole so they are easy to identify.
Also run the pattern low enough you don’t have to shine up to see the reflective tape. Low tide can put the top of the poles 10ft out of the water.

My poles have a candy cane pattern wrapped down several feet. Never have a problem finding them.

I also mark two of the poles with another wrap of reflective tape and put them as poles 1 and 10…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

I use these on my poles:
https://www.amazon.com/Buggy-Lights-Flashing-Stroller-Safety/dp/B00FJB1GVC/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472487093&sr=8-3&keywords=stroller+lights

These stroller lights work great and are pretty waterproof. $10 for 2…so $50 to get a light for every pole or you can just buy some to stick on the first and last pole. I have found that they usually work for 2-3 seasons of pretty good use then they start to go bad. I usually put them on before sticking the poles in and then click them on later when it gets dark. The straps are a little tricky to attach once you have them in the water from the boat hence putting them on the pole first. They hold really well and do not slide down the pole. They are also pretty saltwater resistant. I put one on every pole and a stick a red one on my last pole. Hope this helps

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, etc and get solar yard lights for around $1 ea. Set them out in the sun during the day you are going out so that they get charged up. I use these on pole 1 and 10 to mark my outside poles.

BadBob

If you ain’t the lead dog then the scenery never changes

It is tough on a new moon if you are out in open flats to see them. I have red/white reflective tape on all and have red barber stripe on 1 & 10. I also have string on top of 1 & 10 where your can tie a cheep glow stick. The cheep ones are only the size of a cigarette and just right on the brightness. It works good.

J Ford

They make a reflective servayers tape that works well day and night, double tie about 4’ length on each pole and with wind blowing you can see the from a mile away!

Found this on a display at Lowes.
Comes in 4 colors so you will double throw or skip poles less.
Water proof and under 4 bucks.

I don’t always Tell the Truth,
But when I do I exaggerate

Sorry wrong picture

I don’t always Tell the Truth,
But when I do I exaggerate

I use lightsticks on the end poles + GPS. Follow the same GPS track a few times and your GPS forms a “racetrack” that you follow after a pass. Use the “Man Overboard” function to put a temporary waypoint on the first pole.

spec

1980 Skandia 21 w/ '93 JohnRude 150 gas drinker