Haven't the foggiest..

You really got us on that one Baydog.Haha Welcome aboard Wes. I can’t figure out that pocket knife thing EF.

1 Like

@sman
Its a Timber Scribe, sometimes called a race knife or a race raze.

Depression era knife used by loggers to mark trees and logs

1 Like

@Offthechain
Kinda like trench art, only aboard ship.

Its a World War era 20MM anti aircraft shell bottom thats been flaired and was used as a bobbie-pin holder on a makeup dresser for a very long time.

Funny how the oddest of things conjure up lost memories.

1 Like

The phone is for scale

Coal miner’s money

Owe my soul to the company store…

1 Like

That coal miners money was called scrip.

It was a pay advance or loan given to a miner against his wages.

The scrip was only good at that particular mines store, so the company, like OTC said, literally owned your indentured arse, or soul as the song goes.

Good one

No guesses on your garter belt?

Time to reveal

Up front transparency, I found this underground when removing an old fence on the farm and no one has been able to identify what it was, it was rust encased so I cleaned the rust off and used a smoke wrench to get it apart and functional before spraying it with black paint, I added the compression spring which looked like one may have been there at one time

Is it wrought-iron?

If so I think its an old door knocker.

Possibly

What would be the purpose of the latch looking device sort of like a flat metal riveted in the head that moves be on a door knocker?

What was the hexagon box you posted?

I’m guessing that it’s part of a gate latch, or a door stop?

Its art really, just a woodworker showing off his skills, and if you look closley he had mad skills.

That box encompasses 5572 pieces in its construction.

The entire box is wood inlay, it is the way old handmade furniture was decorated. Its actually called
Marquetry.

This is a good example from a dresser in my house circa 1930’s

Could be, I found it on my grandpa’s farm he bought in late 30’s and he was very tight financially strapped by loans. He would used wire or baler twine over buying a fancy latch so it maybe from the previous owner.

There was an attached 7 acres with a dilapidated house adjoining the NE corner of the farm that he thought was part of the farm. He had an argument about property lines in the 60’s and the dude researched old deeds to prove grandpa didn’t own it. No survivors were found and luckily the judge decided since grandpa had been paying taxes on it since purchase he awarded it to him.

Things were different back then

Some other Marquerty, its a lost art

1 Like